FTSE: 8000 by year end?

chimera

LE
It was very low, but yes moved up a bit the last few days.
It’s been trading in a range 1.1-1.2 since the Brexit vote, with support in the zone 1.05 to 1.08. It may be forming an inverse head and shoulders pattern which indicates reversal.

EURUSD has been in a nice downtrend over the same period. There’s of volatility over the last month; it’s impossible to discern what Is happening short term as it is news driven.

I don’t think there’s much to see here; the expected flight to safe havens is ongoing. Everything else is volatile.

Indeed.

The question being, how long is that volatility going to last ?

Volatility means uncertainty.

Fundamental answer; when the uncertainty fades and there’s a degree of predictability in the news. We’ll probably exit uncertainly into a bear trend; as your link predicts.

Technical answer; have a look at the VIX (the Chicago Board Options Exchange volatility index. It’s a useful measure of market volatility. Check out the all time chart on this link and compare the 2008 spike with the current one. When the VIX is back trading in a range of 8-12 volatility has gone.

My gamble on this crash is £3,500 in a HL portfolio.

HL UK Select Fund (acc) -£2000
Lloyds - £500
Sylvania Platinum - £500
Taylor Wimpy - £500

My SIPP has gone from being 24% down to being 18% down.

jg505

Old-Salt
Well, I see that my expected dividend payment of around £1600 has just been cancelled. Not very happy at all, considering the firm was actually undertaking a buy back of shares, so is well cash flush anyway.

My only plus, is that the small top up I made a couple of weeks ago, I managed to sell on Monday, and made a small 18% profit.

Will now firmly sit on any spare cash, keeping my power dry, until further notice.

Yup, I have had a few emails to the same effect tell me no dividends, but my HL UK select income fund will pay out but no decision on future payouts....

On the plus side, my SIPP is now only 12.8% down (having made back 12.2% and my speculative portfolio is up 0.79%......

jg505

Old-Salt
Yup, I have had a few emails to the same effect tell me no dividends, but my HL UK select income fund will pay out but no decision on future payouts....

On the plus side, my SIPP is now only 12.8% down (having made back 12.2% and my speculative portfolio is up 0.79%......
Best of luck mucka.

I previously mentioned upthread that the ''Bad Data '' that was going to affect the footsies had not been published yet.

OBR predictions for GDP growth through 2020

If Q2 GDP does come in anywhere near predicted at -35%

There is not a pups chance in hell of Q3 coming in at +25% or Q4 coming in at +20%

Expect big negative movements as this starts feeding through.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
I checked my share portfolio yesterday expecting to see a train crash. Overall -6% which was a lot better than I expected as it had dropped to -12% when this all started to bite.

D

Deleted 164106

I checked my share portfolio yesterday expecting to see a train crash. Overall -6% which was a lot better than I expected as it had dropped to -12% when this all started to bite.
Two of my funds are up by about 5%, the rest down. Worst are my Barclays shares - down 37% Good job I'm in for the long term!

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Remarkably, my best performing shares, and I only dabble, are Games Workshop. At one point in the past, they were close to going under, but then with the Warhammer PC games, they had a bit of a resurgence. Currently over 1000% profit on them :)

Still dishing out '' Olds '' belter.

Latest from the IMF

The global economy will contract by 3% this year as countries around the world shrink at the fastest pace in decades, the International Monetary Fund says.

The IMF described the global decline as the worst since the Great Depression of the 1930s.

It said the pandemic had plunged the world into a "crisis like no other".

Reality hasn't hit home yet - You keep believing and investing,

Remarkably, my best performing shares, and I only dabble, are Games Workshop. At one point in the past, they were close to going under, but then with the Warhammer PC games, they had a bit of a resurgence. Currently over 1000% profit on them :)
That is an amazing profit line, when did you buy into GW.

philc

LE
This for the long term, 7 to 10 years till I retire proper. Markets will be slow to recover but will rocket a little later maybe 2/3 years. The world will be seeking to make things secure and prosperous.

EVAvW6wXgAIlM3-.jpg

CamNostos

Old-Salt
When did you buy them?

Still too thick to understand why, dimwit.
I understand this

FTSE 100FTSE 100 London
London
-1.41%5709.57-81.74
FTSE 250FTSE 250 London
London
-3.32%15549.16-533.41

Perhaps you should have asked a friendly MOD to close the thread at the end of 2019 when it became apparent that your delight had quickly turned to sh!te.

Still going down and will continue to go down over the course of the next 3 months.

It's a buying opportunity - Fill your boots.

Latest Threads