Frustrated and Confused!

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by wishfulthinking, Mar 21, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Arggggh!

Right, I've been training to improve my pft time for the last six months, I've tried all sorts, high mileage, sprint drills, intervals, the lot. I'm currently following an army prescribed interval training programme, and I've improved from the 14 min pft workout to the 12 min pft workout, great. In my longer runs I've gone from a 45 min 5k to a 28 min, wonderful.

However, I've just tested my 1.5 mile, and I got 14.35, tragic.

It's so frustrating, my 5k pace is faster that my bl**dy pft! The only thing I can think of is that I get quite nervous before I test myself, and don't really believe I'll do it, and make it seem much harder than it really is.

I've only got 10 weeks before I'm tested again, and at the absolute minimum I have to be sub 13 mins. I'm going to try and drop at least a stone to help me speed up, but training wise should I carry on with the intervals, or take a different approach?

Thanks

2. I do a couple of 5 milers a week (sometimes up to 8 miles if its a good weather day) and at the end of each I do a few hill sprints before a cool down. I also do a shorter, interval session at my local football field for about 45mins. On the days between the running days I do time on the cross trainer, intervals on a rower and I swim a mile every day. Then slip into a coma all Sunday.

Been doing this for about a month and a half and I've slashed my run from 13.38 to 11.31. I do find that I run harder during the practice test run than I do when the pressure is off

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

3. sorry to hear that you are not on your own I have the same problem, my PTI realised this and tricked me on a casual run. He did a 800 m warm up without telling me and we did a 1.5 mile run on a different route, and took us all into the gym and did the rest in there I passed as i did not have the panic attack before. look up stewsmith.com tons of advice there and on milfit.com. Good luck!

4. Thats amazing, well done! Do you run your intervals on the same day you do your long runs?

5. Practicing on a different route might be an idea, might leave my watch at home too. Sorry to hear about your panic attacks, I get a bit tight chested, but never a panic attack! I would tell my PTI how nervous I get, but I'm not sure it would be worth the beasting I would get in return :)

6. No, I do my intervals on a Saturday and my other runs tues and weds, although I sometimes swap em round if I'm getting a bit bored or complacent. Not a natural runner so I tend to need all the help I can get to keep running.specially with the atrocious weather of late.

7. I'm no phsych but if your 5k pace is faster than your 1.5 mile then it sounds like you're trying too hard on the shorter distance... try to toddle along at your normal pace, don't set off like a racing snake and end up blowing out of your arse because of it!

I speak from bitter experience, I to can bimble for hours but have failed my PFT a couple of times... 13 minutes? you're either a coffin dodger or navy, man up and admit which one!! I only get 12.5 minutes and I'm an old fart myself!

One further warning, think carefully about how you diet, or if you should diet at all, it could ruin all the training if you lose the weight off your muscle bulk...

8. I found that eating in a healthier way, cutting out the junk and focusing on the exercise was better than out and out dieting. As the weight loss came in a safe way then rather than risking shedding muscle as well as flab

9. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

wishful, are you female and a bit overweight or male and very overweight?

It's very difficult, and likely to cause injury, to train for speed if you're carrying excess weight. You should address that first, steady runs up to 45 mins, and then do some speedwork over 400s and 800s.

• Like Like x 1
  10. It is amazing!

I had no idea that people could run significantly slower than 9 minute miles.

• Like Like x 1
  12. ...................Groan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What is it with you lot, 14 minutes or even 12 minutes for a basic, girly PFT.

I've said this before & say it again, any half fit bloke or big girls blouse could WALK it in 12 minutes.

You are clearly either obese or a total waste of rations.

The PFT is the most basic of all Army fitness tests. Everthing else is harder!

If you can't knock that out in the minimum time allowed,
    go & get a job at McDonalds, flipping burgers.......you'll be able to fill your faces every day!

• Like Like x 3
  13. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

I suggest you bin the tabbing for now and concentrate on running; you're in danger of training yourself to run slowly. Your 200s need to be much quicker and the 400s need to be about 1:55. Instead of tabbing try 3 x 800 at 4:10 or 4:15.

And have a day off every week, the Old Testamant is quite clear about this.

14. As always lots of waffle from so called fitness experts, my opinion (only based on a BSc (Hons) in Physiology, a DipHE in Human Performance , 20 yrs of trg and multiple Ironman finishes - but bear in mind i've not done a 4 week PTI course in Aldershot so i'm not considered and expert!)

Problem 1: Doing internal training without significantly improving your base fitness.

Problem 2: Interval overload without really understanding how and why to do intervals.

Without knowing your exact details i would suggest you need to building your aerobic threshold and muscular endurance, there are a load of clever equations to establish how far, fast & frequently you should be doing this, but it will look like 3-5 runs a week pushing yourself to just below threshold.

Once you have this decent base and continue to improve, i would suggest at least 4-6 weeks, then move to intervals. Bear in mind intervals, when done properly are the king of training and should be used carefully, 1 per week. Done properly you should be crying after a decent interval session and barely be able to walk the next day.

Ref this low-level of fitness (ie army fitness) don't get too hung up on nutrition nor waste your money on supplements. A normal diet will be fine. Chips, burgers mixed with normal meals with crisps & choccy are fine as long as you're training; you don't need to eat like a premiership player - the food you get in basic training is pretty unscientific and you'll scoff stickies n between! Stay off the piss and drink plenty of fluid, water, squash, or if you're really working hard (ie more than an hour per session) a budget isotonic powder to mix - holland & barratt do a good cheap one.

• Like Like x 3