Frozen turkey; advice required.

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Tartan_Terrier, Dec 25, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Merry Christmas troops!
    Seemingly it wasn't enough to take the turkey out of the freezer 24 hours in advance of Christmas, as the damn thing is still rock hard. What's the best method of cooking it from it's slightly thawed state? My current theory is high heat for 20 minutes or so, followed by a couple of hours on a low heat, and turning it up again towards the end. Does this sound viable?

Any pointers not involving flame throwers and/or take away pizza will be gratefully received.

Festive regards
    T_T

2. Bath of tepid water for 15+ minutes.

Old memory serves that your way might result in food poisoning.

3. My crown still had a few ice crystals, so turning down the heat a little and cooking for longer is the way ahead!

4. Stick in the microwave with the defrost function.

Either that or join me in a pot noodle and a mince pie.
    DSC00153 (Large).jpg

• Like Like x 3
  5. Mine has been cut in half and is getting dinged in the microwave

6. If you haven't got a microwave get your MIL to talk to it for 30mins. The microwave works on the same principle as the MIL's tongue...... high frequency noise. :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Stick your cock in it and thaw it from the inside out.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Cancel my last!

Mine is now in the bin ffs...

• Like Like x 1
  9. My friend, you have left it a little late to tell us your turkey is still somewhat frozen. Depending on the weight and mass of the same you have two choices, both of which are somewhat messy:

1. This involves a clean kitchen sink and large quantities of boiling water. Remove all wrapping from turkey, fill sink with boiling water, immerse turkey and hold under for five minutes (wear thick rubber gloves - saves you scalding your hands), turkey will thaw and cool the boiling water. Repeat process until turkey is thawed, then cook immediately.
    2. This method depends on the size of your microwave: Remove ALL wrapping, including plastic trays, paper wrapping, and other packaging material not designed for microwaving. Place turkey in microwave, set microwave to “DEFROST” and calculate the time required to defrost the turkey, x minutes per kilo. On completion cook turkey immediately.

The other alternative is to cook the turkey from a frozen state but you will need five and a half hours – a late dinner for you………….. Pre-heat oven to Gas Mark 3, unwrap turkey and place on a roasting rack, cover in baking foil and place in oven. After about 3 1/2 hours, the legs and thighs will be around 150 to 160ºF, and the breast, about 40 to 50ºF. The bag containing the heart, liver and neck can be removed and made into stock.

Sorry, best I can think of this late in the day

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mwahahahaha! Crack out the Turkey Twizzlers! :)

• Like Like x 2
  11. I hate to spoil your Christmas but I must make you aware that scanning a potnoodle does not create another potnoodle.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Boil in salted water for 30 minuets to an hour then into the oven and roast normally for around half the time suggested. Have to do the stuffing separately.

Edited to add: Reduce the water and turkey juice and add it to the juices in the roasting dish for gravy.

13. No need, got a large chicken in the fridge that was not frozen (was going to be the boxing day curry), never liked turkey that much anyway!

14. Someone forgot the 7 P's......

Prior Preparation and Planning Prevents a Piss-Poor Performance

• Like Like x 1