FTRS for the chop?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by mwl946, Aug 13, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. mwl946

mwl946 LE Good Egg (charities)

Is there any truth in the rumour that FTRS is to go in the near future?

2. Really?!

I hadn't heard that. Surely FTRS is in place for manning. If a unit is lacking in numbers it with advertise the post on the RAOL and get the space filled.

This might open a can of worms...but where's the 'logic' in scapping FTRS?

3. mwl946

Agree entirely!

Have recently heard from a friend who is currently on FTRS that there is a rumour that it is to be wound up.

Im asking on their behalf in the hope that someone can shed light on this

4. Really hope it doesn't get wound up...I start my 24 month posting with 32 Regt RA on 14th Sept!

Contract signed so hopefully I'll be safe.

5. While I agree with you, I am surprised that you expect any real 'logic' to be applied in allocating defence cuts.

I suspect the 'MOD logic' goes: recruiting is good, the Army is full and FTRS is an easy budget line to cut (none of these actually needs to be true, of course.) The fact that they are (or, at least, should be) employing people on FTRS for specific skills or to fill particular gaps that the regs cannot or will not fill will be lost on those who are merely looking at the number of beans to be counted.

6. Think you might have just opened that can of worms I offered earlier...

7. I do a fairly good line in 'stating the bloody obvious' too, if you need any of that.

8. mwl946

Sincerely hope so!

Hoping, however, that someone can shed light on the subject, or whether it is simply rumour

9. Sorry mw...I'm not the man to shed light on the subject.

You're the first person I've heard this from.

Fingers crossed it's just Rumour Control playing Chinese whispers.

10. hi mate i am on ftrs now and i keep my ear close to the ground at all times ive not heard of any cut backs .if anything if youre in a trade with a shortage.why would they get shut off you after all we are a decent gap filler as the description asks for we know the job and not afraid to get stuck in .cheers

11. I dont think FTRS has been cut - as in gone for good - but there are certainly a lot less posts being offered - none last time I checked for my battalion.

12. Tell your friend to ask their RCMO. With the recruiting slots being filled in faster than polyfilla, then a FTRS sojer has to to be able to compete with their regular counterpart.
    However if the btn or bty your friend is with no longer requires them, then

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIiUqfxFttM

13. mwl946

Haha very good!! Like that :D :D

Just spoken to my friend who did just that - contract will be honoured, and hopefully, despite the cutbacks, there will be something else at the end too.

Thanks everyone for your comments - will post again if I hear anything more. Good luck with yours, Jersey Tom.

14. I heard FTRS posts in certain areas will be drastically cut, but in others (the obvious areas of growth) there will be if anything an expansion. Probably just re-jigging their priorities?