FTL: Faster Than Light

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by BrunoNoMedals, Jun 4, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

Is anyone else playing this addictive little indie strategy? I got it in a Humble Bundle over the weekend and am already addicted, but **** me it's hard. I've only managed to make it to (what I assumed was) the final boss on two occasions, both on easy difficulty, and got smashed both times. Not many games can give you that kicked-in-the-nuts feeling like the first time you realise you haven't really destroyed the mothership and will have to go at it AGAIN.

What sort of strategies are people using? My most successful to date is using the Engi Cruiser. Starting with the Ion Blast is quite nice as you can spam their shield generator while the anti-ship drone does the work. I also got lucky and was rewarded with a Breach II missile launcher in the first sector - highly recommended for any ship as it destroys any sub-system, usually on the first hit, while causing hull breaches and crew damage. If you've got decent sensors or a Slug crew member you can also spot when the enemy crew pile on the damaged system for repairs, following up with a second Breach that takes most of them out either in the explosion or resulting fires.

On my last playthough with the Ion Blast 2, Breach 2 and a laser, along with an anti-ship drone and a defence drone, I managed to upgrade my ship to three full shields, reactor maxed, 8 units into weaponry, 6 into drones, 5 into the engine... Made it to the second round with the mothership and nearly cried when they unleashed FIVE ******* anti-ship and breaching drones on me.

I'm convinced the game is intentionally impossible to beat.

2. I finished it, eventually, more by luck than design, the final battle is a bastard.

3. BrunoNoMedals

How many times do you have to kill it? I'm guessing four, for each "wing"?

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

4. Three, both wings and the "fuselage".

5. BrunoNoMedals

Well that's slightly encouraging. I just need to figure out a way to take out that ******* drone system when I can't get through the shield and my missiles get shot down.

It really offends me that the defence drones can shoot down a missile that supposedly teleports directly onto target.

Have you ever bothered sending in your own boarding parties? I've yet to invest in a teleporter but get the impression I could earn more scrap by taking ships intact.

6. TBH I ran through it in an evening and a bit and never went back. I don't like the having to start from scratch every time you play it. I do reckon that the whole game very luck reliant.

7. BrunoNoMedals

That's all part of the charm! It reminds me of the days before battery back-up cartridges. If you ever played Jurassic Park on the SNES you'll know how painful it was losing four hours' work because some fascist decided it was bedtime...

I get you on the luck thing, though. If I hadn't picked up that Breach launcher I'd have been screwed and never come close to round two with the mothership. Equally I've played a game where I lost a crew member to a random event in the second sector, struggled through to the fourth and eventually got overrun. At no point was I given any opportunity to hire more crew and the whole game suffered as a result. In other playthroughs I've had a full crew within half a dozen jumps and actively dismissing people to make room for others.

I'd say it's fairly replayable, though, if only for the huge variety of things that can go wrong and leave you royally shafted. It'll also run nicely on the wife's laptop if I need to game on the go :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. BrunoNoMedals

Aim for the Medbay and disable it, then fight in there so they can't repair it. Just try not to get outnumbered.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2