FTRS posts

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by devilish, Nov 12, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know there is a thread somewhere on FTRS posts available but cant for the life of me find it, can anyone help.

2. msr

msr LE

Try the FAQ:
  3. Bumped this thread rather than starting a new one.

Could anyone provide any information on the availability of FTRS posts at the moment? I was looking for an FTRS post for a couple of months this year, however on the RAOL I didn't find (and still cannot find) any posts that were for a lowly Inf. private such as myself.

When "those" cuts came in I was told to sack the idea of FTRS off, and the last I heard was that there aren't really any slots for private soldiers (particularly infanteers).

So just looking for some advice from further afield than my own unit really... Anyone know if I have any chance of getting one in the new year?
  4. msr

msr LE

With the army filling up the junior ranks, I don't think there will be many FTRS opportunities out there...

5. That worry wasn't lost on me, but I had some feint glimmer of hope that perhaps it is possible...

A tour is my main priority, but I've been trying to get on one for months now - and seems individual deploments aren't my units bag at the moment.
    And If I can't get on a tour, wouldn't mind just cracking on in the meantime.

But if it's not to be then it's not to be, I suppose.
  6. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Am I right in thinking that you completed CIC earlier this year? There may be other reasons for your unit not putting up pax for mobilisation, such as keeping those bods available for a later tour in support one your Regt's regular battalion or their own formed unit deployment.

However in your own case, it may be that your juniority will militate against you. A recent directive from DInf has specified that TA soldiers mobilising as combat infantrymen must have reached Grade 1 Infantryman level.
  7. Correct, I completed CIC back in April. And to expand on your first point- before the brunt of the cuts were brought in, our unit was told that all our operational commitments as a batallion (We had a tours every year up till Herrick 15, I believe) had been cut. So, there was a mobilisation just after my CIC (where some were mobbed, and others like me were left off the list, as it were - even though we had all done CIC at the same time).

When the guys went through chilwell, they were told it was not going to be as formed unit - so they were all split up and spread to different regiments. I only mention this as I have been told very recently that this is still the case, and as a batallion we have no operational commitments to our regular batallions. Whether this is cuts, or simply more regulars joining I don't know. So the only hope of a tour was through individual assignment, but as I said, it's seems to be a bit of a chin scratcher whenever I enquire about getting on one.

I haven't heard about your last point, so thanks for sharing that.. I'll play my mong card and ask what is grade 1? Is this 12 months after CIC?
  8. I thought all reg battalions had to take 10% of there man power on tour from there TA Battalion thats what we have been told or has that now changed again ?, U definitely have to a grade one tom to go on tour now as infantry