FTRS - Veterans UK - the sting in the tail upon promotion

No. It is only where the job is not open to fair and open competition, requiring military service as a qualification for the job.
There are an increasing number of FTRS posts being created where prior (full time) military service is not required.

As an example, UKSF now offer FTRS contracts if you pass selection - but prior military service is not required. In that case would a prior-regular be expected to not be paid SF pay when a "pure" reservist would be?

In simple terms (and it definitely isn't simple depending what pension scheme you are on etc.) my understanding is that you can't earn more on FTRS than you did at the highest paying point of regular service by virtue of promotion, but you can take any subsequent FTRS pay rises (or pension increases) without further abatement....

Thus, if you left on £50k and get a pension of £20k, taking an FTRS job on £40k will result in an initial pension abatement of £10k. If you then promote back to £50k on FTRS, your pension would abate by a further £10k (although in reality there are tax constraints). But, should you also get a 1% rise each in pension and pay for that year, your total annual pay will rise £700 to £50.7k.

On my original FTRS contract I promoted after 12 months, but it merely increased my abatement; my take home remained more or less the same. It only started to go up through pay rises..
FTRS pays 40 grand? Where do I sign up?

Forces Pension Society

Sponsor
Sponsor
There are an increasing number of FTRS posts being created where prior (full time) military service is not required.

As an example, UKSF now offer FTRS contracts if you pass selection - but prior military service is not required. In that case would a prior-regular be expected to not be paid SF pay when a "pure" reservist would be?
If there is no prior military service required, there is a question about whether abatement is appropriate - but the argument is for a higher pay grade than mine. Someone who is successful in applying for such a job, who has a military pension, needs to challenge abatement if it happens.

partyr

Old-Salt
Prior service is definitely not required for some FTRS roles, in my AOR we have an acting Sgt FTRS HC, whose only previous experience is as an ACF Officer, hardly military experience. IMHO FTRS was rolled out to replace NRPS as a cost saving measure.

Prior service is definitely not required for some FTRS roles, in my AOR we have an acting Sgt FTRS HC, whose only previous experience is as an ACF Officer, hardly military experience. IMHO FTRS was rolled out to replace NRPS as a cost saving measure.
Crikey! Cadet Force, FFS. .....Really? Is this a sign of the times? I was always under the impression that one had to be a member of either the RARO or AR to apply for a FTRS slot.

No. It is only where the job is not open to fair and open competition, requiring military service as a qualification for the job.
I don't see how that can be the reason. If it was then abatement would still be a feature of AFPS 2015 & wouldn't have applied to, eg, the Civil Service scheme which doesn't require previous Civil Service service as a qualification for the job.

The office have not received a letter from Vets UK about this.
Many thanks for this. The letter from the "MoD Pensions Authority" (whoever they are) could well have been delayed by leave, but part of me suspects my query never left the Veterans UK desk upon which it landed for 7 months. Seems a wild claim, but I'm serious.

After several prompts, they may well have hoped that by telling me that I had been "overpaid" previously, with no intent to recover, that I'd get back in my box and accept an overall combined income cut upon promotion.

I'll be in touch.

partyr

Old-Salt
Crikey! Cadet Force, FFS. .....Really? Is this a sign of the times? I was always under the impression that one had to be a member of either the RARO or AR to apply for a FTRS slot.
As was I, so was quite surprised. But it is a cadet training team.

Latest Threads