FTP Clients/Servers - any recommendations?

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by FrosteeMARIA, Nov 11, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. FrosteeMARIA

FrosteeMARIA LE Gallery Guru

Looking for a free FTP server (Windows OS)....had a quick look at FileZilla, can anyone recommend, or is there something better available? Will be used mostly for short video files. Cheers!
  2. Built in FTP client and server on Windows. Go to control panel>Programs and features>turn windows features on or off.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. FrosteeMARIA

FrosteeMARIA LE Gallery Guru

Nice one SD. Didn't know that! :)
  4. I used FileZilla when I needed and FTP server to share a large data set with a company I was working with in the US. I'm no expert (a bit of a by the numbers mong in truth) but managed to set it up within an hour or so. Once it's up it is quite scary to view the hackers swarm around you like flies on shit! Make sure you have EVERYTHING locked down, with complex passwords, encryption for transmitted data and drives/permissions locked right down.

Edited to add- as they say above you have a Windows supplied FTP server. I tried it but it wasn't such a nice interface. I think the Mac supplied FTP server is easier to deal with from (fragile) memory!
    • Like Like x 1
  5. FileZilla is a good client. Beats he windows supplied client hands down, especially the site manager... Useful for when ou upload to multiple websites and devices
    • Like Like x 1