• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

FTRS and oath of allegiance.

1969peps

When you leave the regular army, and decide to join the FTRS, do you swear the oath of allegiance again?

If you do it only goes one way, in return you get to be used as a cheap short term inconvenience that can be readily dumped.....

1969peps

I recon you are right Lacrabat, but is that no different from a normal civilian job?

1969peps

Dont know Danny, I believe its a contract say 24 months, then like any other contract you apply to stay on.

I recon you are right Lacrabat, but is that no different from a normal civilian job?
Unfortunately true, but at least in a civilian job you don't have to give up part of your pension due to "treasury rules". It seems that like many civilian firms the MoD are involved in a race to the bottom as far as looking after their employees are concerned.
We've gone from a reasonably secure and well thought out contract with NRPS (apparently that sort of thing is an out dated employment model) to a more transient, less secure and ill thought out contract with FTRS. I notice a lot of jobs are now even going ADC, what next? Zero hours contracts?
FTRS was never supposed to be the employment model for long term posts, but it was adopted in their spiteful little war against the evil NRPS.
Rumour control has it that the FTRS terms and conditions are being looked at to improve their lot, something that is well overdue. A reverse of a situation that should never have been allowed to have happened in the first place, a sad indictment of some pretty shoddy management.......

1969peps

OK get the point there Lacrabat, as for me I had an interview for FTRS today and it was explained that my old WO2 rank plus my army pension combined would make me better paid then the CO, I thought it was a fair point.

I recon everyone would do it if the pension was on top, to be fair I can see I drop a lot of money going to a civilian job and it looks to be a reasonable deal.

Back to the original question, as FTRS or going into it do you swear the oath of allegiance? on return to service.

Yes you do swear your oath of allegiance again and most likely will be witnessed by an FTRS Major. I had only left Regular Service a week prior to myself swearing the Oath of Allegiance again.

Last edited:
Further to my last, that was 4 years ago and i have just been informed by a colleague who has just started a FTRS commitment, that he did not have to swear the Oath of Allegiance so no definate answer i'm afraid.

OK get the point there Lacrabat, as for me I had an interview for FTRS today and it was explained that my old WO2 rank plus my army pension combined would make me better paid then the CO, I thought it was a fair point.

QUOTE]

TBH. Not Your Problem. They offer you a job that pays a certain rate . The fact that that rate, plus the pension you earned the hard way means you earn more than someone else is not your fault. To screw you over just to ensure you earn less than someone else is normally seen as unlawful in a civilian work environment.....

Last edited: