FTSE: 8000 by year end?

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
Do Lloyds pay a dividend?
Yes, not big, 1.5p, they are ex div now. I have done well with Lloyds over the past 25 years, I am hoping for good things with the present problems over.

We all know the markets have crashed and there is doom and gloom aplenty.

I've posted a lot that demonstrates how markets ALWAYS recover, and up to date articles showing what various people see as buying opportunities. I've posted example asset allocations for various timeframes, shown what actually happened in the aftermath of the '87 Crash and pointed out the importance of timescale.

I've posted from professional knowledge and experience.

And I've done it without acting like a petulant child, too.
Individuals do not buy the market. They invest in individual shares or funds that hold individual shares. Even index trackers never exactly match the returns of the market indices that they track.

The markets have been on an extraordinary rise since 2008. However, that is very different to holding shares or funds in 2008 and continuing to hold them until the start of this crisis. Many of these shares are now worthless, eg RBS. Many shares have never recovered to anywhere near the 2008 highs.

The rise in the indices, ftse etc, are rarely matched by individuals, because the indices do not suffer losses when individual shares fall, these shares merely fall out of the index and are replaced by a share that is growing in value.

There is next to no skill involved in buying shares it is much more based on luck. I am not against buying shares, I just think that the risks are often not understood, and for many the risks outweigh the potential rewards.

jg505

Old-Salt
Individuals do not buy the market. They invest in individual shares or funds that hold individual shares. Even index trackers never exactly match the returns of the market indices that they track.

The markets have been on an extraordinary rise since 2008. However, that is very different to holding shares or funds in 2008 and continuing to hold them until the start of this crisis. Many of these shares are now worthless, eg RBS. Many shares have never recovered to anywhere near the 2008 highs.

The rise in the indices, ftse etc, are rarely matched by individuals, because the indices do not suffer losses when individual shares fall, these shares merely fall out of the index and are replaced by a share that is growing in value.

There is next to no skill involved in buying shares it is much more based on luck. I am not against buying shares, I just think that the risks are often not understood, and for many the risks outweigh the potential rewards.
Then you need to stick to the cardinal rule, never invest money that you can't afford to lose.

mcphee1948

Old-Salt
Don't the above posts, seem to show this - that our society is infested by parasites.

Who never do any honest work, never make anything, or build anything, or serve anyone, or do anything whatsoever, except make themselves rich at the expense of ordinary people.

Can we rid ourselves of these blood-sucking parasites?

Don't the above posts, seem to show this - that our society is infested by parasites.

Who never do any honest work, never make anything, or build anything, or serve anyone, or do anything whatsoever, except make themselves rich at the expense of ordinary people.

Do you have a pension other than Military or state?

jg505

Old-Salt

Are you for real? Nearly 30 years service in HM Forces, don't have any debt, mortgage free and able to live on my service pension. Anything that I'm able to invest, I do because I've never lived on credit or beyond my means. But that makes me a parasite.

Idiot.

Last edited:

mcphee1948

Old-Salt
Are you for real? Nearly 30 years service in HM Forces, don't have any debt, mortgage free and able to live on my service pension. Anything that I'm able to invest, I do because I've never lived on credit or beyond my means. But that makes me a parasite.

Idiot.
I was aiming my remarks at entirely useless people who've been nothing but bankers all their lives. If you've had 30 years in HM Forces, you have done good service to your country, and as a civilian, I do sincerely thank you, for protecting me by your work.

I was aiming my remarks at entirely useless people who've been nothing but bankers all their lives. If you've had 30 years in HM Forces, you have done good service to your country, and as a civilian, I do sincerely thank you, for protecting me by your work.
A lot of people have this view of Bankers, but it is largely based on ignorance. The banking system and financial services industry is essential for trade and wealth creation that we are all beneficiaries of!

If individuals chose to buy individual shares, they are fools. Your comment about RBS underlines that. As does your comment "The markets have been on an extraordinary rise since 2008. However, that is very different to holding shares or funds in 2008 and continuing to hold them until the start of this crisis. " Buy the index, get the returns less a very small margin, enjoy the ride. Up and down.

Index trackers match the returns of their indices less a very small charge. L&G, for example will replicate for 20 basis points.

Indices do suffer losses when individual shares fall. Of course they do; indices consist, of their very nature, of an amalgam price of their constituent shares.

I don't wish to sound rude but you are seriously out of your depth here.

If individuals chose to buy individual shares, they are fools. Your comment about RBS underlines that. As does your comment "The markets have been on an extraordinary rise since 2008. However, that is very different to holding shares or funds in 2008 and continuing to hold them until the start of this crisis. " Buy the index, get the returns less a very small margin, enjoy the ride. Up and down.

Index trackers match the returns of their indices less a very small charge. L&G, for example will replicate for 20 basis points.

Indices do suffer losses when individual shares fall. Of course they do; indices consist, of their very nature, of an amalgam price of their constituent shares.

I don't wish to sound rude but you are seriously out of your depth here.
I have been a private investor for close on 40 years. I suspect that I have more experience than you.

mcphee1948

Old-Salt
A lot of people have this view of Bankers, but it is largely based on ignorance. The banking system and financial services industry is essential for trade and wealth creation that we are all beneficiaries of!
Of course you're right that a banking and financial system is necessary. Without it, industry and the useful products which it makes for us all, couldn't function.

What I really find distasteful is bankers and financiers making money out of trading in esoteric things like "derivatives", which don't seem to make anything useful except money for the people who manipulate them.

It would appear, that for some, the message is still finding it difficult to sink in.

Financial markets in Europe and the US have continued to fall despite fresh action by the Federal Reserve to support the American economy.

The US central bank said it would buy as much government debt as needed to soothe markets, while providing new financing for households and firms.

Shares in Europe and the US rose on the news, but soon fell back as Congress remained divided over further relief.

Forget what you know. Forget what you think you know.

This is far bigger than a credit crisis or anything that anyone posting on here has probably lived through.

An oft repeated mantra '' The Markets always recover ''

Sure, they might and probably will - The question that really should be getting asked is '' What will be left of the Market to actually recover '' ?

The FTSE-100 dropped almost another 4%, closing down 197 points at 4994.

As the corporate toll of the virus outbreak mounted, Britain’s financial watchdog wrote to companies over the weekend, advising them to delay their financial results for at least two weeks.

Kathleen Brooks, founder of the consultancy Minerva Analysis, said on BBC Radio 4: “This is a very big shift from the Financial Conduct Authority, this is a big statement, and there have been some people speculating that maybe this is a sign that stock markets will close down.

“One assumes that they don’t want to see continued falls of 15%-plus per week, but this is very unprecedented. Nothing like this happened during the financial crisis.”

Nothing to see here folks - Carry on normal jogging, it's a buying opportunity ;) ;)

Of course you're right that a banking and financial system is necessary. Without it, industry and the useful products which it makes for us all, couldn't function.

What I really find distasteful is bankers and financiers making money out of trading in esoteric things like "derivatives", which don't seem to make anything useful except money for the people who manipulate them.
Derivatives aren’t “esoteric”. They’re a critical part of the finance system. Without the ability to hedge risk, trade in long term goods and services wouldn’t happen.

My business buys products that are denominated in US$. We hedge our exchange rate risk; if we didn’t we’d be exposed to varying exchange rates over which we have no control.

Farmers hedge their crop price; when they play wheat they want a return whatever the global price is doing.

Do you insure your house, car, life or holidayIf you do then you are the end customer for a derivative. Your risk is sold on as a derivative.

Bankers are just the facilitator of an essential trade.

Derivatives aren’t “esoteric”. They’re a critical part of the finance system. Without the ability to hedge risk, trade in long term goods and services wouldn’t happen.

My business buys products that are denominated in US$. We hedge our exchange rate risk; if we didn’t we’d be exposed to varying exchange rates over which we have no control.

Farmers hedge their crop price; when they play wheat they want a return whatever the global price is doing.

Do you insure your house, car, life or holidayIf you do then you are the end customer for a derivative. Your risk is sold on as a derivative.

Bankers are just the facilitator of an essential trade.
Much like on the https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/army-regular-reserves-to-be-called-up.299048/page-12 thread, @mcphee1948 is way out of his depth.

but I'm right
Of course you are

UK heads for recession ‘of a scale not seen in modern history’ as activity collapses

Taylor Wimpey, one of the UK’s biggest house builders, has just announced it is closing all its construction sites, show homes and sales centres.

It has axed its 2020 final dividend worth £125m and a planned special dividend worth £360m, and like other companies, is unable to give any financial guidance.

This is no ordinary crisis - This is going to become a full on Depression Crisis.

Indeed; I know what I'm talking about, which seems to annoy you.
It would appear that you do not have a clue what you are talking about - Or are in deep denial.

Today's UK Composite PMI

UK heads for deep recession as economy shrinks in March
NEWSFLASH: The UK economy is contracting at its fastest rate in at least two decades, as the service sector is hit extremely hard by the Covid-19 outbreak.
Guess how bad it is going to be next month ?

Although TBF to the UK it was slightly better than than France, Germany and the EZ 19

Latest Threads