FTRS (FC) - Any advice, tips or knowledge?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by CC_TA, Jul 6, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm currently filling out paperwork for FTRS (FC) (After a combination of being laid off on Herrick 9 by BT and the severe lack of jobs & winning lotto tickets.)

I've had a look on the RAOL and a general chat with the help-desk but would like to know if anyone on here has any dos and don'ts. (Also are there any 'avoid at all costs')

Info:
    CPL Armourer class 1 (TA)
    8 years regs - 4 years TA
    Available start - yesterday
    Licences - B C1 C1E D1 D1E & H

Would prefer to go back to RMB Chivenor (CLR/24 RE) other than that anywhere in between Nottingham an Portsmouth. Would I get much say in area or is it just pot luck?

Cheers one and all.

2. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

You usually apply for a particular post, rather than "general service", so you can chose to apply for those ones that meet your geographical need. Of course, you are not the only one in the position of using FTRS as a very useful stop-gap during the recession, and as such the good jobs are in great demand.

Top tip is if you are qualified to go forward for a promotion board, see if you can get it done before your FTRS kicks in, if timings allow. Once on FTRS, you are effectively held in the rank you join at, and can only be promoted on the acceptance of your parent TA unit. Out of sight is out of mind, so you may end up dipping out on any promotion (and of course the extra pay) that was coming your way if you end up falling into the gaps.

3. Cheers Duke.

Re promotion, got my fullscrew just before being mobilised but only got lance jacks pay - hey ho! Will be looking at starting some promotion quals if accepted on FTRS. (If they are available.)

4. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

You can do all of the courses on FTRS, and on your return to TA service the quals and extra experience will help you in terms of TA promotion.

Whilst on FTRS, you can get local/acting rank from your regular unit (if appropriate) but only substansive on the strength of your parent TA unit. If your FTRS service is for more than a year or so, you can end up with quite a lot of "acting" time if your TA unit are not willing/able to promote you whilst on FTRS, and support the new application paperwork for the subsequent change of contract as the old one (rank Cpl) will need to be replaced with a new one (rank Sgt). The PSAO is a man to be on the right side of, as most of this will require him working on your behalf despite potentially not having seen you for a few years.

5. Cheers Duke

Forms filled out, in the post - fingers crossed.

6. Once at your FTRS unit, on initial interview ask them what courses they recommend you to do and push hard to get on them. Apart from gaining a lot of experience on weapon systems you are familiar with already, by increasing your technical & eqpt knowledge you become a more valued asset to your FTRS unit and, when you finish your tour, your TA unit gains an extremely experienced tradesman.

7. Cheers EScotia,

I'm hoping to go back down to Chiv with either 24 RE or CLR. If I do I'll be chuffed to bits; they've already got a rough idea of equipment courses and career courses they want to bung me on and also novices cold and wet course. (Hopefully they won't waste there money looking as far ahead as AACC for me :) )

If I don't get Chiv then I'm not too fussed as long as there is a fair bit of work on - I've been unemployed 6 days now and it's doing my bloody head in.

8. Apart from my parent TA units head sheds being a bunch of bell ends dont forget to keep in touch with the FTRS desk for any updates or progress with your application. Also if possible contact the RCMO of the unit you hope to go to, After much waiting i made this move and things moved along very quickly!!!

Some of the FTRS desk staff are very good but they do have the odd 10% er working in APC so make sure you confirm with APC that applicatio has arrived and hound them for the confirmation letter!

9. You should speak to the RCMO of the unit you wish to join, if possible arrange an interview with him and sell yourself, this really speeds things up. Try to avoid calling MS Sldrs Reserves direct, get your new RCMO to do this, APC prefer you use the proper channels and it will prove benificial in the long run.

10. If you take up an FTRS post can you get accomodation? I was looking at a slot in 31 Sigs in London, couldn't really afford private digs (yes I know they are going)

11. I just asked one of the TA guys working with me at the moment and my understanding is that you can get accommodation due to being technically mobilised on a full time contract :)

But i wouldnt want to stick my neck out and say that is definite, although i do know of FTRS guys that have stayed in the mess that i am at :)

12. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

On FC, you have the same entitlement to the benefits(!) of accom or SFA as a regular soldier.

13. If NRPS guys can get away with using quarters and mess accommodation (as i know friends of mine have done) then i would imagine anything is possible anyway :)

14. You are entitled to most things a regular soldier is entitled to. There are a few exceptions (education) so read the DIN.

If you can, I would recommend that you complete your bounty tests BEFORE you sign up for FTRS. That way you are eligible for (and entitled to) your bounty payment in April.

Regarding the career aspect, be aware that the comment above is very true; 'Out of sight...' Once there, try and keep in regular contact with your parent unit.

Good luck.

15. Defo!!! Otherwise end up like me still chasing it 18 months later! Yes i did qualify but my departure upset a certain Bell End!