FTSE: 8000 by year end?

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
I think you could be right.
jg505 Sorry I was wrong Lloyd's dividend next month is the final for the year at 2.25,

Shenanigans in the US. The $2 trn package seems to be getting closer, but both sides want their own little pet subjects included

Watch out for index rises when this is agreed.

The US Senate has passed a nearly $2tn stimulus package to help rescue the American economy ravaged by the coronavirus pandemic as Donald Trumpconsiders easing restrictions aimed at combating the contagion.

After days of around-the-clock negotiations between senators and administration officials, a bipartisan compromise was struck over what is expected to be the largest US economic stimulus measure ever passed.

The bill next goes to the House, where Democrats have introduced their own proposal.

Serious question for you.

How far do you think the Indexes will rise and how long do you think it will last ?

As most of the World goes into lockdown, as economies are further ravaged, it will be as effective as a fart in space.

I will say nothing about creating further debt, that will only produce it's own problems further down the line.

How far do you think the Indexes will rise and how long do you think it will last ?

As most of the World goes into lockdown, as economies are further ravaged, it will be as effective as a fart in space.

I will say nothing about creating further debt, that will only produce it's own problems further down the line.
Any small town investor or financial advisor who tries to answer that is guessing. The markets are extremely volatile at the moment, responding to rapidly changing fundamentals that cannot be predicted by major funds let alone the amateur investor.

I’ve successfully traded CFDs on FX and stock indices for the best part of a decade. Small beer; the biggest fund I’ve traded is $250k, but I cashed out and now have $40k in my trading account. I’m out; there’s no way I’m going near the markets when there’s no trend. And there won’t be a trend for months.

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
Any small town investor or financial advisor who tries to answer that is guessing. The markets are extremely volatile at the moment, responding to rapidly changing fundamentals that cannot be predicted by major funds let alone the amateur investor.

I’ve successfully traded CFDs on FX and stock indices for the best part of a decade. Small beer; the biggest fund I’ve traded is $250k, but I cashed out and now have $40k in my trading account. I’m out; there’s no way I’m going near the markets when there’s no trend. And there won’t be a trend for months.
But while we sit at home with time on our hands' why not a bit of private 'swing trading' Jd Sport is good for this £3.25 two days ago now over £5.00 today, also Easyjet with even better swings £4.50 to days ago, £6.60 at today's close.. If one can make £4 or £5 K in three days why not have a go?

Last edited:
You scribble all over the thread like a chimp flinging shit, refuse to answer a single question I've asked you, then want me to treat you seriously?

Jog on big lad.

Jog on

You scribble all over the thread like a chimp flinging shit,
Some more shit for you hot off the press

Germany’s economy could contract by as much as 20% this year due to the impact of the coronavirus, an Ifo economist said on Wednesday, as German business morale tumbled to its lowest level since the global financial crisis in 2009.

Replicate / increase that throughout the rest of the EU, inc the UK.

The Markets will love it
Refuse to answer a single question I've asked you,
When did that become a mandatory part of ARRSE membership ?

F for Fail

Some more sh!t hot off the press

U.S. stock index futures fell on Wednesday after a strong rebound in the previous session, as an imminent $2 trillion rescue package failed to completely allay investor concerns over the economic threat from the coronavirus pandemic.
Why ?

We still haven’t seen evidence that things are improving in terms of contagion. We also haven’t fully appreciated how far this recession will go.

I think it comes under denial.

Some more sh!t
Of course it is, its from you.

You seem not to have noticed the best day on the Dow since 1933...

PS - the NYSE isn't open at the moment, the article talks about futures - its called profit taking.

When we need someone to piss on our shoes and tell us its raining, you'll be the first person we'll call.

Up your game or crawl off.

You seem not to have noticed the best day on the Dow since 1933...
:D :D :D

Your getting your frillies in twist over 1 day ?

I thought you knew what you were talking about ?

You would / should know that these 1 day spikes are pretty normal in bear Markets.

Another epic Fail.

Just for you - Try reading the figures and understanding the implications.

Flash PMI signals record slump in business activity amid emergency public health measures to halt spread of coronavirus

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
You scribble all over the thread like a chimp flinging shit, refuse to answer a single question I've asked you, then want me to treat you seriously?

Jog on big lad.

Jog on
Bravo Good evening! why so insulting,? this could be a good thread where some of us can learn a little, instead of schoolgirls bickering!

But while we sit at home with time on our hands' why not a bit of private 'swing trading' Jd Sport is good for this £3.25 two days ago now over £5.00 today, also Easyjet with even better swings £4.50 to days ago, £6.60 at today's close.. If one can make £4 or £5 K in three days why not have a go?
From a personal perspective, because I don’t “have a go” at anything; I have an established set of rules to manage my risk and they don’t include gambling on swings in volatile markets!

Even if I did trade individual equities how would I pick Easy Jet or JD from the pack? If it’s not on my watch list for a potential entry, the chances of me seeing a swing are small. And then when it has swung the chances of me getting a good, clean entry are smaller still.

There’s also increased risk in trading individual equities in a volatile market. The retail trader is only ever trading small volumes, getting on the back of the market movers and riding. It’s way to easy for your stop loss to be jumped when markets are volatile and when liquidity is variable. It’s very easy to trade in hindsight but you don’t make any cash!

ThaT’s my take on it. Others will have different risk appetites. Or, more likely, don’t have the same discipline.

Some will make money jumping in and out on the swings. IMO that is merely gambling, and a high risk activity. I am sure that this market (and all global markets) have much further to fall. It may be a couple of months, or longer, before the bottom is reached. There will be many upswings along the way and we will only know what the bottom is in hindsight.

The longer term question is, what happens then? Markets were already over valued and a lot of money will have been lost. This will affect the risk appetite for some time. I personally do not see a "V" type recovery. It will more likely be some sort of "L" or "U" over a prolonged period.

The title of this thread was written in different times. The ftse may not hit 8,000 again in my lifetime (and I hope I have a long life ahead). Note that the ftse is always linked to the US, and I fear for the US at the moment.

Some will make money jumping in and out on the swings. IMO that is merely gambling, and a high risk activity. I am sure that this market (and all global markets) have much further to fall. It may be a couple of months, or longer, before the bottom is reached. There will be many upswings along the way and we will only know what the bottom is in hindsight.

The longer term question is, what happens then? Markets were already over valued and a lot of money will have been lost. This will affect the risk appetite for some time. I personally do not see a "V" type recovery. It will more likely be some sort of "L" or "U" over a prolonged period.

The title of this thread was written in different times. The ftse may not hit 8,000 again in my lifetime (and I hope I have a long life ahead). Note that the ftse is always linked to the US, and I fear for the US at the moment.
There’s money to be made short side if you can find an entry.

I personally do not see a "V" type recovery. It will more likely be some sort of "L" or "U" over a prolonged period.
It will be an L shaped recovery, but the L will look more like this l________________________________

Singapore is the first to release it's Q1 2020 GDP report, coming in at a massive - 10.6%.

Bigger hits are forecast for Q2 GDP.

There is no quick fix to the current situation.

jg505

Old-Salt
Quick question please, when a firm goes ex-divi, do you have to hold your shares for the whole of that day or can you sell them, for example, if the markets open at 0800, can you sell them at 0801, and still receive the dividend?

It's not something that I've ever done, as I tend to buy and hold my shares, and good ol' Google isn't giving me a clear answer.

Cheers in advance.

Quick question please, when a firm goes ex-divi, do you have to hold your shares for the whole of that day or can you sell them, for example, if the markets open at 0800, can you sell them at 0801, and still receive the dividend?

It's not something that I've ever done, as I tend to buy and hold my shares, and good ol' Google isn't giving me a clear answer.

Cheers in advance.
Shares go ex dividend on a particular date.

The Dow managed during WW2. It'll manage now.

After 90 minutes trading, the main European markets are down between 1% and 2%.
Despite the US $2 Trillion intervention.

Why ?

Investors are nervous as the “reality of the economic hit starts to show through in the data”, says Fiona Cincotta of City Index.
1. Monthly PMI's

2. Quarterly GDP.

3. Unemployment levels.

Basics, but '' Old '' news, as I have already posted it above.

Latest Threads