Frontline troops in Afghanistan 'just want to go home'

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by oldbaldy, Aug 3, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

2. Doesn't surprise me much, mate. After all, Barry O and CMD have basically thrown up their hands and flown up the white flag.

Tam

3. The lad is entitled to his opinion as are all of us. We must beware undermining the work of our forces in theatre abroad by criticism of UK foreign policy.

The press would have a field day if the feelings of this forum turned negative.

4. Turned negative? I have been saying that we should debus from Afghanistan as soon as possible for weeks. Ever since CMD and Barry O started the clock ticking on withdrawal and basically said to the Talibs and Alkys "Don't worry chaps, we will be out of there in less than four years. Try and not kill too many of our boys and girls until then, thanks."

As for the press, well, **** them and all their works. It is thanks to them and their defeatism, which the dumb, sheep-like masses of the huddled proletariat swallows like the best quality gruel, that our politician scumbags think that there is more votes in surrender than in staying in Afghanistan and maybe standing a chance of winning there, or at least getting a better deal from the various factions.

In short, staying there now in Afghanistan and fighting the Talibs and Alkys for the time that is left on the ticking clock and getting more of our lads and lassies slaughtered there, is just, in my considered opinion, ****ing stupid.

Tam

5. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

His his view is one shared by soldiers for centuries or back to Legions & even longer.
    Exciting to start with but then reality sets in.

6. Let's bear in mind that the Forces serve to implement the will of the British Government when diplomatic means have failed or are inappropriate.

That said, you've got to feel for the troops out there doing the implementing.

7. Don't get me wrong my opinions is as such we should never have gone there in the first place.

But seeing as we have, our loyalty must be to colleagues overseas. The extraction phase will last many years, forces deployed will still be subject and beholden to the Treasury for additional kit [spending] as and when needed.
    If there is in any way a negative perception as to the deployment the Government may not be as quick to offer up funds as and when as it has been.

I don't like UK forces being in Afghan and wish we could be out tomorrow but I would stop short of criticizing UK Government for sending and or keeping them there.

8. Just to hazzard a guess but maybe the chaps at the sharp end have slightly more grasp on how badly COIN is going - which is not really UK Govs fault. It must be as depressing as being French and at Verdunne with the 'Attack attack attack!' defence.

9. After your many eloquent posts on the same theme, it seems ironic that you should blame the media for THEIR defeatism.

10. I have the greatest respect for our guys out there but this video sums it up eloquently.

What is the game plan? Is there a game plan? If it's simply to train the ANP and ANA then we're****ed.

11. Frontline troops in Afghanistan 'just want to go home'

Does that mean rear echalon CSS want to stay?

12. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

Why the surprise? Soldiers are generally pretty intelligent and pretty good at sniffing the wind. What we say on Arrse won't make a bit of difference. They know if it's working or not better than we do, they're living with it and they won't be taking their cues from a pack of fat old has beens with nothing better to do than type sh1te on the internet. I think we're fighting the wrong war in the wrong place and in the wrong way, it in no way diminishes my respect for the job those on the ground are doing or my support for them as they do it. I do, however, resent like hell the fact that they are in that situation because no-one's got the guts to let us get stuck in materially, numerically and morally in a way which might just tip the balance, though I somehow doubt it, or, as they should more sensibly do, pull our people out for a better day and a better cause.

13. Speak for yourself fatso, I'm 47 and got in the 300 Club 3 times this year. We are in Afghan, we've got a job to do so let's give the troops on the ground the support they need. No room for trendy defeatism from this c/s.

14. That is as fine a piece of idiotic drivel as I have read for a long time.

HM Forces are professional. They joined because they are prepared to do the job which every military force is ultimately required to do – fight. As bluntslane says, “the Forces serve to implement the will of the British Government when diplomatic means have failed or are inappropriate” so they do what the politcians tell them to do - like it or lump it.

Those who don’t like the heat should get out of the bloody kitchen and let the grown ups get on with the job.

If they really want a uniform at no risk they should join a civilian marching band. N Ireland has a few and I believe some football clubs have them also, complete with probably fake ostrich feathers.

15. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

Clearly you're prematurely senile. I have no idea what the 300 club is but it sounds both Greek and gay. How about taking your brain to the gym and sharing your insights as to why you think we're winning. I suggested two courses of action, neither of which reflect trendy defeatism, and then you bound in with the mindless enthusiasm of the denser sort of Labrador. The best way of supporting our troops on the ground is to ensure that their lives are not wasted because of political cowardice or sloppy thinking, not by unconditional tail-wagging and hoping for the best.