Front page

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by spaz, Mar 26, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is there any chance of having an optional theme that does not have that twitter bollocks on the front page? In my opinion it's annoying as you have to scroll through it to get down the front page if your cursor is in the wrong place.

2. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

That must be terrible for you honey. What about if we stop it scrolling or would that not give you an excuse to vent?

3. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Actually I will add to that by giving the reasoning behind it.

We got a lot of complaints about decent content being buried in junk. One of the ways around that is to highlight decent content. Therefore we replaced the random feed from RR and RP which showed any old crap, and supplement the recemt posts feed, which shows any old crap, with selected bits and bobs in the form of a twitter feed.

Becaise these are selected they are better quality and those links should lead to something readable. The thing is not so much aimed at you as at the people who come to the site, click on a random link and end up on a thread full of Bugsy, Chubb,Dale or worse. See the point?

4. My comment wasn't a vent, merely an observation from a long time user of the site.

I see your point, I just assumed that you may want some feedback from the site users. If I'm wrong fair enough it's your site after all.

5. As I view it (Firefox 3.6.1) the twitter feed is on the left where the multiple boxes used to be, and the latest posts bit in the middle as it's always been. I don't have to scroll through it at all, I merely have to ignore it as I did for all the other RP/RR stuff.

6. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Come off it - of course it was. If it wasa constructive suggestion it would have been phrased very differently.

7. Constructive: You've got a "Follow us on Twitter" link top right - as well as the rather large box displaying all your twitter links on the left - overkill?

8. Not at all, I know you offer the site with different themes, I was enquiring if you could offer one without the twitter!

I can see how you may have not liked my description of it as bollocks, but I put that down to the work you must have put into developing it.

9. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Fair one!

10. The quotes have also disappeared. I'm in mourning. :)

MsG

11. No one wants to hear that they have an ugly baby, you do have an ugly front page though.

12. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

I await your screendesign!

Trouble is I don't want to get bogged down in changing as I'm mid way through a complete change of site software. It's going to take a while, but it does mean that time invested on major changes to this one will be money down the drain and a delay to getting the new site online.

If it bothers you, why not just go straight to the last 50 posts page and miss out the actual front one altogether?

13. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

14. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

I like the Twitter idea, much better than a feed with all that this entails but the scroll bar makes it look ugly, could you not have a smaller number on display to get rid of the scroll bar, or even a bit of CSS based slideshow loveliness.

What software are you using by the way, must admit to be falling out of love with Joomla and have been forming a meaningful relationship with Wordpress, which is increasingly extensible.

15. What's with the "LearnDirect" banner? The bloke has got his buttons undone.