Frying Pans

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Chef, Mar 21, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have always been taught to wipe a frying pan out and NEVER to use washing up liquid on it. This is an article of faith for me. now the trouble is I don't have a reason for it.

Mrs Chef is more than happy with;

'Don't use soaps on cast iron because it will soak in, but the proper argument of;

'Because I say so and it is what I was told is running out of legs.'

If anyone can give agood reason I would be grateful.

This is not a wah, but I will take some flak with my name, cheers.
  2. Washing up liquids or detergents are fine on frying pans, it's only scouring or scrubbing them that will give you problems later on.

PS; This is wimmins' work. Why do you care?
  3. Same reason that I iron my own shirts 8O

There are some things they do well, others are best left to a bloke :eek:
  4. I love Le Creuset, Mrs Chef doesn't because of the weight. But it is damn good for cooking in and almost indestructible, unless you drop it on a hard surface. (It was'nt Le Creuset, but it was cast Iron, whoops!)
  5. I will see your Le Creuset, raise you a Scan pan, and the galloping gourmet uses them, and he isn't dead.

Graham Kerr I think he was called.
  6. I love my Le fact, when I moved a short while ago the one thing I would've been most miffed to lose would've been my lovely pans.....there's no way I'd be able to afford to replace them! My best mate washed my frying pan in hot, soapy water once..........I almost had heart failure!
  7. Look at the last paragraph under Applied Patina.

8. You can wash with hot soapy water without problem but don't use a scourer.