FT: UK industrial output falls sharply

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by KGB_resident, Jul 7, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/0cece662-4c06-11dd-96bb-000077b07658.html?nclick_check=1

I believe that British economy needs new markets to advance British made production. Though it requires some effors.

The UK is not alone

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/8f2af2e6-4c0f-11dd-96bb-000077b07658.html

2. I know the company I work for is seeing a definite slow down, the orders are still in the pipeline, but the projected dates for the PO keep sliding as folks hang on to the cash for a bit longer.

3. One of the big ironies of the world today is that by most of the commonly-accepted measures of industrialisation, the majority of already-developed countries are de-industrialising at a frightening rate.

The big worry, to me at any rate, is that where industrialisation usually involves a movement of labour away from agriculture to industry, there's no corresponding move back. Improved agricultural efficiency probably accounts for this to a large degree, but still - with food security a major issue nowadays, it's worrying.

4. @ S_A_C:

It is indeed worrying. For the first time in human history urban dwellers outnumber rural. This maybe workable in developed agricultural systems like the UK if borders suddenly closed, but in developing countries it means almost total reliance on imported foods with little or no contingency.

5. Perhaps if these developing countrys spent more on resourcing and maintaining agricultural systems for there own use rather than for our supermarket chains? and also were less view'ed as cheap off shoring labour or call centres? which has the knock on effect of keeping wages down in devloped nations. But i believe we are fast approaching a bursting bubble of global economics.

Far to much of the developed countrys economic output are maintained by stock markets money markets, and other non productive incomes, rather than good as required! and while these are important parts of creating a nations overall wealth they make only a few well off, this is not a dig at the wealthy just a fact.

For all the good that cost cutting and belt tightening does without a nation in work and working people with a degree of affulence and disposable income much of what is now made and produced be it cheaply will not be brought. thus the knock on effect is then felt down the food chain!

How many Ipods/mobile phones/ etc does a person need. This is the real problem with todays global economic's.

I dont profess to have an answer, IMHO though however once a nation loss's the ability to service there own needs, both in food and industry and become dependant on imports, this exposes the nation to a real danger of economic meltdown.

6. It's pure economics old boy. And politics.

Wealthy nations spend their disposable income on goods that are above and beyond their basic needs. Think Roman Empire getting so rich that they sat back and wan**d themselves to death whilst the empire was destroyed by the Vandels, Goths, et al.

Production moves to the lowest cost country, always trying to reduce margings.

Wealth shifts between regions as the global economy gradually shifts. Nothing new here. Think Portugal in the 1600's. Once a global powerhouse with an empire. Now a poor country on the edge of Europe with a capital that's a sh*thole.....

And the politicans that you voted in over the last 30 years set this off (NAFTA, EU, etc etc etc)

Markets. Nothing can stop em. Only sometimes it sucks.

As to the Stockmarket comment - that's bollocks. The UK produces very little now (which is a shame) - we have no EDGE in production, except where we innovate (and that can be copied easily). Our edge is in our people and the fact that this is the best place to live in the world.

An example. The FTSE is now driven by firms who are outside of the UK. The FTSE is driven by oil, resource and commodity firms who listed in London because its the best place to list a company in the world. People and therefore services are the UK's best product. Looking back at the old days and saying 'uh why don't we make things' ignores where the UK is today (and harsh economic realities).

Ok. Five rounds rapid.

7. My point exactly :roll: Oh and im not an old boy Old Boy :roll:

8. That was the fastest response ever.
    And why did the word bollocks get changed to balls in my post. very weird

9. It was BOLLOCKS as in b***ocks

10. OK. Who is the Mod person...?

I must complain that you are interferring with my bo**ocks.

When I type it in clear, it is changed automatically to balls.

This is very PC and not on.

Sole. With bo**ocks. Not balls.

11. Sorry. Just sounded a little like a lefty rant.

12. Sergey
    You only need to have our Labour Party in office and they will attempt to have Old Soviet days.
    john
    Your New lad is making a fair start.

13. I'm not a fan of mr.Medvedev Jonwilly. Though he is young, intelligent, not a fool at all. Btw, 10 years ago mr.Blair was (and still is relatively) young, intelligent, not a fool at all.

As for mr.Brown then frankly speaking I was disappointed by his meeting with new Russian president. I didn't expected much but it looks as mr.Browns wages his own cold war. But why? Supporters of hard line toward Russia will vote mainly for the Conservative pary.

Soviet days... Is mr.Brown planning massive nationalisation? Btw, Chelsea no doubt should be returned under British hand.