FTRS mother of all cock ups

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by Cardinal, Nov 17, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I applied for FTRS many months ago and finally, after many false starts, a place was found for me at 84MSS. I went up met them , got on well with them and they said they would take me on. MCM Div or the FTRS people, or a combination of both, then messed things up and my entry into the post was delayed and delayed and delayed.

Recently 84MSS asked RTMC if they could take me on strength asap and train me up (MATT's etc) with their regimental training team to save time since RTMC could not get me on course unitl January. After all if a Regimental training team can ensure the standards of regular soldiers deploying then they can also do so for TA/FTRS soldiers. Standards being standards and one either meets them or does not.

Last week 84MSS asked if they could send me on OPTAG with some of their guys to save time so I can be deployed with them next year. Great week, got on well with the lads from the unit and OPTAG went well. (I even spoke to Chief of the Defence Staff and reaised some questions about Clinical Govenance! He didn't seem very happy when an Infantry Colonel jumped in and supported what I had said) .

Today RTMC said permission for me to do MATT's and join 84MSS asap had been denied and I had to wait until mid January to get on a course their. Obviously they dont trust the rgular army to train people!

The ineptitude of the FTRS office, MCM Div Glasgow and RTMC is astounding. Together they have made a process which should last about six weeks last close to six months (by the time I join the unit).

In the meantime I have been kept waiting around, unhappy and loosing money, and 84MSS has had to hold a post open which they are desperate to fill. No one is happy, but I bet the paper clips and paperwork looks very neat up there in Glasgow.

Not very good.

Cardinal

2. Hope you feel better now, having got all that off your chest!

Now, go and do something constructive - write a letter of redress (complaint) to your CO at your TA Unit, informing him/her of the problems etc, your financial hardships and 'career fouling'.

whinging on here is good, but it wont help you move any further forward into post!

3. A letter to my CO wil result, at best, in an offer to come into my TA centre and do some admin work. It will not sort the problem out.

I understand the mamagement read this web page, hopefully one will pick up on it.

Cardinal

4. Worked! just had a phonecall, situation nearly sorted.

Cardinal

5. Im not a big fan of FTRS soldiers, in recent times 3 of my ODPs have been left stranded on op deployments due to the FTRS dropping out at the very last minute (between 3 & 5 days before deployment), the stranded soldier then has to stag on past his end of tour date while another is spammed to take on the tour and get OpTag Trg and Chilwell Trg completed before he can deploy.
    Two of those left to stag on are ARRSE members.

Obviousley only a small percentage of those on FTRS but still leaves a sour taste against the rest.

6. FTRS Officers can be a real pain in the hoop but don't get me started on NRPS..

7. If someone has signed an FTRS contract how can they simply drop out?The advantage of FTRS over mobilisation is that you are completely free to remain a civilian until the point you sign a contract.You don't have to sign it if you don't like what's been put in it. I don't really see how you can blame 'the FTRS' (had they made verbal promises) if they never did get to be on FTRS.

8. I really dont think I should go into the ins and outs of how the individual managed to get out of 3 deployments with less than a weeks notice on a public forum such as this.
    Also are you involved in the nominations process for AMS operational deployments? if you are then youd actually know how people manage to do such a deed. if youre not involved then I would say that you should ask rather than lob a post in saying what people can and cant do. Because you are wrong. Ask the good Mr Bulldog, he can be found wandering the hallowed halls of the AMS forum, he was stranded in Kosovo, I myself in Iraq, both due to a FTRS doing exactly this.

9. That said, the AMS/FTRS section in Glasgow does not manage FTRS well. Applications take ages, feedback is poor and the whole system just goes on and on.

I applied for a post, non AMS, a few years ago and was told I had it. I waited and waited and my phonecalls resulted in little more than reassurance. Eventually I heard by another route the FTRS post had been de established! This year I applied foran FTRS post at HQ Land, sat the interview and heard nothing only to be told, much later, that the job had already been allocated.

This time I applied for a post whilst I was on leave from my mobilised post, it took months of sorting out for no good reason, with RTMC/FTRS section and AMS all playing a part in delay's.

So is it any surprise that TA soldiers get pi**ed off waiting? Does the army expect guys to sit around endlessly, usually unemployed, waiting for them to sort things out?

There are two sides to every story.

Cardinal