FTSE 100 downturn

Well, I was going to buy a nice little outboard motor for my RIB this week, but am rethinking my budgets from today. There was a definite 'oh, feck' moment when I opened my Hargreaves Lansdown account.
When's the misery going to stop?

sunny james

War Hero
Don't panic Mr Mannering. I reckon the markets were looking for a bit of volatility in order to sell high buy low. The stop loss high frequency trading bots have done their job.
The fundamentals are good, the same as last week. I will look on this as a buying opportunity, similar to around the Brexit vote. The US markets finished in the green yesterday so fill yer boots.
Then again I am possibly talking bollocks.

Edit: just bunged a grand into L&g UK 100 Index to put my money where my mouth is.

Last edited:
Well, I was going to buy a nice little outboard motor for my RIB this week, but am rethinking my budgets from today. There was a definite 'oh, feck' moment when I opened my Hargreaves Lansdown account.
When's the misery going to stop?
What is your RIB currently powered with?

Don't panic Mr Mannering. I reckon the markets were looking for a bit of volatility in order to sell high buy low. The stop loss high frequency trading bots have done their job.
The fundamentals are good, the same as last week. I will look on this as a buying opportunity, similar to around the Brexit vote. The US markets finished in the green yesterday so fill yer boots.

Edit: just bunged a grand into L&g UK 100 Index to put my money where my mouth is.
It was ever thus.

Somebody with a few shorts starts a rumour that the US 'may' be in the market to raise interest rates. The weak willed then sell and then guys with hair gel step in and make a bob or two.

. . . oh, and it's 'Mr Mainwaring'.

Fred Rift alert: just dropped onto a nice refurbed 3.5 Tohatsu which I should get for about 350 of your non-confrontational and gender fluid Pounds.

Mostly, I think you're right, or at least most of what I've seen written by the more sane journos is. No panic, just a probably slow climb up the hill again.
Bugger it, I'm putting my money into hardware. Outboard here I come.

Fred Rift alert: just dropped onto a nice refurbed 3.5 Tohatsu which I should get for about 350 of your non-confrontational and gender fluid Pounds.
Not a drift at all. That was me floating past. (I'm doing the same with a 4hp Mariner which is going through the workshops at the moment - I'd persuaded the bloke to give me first dibs on it but got the jitters the other day when it looked like bread and water was to be my diet for a while. I don't like oars; too personal, if you see what I mean).

For once I jumped at the right time, thanks to reading an online article which gave me a heads up on one of my shares. Sold the lot last Wednesday and made a tidy profit before the price dropped.

:)

Now I'm just waiting for Saga to get its act together and push their share price back up.

For once I jumped at the right time, thanks to reading an online article which gave me a heads up on one of my shares. Sold the lot last Wednesday and made a tidy profit before the price dropped.

:)

Now I'm just waiting for Saga to get its act together and push their share price back up.
I hope you've got your incoming-hate-hard-hat on.

WindyDog

Old-Salt
You've lost nothing, you haven't sold any shares I take it? The only losers are those traders holding margin positions.

Means I can buy more shares next month. No dramas,

You've lost nothing, you haven't sold any shares I take it? The only losers are those traders holding margin positions.

Means I can buy more shares next month. No dramas,
Not me. In fact, looking at the whole front page of that particular account (I usually skip it and go directly to the meat) I discovered that I've still got a £1100 vacancy in my ISA, so the credit card's taking up the slack. All swings, roundabouts and sandpits in this playground.

AT55

LE
I'm told you really have to worry when the market drops and the price of gold starts to rise as that indicates the big boys have lost confidence in the market and are buying gold. As far as I know this has not happened. Warren Buffet and others have lost billions in the last few days so every loud has a silver whatsit.

sunny james

War Hero
Not me. In fact, looking at the whole front page of that particular account (I usually skip it and go directly to the meat) I discovered that I've still got a £1100 vacancy in my ISA, so the credit card's taking up the slack. All swings, roundabouts and sandpits in this playground.
Can you buy shares /funds on a credit card?

I'm told you really have to worry when the market drops and the price of gold starts to rise as that indicates the big boys have lost confidence in the market and are buying gold. As far as I know this has not happened. Warren Buffet and others have lost billions in the last few days so every loud has a silver whatsit.
Unless they have sold they have not lost

Archie

Latest Threads