FTSE: 8000 by year end?

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
From a personal perspective, because I don’t “have a go” at anything; I have an established set of rules to manage my risk and they don’t include gambling on swings in volatile markets!

Even if I did trade individual equities how would I pick Easy Jet or JD from the pack? If it’s not on my watch list for a potential entry, the chances of me seeing a swing are small. And then when it has swung the chances of me getting a good, clean entry are smaller still.

There’s also increased risk in trading individual equities in a volatile market. The retail trader is only ever trading small volumes, getting on the back of the market movers and riding. It’s way to easy for your stop loss to be jumped when markets are volatile and when liquidity is variable. It’s very easy to trade in hindsight but you don’t make any cash!

ThaT’s my take on it. Others will have different risk appetites. Or, more likely, don’t have the same discipline.
I like what you say however I am pleased to have banked £3017.00 from Jd Sports this morning, it would have been more But I was a little late. Meanwhile Sirius minerals lost me a lot! I never thought that would happen! not with orders from China and South America for large sales contracts.... However!

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
The Dow managed during WW2. It'll manage now.

That was on the strength of supplying war goods to waring nations, , not so now, just businesses folding in many cases.

For those that are still in denial / refuse to believe / are totally ignorant to the shockwave that is still to come

A little perspective

This is what is coming to the UK when the Government ceases to pay workers wages.

Wow, that has really kicked the Dow...

Dow Jones Jumps 900 Points Despite Record Jobless Claims, As U.S. Coronavirus Cases Top 68,000; Apple, Boeing, Amazon Key Movers

The markets are resilient and will find a way to climb out of the pit. Port though has no faith in the American people to rally and thinks we are all just doomed. I imagine when the checks from Uncle Sam go out people will spend like mad out of boredom or necessity alone.

mcphee1948

Old-Salt
The markets are resilient and will find a way to climb out of the pit. Port though has no faith in the American people to rally and thinks we are all just doomed. I imagine when the checks from Uncle Sam go out people will spend like mad out of boredom or necessity alone.
This is the kind of post that distresses me, because it sounds like it comes from a parallel world, where all that matters is making money,

This is the kind of post that distresses me, because it sounds like it comes from a parallel world, where all that matters is making money,
Do you think this pandemic will last forever? I would prefer not to spend a decade trying to recover, so yes I want the markets to do well.

Do you think this pandemic will last forever? I would prefer not to spend a decade trying to recover, so yes I want the markets to do well.

Is there a Cheque for everyone in the US, how do they decide who will receive a cheque

I can see that New York is badly affected, probably the Eastern and Western seaboards, how about say Idaho or Colorado is all America self isolating ?

If you live in Idaho and hardly affected it a nice gift to have

Archie

Is there a Cheque for everyone in the US, how do they decide who will receive a cheque

I can see that New York is badly affected, probably the Eastern and Western seaboards, how about say Idaho or Colorado is all America self isolating ?

Archie
The checks will be sent out based on household income, and the amount will vary based on family size.

Colorado has a few cases, and are doing far worse than my state. I would imagine much of America is to one degree or another. We are under a partial quarantine here.

It depends on what sector one works in. For some the money will be vital to live. For others like me, it will be mostly saved and then used to stimulate the economy to a degree.

mcphee1948

Old-Salt

Archie

Dow Jones Jumps 900 Points Despite Record Jobless Claims, As U.S. Coronavirus Cases Top 68,000; Apple, Boeing, Amazon Key Movers

I think it was a somewhat wider example of what I used to call the “ John Humphrys Effect “ … when he was on R4 Today programme he had an uncanny knack in reading a bad report about a Company and for it to surge when the LSE opened ... in fact he commented on this effect himself .

Last edited:
I used to know a few people that believed in reading charts. One of the key factors they like, where resistance levels based on multiples of 360.

2*360 being 720, 20*360 being 7200; 15*360 being 5400., 60*360 is 21600...

If you actually look at the Dow / FTSE 100 it does quite often bounce off those levels...

I used to know a few people that believed in reading charts. One of the key factors they like, where resistance levels based on multiples of 360.

2*360 being 720, 20*360 being 7200; 15*360 being 5400., 60*360 is 21600...

If you actually look at the Dow / FTSE 100 it does quite often bounce off those levels...

I’m a technical trader. I trade off support and resistance lines and trend lines and, if I don’t have them, I don’t trade.

I’ve never come across the multiples of 360 concept and TBH it doesn’t make sense to me. There’s no logic as to why markets would find support or resistance in multiples of 360; Fibonacci makes much more sense.

This sort of technical analysis only works reliably when markets are behaving rationally, with plenty of liquidity and volume.

That’s why I’m out at the moment.

Nah, like this

US markets% changeValueChange
Dow Jones Dow Jones New YorkCLOSED
New York
-4.06%21636.78-915.39
Nasdaq Nasdaq New YorkCLOSED
New York
-3.79%7502.38-295.16
S&P 500 S&P 500 ChicagoCLOSED
Chicago
-3.37%2541.47-88.60

The Dow is only down 22% in less than a month and the devastation from Covid has not filtered through yet.

Trumpty Dumpty thinks that the US is going to be open for business as usual by the Easter Weekend. :D :D

Anyway - Just to get it back on topic

The FTSE 100 is at risk of suffering its worst quarter on record after renewed concern about the economic impact of coronavirus caused global markets to fall again, ending a three-day rally.

Britain’s index of leading shares has tumbled by 26.9 per cent this quarter, close to the record quarterly loss of 27.9 per cent set in 1987. Yesterday it closed down 305.40 points, or 5.3 per cent, at 5,510.33.

You keep believing and investing ;);)

Got that house sold yet ?

Last edited:
I’m a technical trader. I trade off support and resistance lines and trend lines and, if I don’t have them, I don’t trade.

I’ve never come across the multiples of 360 concept and TBH it doesn’t make sense to me. There’s no logic as to why markets would find support or resistance in multiples of 360; Fibonacci makes much more sense.

This sort of technical analysis only works reliably when markets are behaving rationally, with plenty of liquidity and volume.

That’s why I’m out at the moment.
I agree, no logic at all, but...
WD Gann was a fan, wrote 45 Years On Wall Street decades ago. Book still in print.

I agree, no logic at all, but...
WD Gann was a fan, wrote 45 Years On Wall Street decades ago. Book still in print.
Actually he didn’t. The significance of 360 in Gann’s writings is the circle, not horizontal lines of support or resistance. Gann angles are divisions of the 360 degree circle and are used to provide trend lines not support and resistance. I know traders use Gann angles in their analysis; I don’t use them.

Much of Gann’s writing was about commodities not equities. He developed astrological explanations for long term cyclicity, trends and inflection points on cash crop markets. Lots of hindsight.

Plus there is significant doubt that he actually was a successful trader.....

2 news items that will bring deep joy and happiness to the Footsies and BB

The lockdown in the UK to try to slow the spread of coronavirus could go on for six months and the country may not return to its normal way of life until the autumn, a key government doctor has said.

UK economy 'to shrink 15% next quarter'

The slump in the oil price comes as economists predict UK economic output could plunge by an unprecedented 15% in the next three months.

Keep the faith and keep investing.