FTRS pay

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by the_eiger, Dec 4, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok quick question for you JPA-ninjas...

A mate of mine has a bunch of TA quals (Para trained etc.) but is looking at an FTRS with a non-airborne regular unit. Would his pay be reduced to a standard Private soldier or would he keep para pay (or Cdo/SF pay) for the duration of his FTRS?

2. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Not in a para-roled PID = no Para Pay unless he is Para Regt who are always entitled as long as they are in date.

I know regular SF pay has a period of carry forward for a few years after posting out of UKSF, but no idea on the details.
  3. That's interesting. So if someone was a TA Engineer/Medic/Arty bloke with wings and went on an FTRS with a non-airborne unit he doesn't get para pay, but a 4 para bloke would?

Also, what's the difference between 'spine' and 'spec pay'?
  4. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Yes, or more accurately, that is how it works for regular service and I have never heard anything different for TA service but I am willing to be corrected.

For the second part, absolutely no idea.
  5. does spine not refer to higher or lower rate?
  6. Don't take this as gospel, but I think you are wrong. Para Reg are only entitled whilst they are Para Reg, if they move to another role where SP PARA is not paid, they go onto the reserve band of SP, so I suspect that a TA Para soldier who becomes FTRS would do the same. For more on SP, read this thread
  7. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

But that is the point - a Para Regt soldier is always Para Regt unless he transfers to another cap badge. A para trained gunner (for example) is a gunner with an additional qualification which for pay purposes is only 'live' while in an airborne PID. That was the crux of the para pay debate - limiting para pay to attached arms only while in role/ PID.

The Para Regt bit is a distraction anyway as I believe the OP is asking about non Para Regt going to a non-para PID, so no pay.
  8. So Para Reg blokes posted to Land Warfare Centre, HQ Land etc, Do they still get Para pay eve though they are not at an operational unit but in a PARA PiD?

Not looking at starting an argument, just genuinely interested
  9. I said before that the thread I linked to had all the information, but on looking back, it was about 400 posts of bitching, and very few of authoritative information, so, from that thread:

Or, the short answer is "Yes".
  10. Many thanks