FTRS (Again)

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by Whiskey_60, Nov 27, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello!

Looking for a little advice from FTRS gurus.

I'm deploying on H11, once I finish my tour I want to go FTRS. Looking at the latest trawl shows that Battalions such as 2 + 3 Mercian and 2 RRF are taking on practically anyone in the Infantry for 24 month engagements.

My question is, can that 24 month be extended or is it a case of when your 24 months is up you return to your TA unit? Also would you still wear your TA Regt's capbadge or (persumably) would you take on the one of the Battalion you go to?

Cheers,

W-60

2. FTRS commitments can be extended up to a maximum of 42 months. Once the commitment has finished then a new commitment can be entered into, this enables you to serve continuously, provided there is a post for you and the Army needs and wants you.
    Once a period of FTRS service is completed the soldier returns to either the reserve, the case of a regular reservist, or back to the TA in the case of a Volunteer.

I can't help you on capbadges as the FTRS regs don't cover it, but I have seen cases where TA soldiers were their TA units capbadges etc.
    Make sure you exceed 24 months as service over 24 months ensures you generate a FTRS pension, although you won’t see it until you are 65!

Hope this helps

3. Excellent! Thanks alot.

I think I'll pay into some sort of private pension too as I realise taking this route to full-time service means I wont get the normal pension.

4. Didn't realise I posted this in the Inf forums either...

Mong moment.

5. Once you've completed 2 years FTRS (aggregated or in one go) you qualify for a reserved pension payable at 60, with a lump sum. This should be explained in the paperwork you sign once your contract has been written. The longer you serve on FTRS the bigger your pension & lump sum.

6. The pension is preserved until age 65 (unless you are still serving at age 60 when it will pay out then).

7. Apolgies, must be because of the new pension rules I suppose. My pension is however at age 60 as I was on FTRS continuously from 1999 to 2005.