Front Rank.. Kneel!

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by SO3Paperclips, Oct 18, 2007.

?
  1. Yes

18.7%
  2. No

60.0%
  3. Maybe, in a weasely up-to-the-individual way

21.3%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. CGS, "an outspoken avangelical Christian" gave a speech yesterday in which he said that the Army has a duty to prepare soldiers for life after death.

“In my business, asking people to risk their lives is part of the job, but doing so without giving them the chance to understand that there is a life after death is something of a betrayal,” he said.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/faith/article2681695.ece

Do we think that this is a duty incumbent on the Army?

2. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

The Rev. Dannatt is the Chairman of SASRA, an evangelical organisation that operates by targetting individuals in units, usually in SLA, NAAFIs and hospital. They wear military-style uniforms and endlessly proof-text.

They refer to death as being 'promoted to glory', which I find rather chillingly similar to islam's '72 virgins' nonsense.

3. [​IMG]

Old fashions rebranded?

4. Ahhh yesss.

I remember those buggers, they used to swan around barracks etc wearing some type of quasi-WO outfit.

First time I saw one was in BAOR and I called the bugger "Sir" until I twigged he was selling something. I then****ed him off out of the block. I don't mind yer standard issue padres but the Scripture Readers? pah!

How patronising can you get, implying that squaddies are incapable of reading the bible without help?

At least RAChd tpes are real, I'd put the SASRA types in the Walt sector...

5. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I notice they only do the Army and the RAF. The Navy are heathens then :D

6. In the sense that the remains should be properly cared for until interred, yes.

Spiritually, I've no problem with them making the facilities available and waiting for the individual to approach of their own volition, but evangelising? No.

Of course, they would have to make other forms of spiritual preparation available. Sauce for the god-bothering goose, after all.

7. You find your own way when the shit hits the fan, my religious devotions involve swearing and giggling like a school girl

There is no God, get your head round that and you'll be fine, I didn't think there was an afterlife but have been told Para's go to some sort of viking holding center, so must be true.

No hats though.........

Padres can be either a waste of skin or excellent assets, either way they should steer well clear of religion in everthing they do, if you see what I mean

8. Bit difficult walking on water to get to the ships at sea... There's only one bloke on record for having successfully done that. :wink:

9. Dodgy record. :wink:

10. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Oh, I don't know. They have the Naval Christian Fellowship, and then there's the Naval Military and Air Force Bible Society (lots of their leaflets left by SASRA too).

11. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

I think it is more incumbent on him ensuring the armed forces get the correct resources if they are to risk their lives. If they wish to spend the after life talking to St Peter and hanging around all day thats up to the individual.

12. Here's a crazy idea. Why don't the Generals consider making my life easier while I am still alive? Rather than preparing me for an eternity of being dead! Never mind the troops, me ol' china, you sort out the politicians and the rest will sort itself out.

13. Perhaps if enough effort was put into giving troops the weapons, kit, equipment and support they need to get the job done, a few less of us would find out about the afterlife a bit earlier than expected?

14. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

They are scared to "buggery"! :roll: