Fromelles Developments

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by joe90x, Feb 22, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Looks like some more of the missing / Soldier's Known Unto God from WW1 from both Australia and the UK may at last be identified and all will be given proper burials.

WW1 Burials
  2. Thanks for the link. I visited the area last year, it's good to hear that the work is going ahead.
  3. I was over there for rememberance day last year.

There was alot of respect for them from the locals it was a big thing for them.
  4. BBC - Piecing together the past

While researching the Fromelles mass grave, historian Peter Barton has 'found' a twenty-million-name archive for the Great War at the HQ of the Red Cross in Geneva. There is also a similar archive for the Second World War. The BBC seem to be the only ones covering the story at the moment.

The intention is to get the WW1 information online by 2014 with the WW2 to follow. Conservation of the WW1 records is arguably the priority but I would have thought it better to digitise the WW2 records first. There is a little bit of self-interest in that statement, but the WW2 records ought to be in a better, more easily digitised, condition. Either way, considering the relatively small sums involved, I wonder if the EU could be encouraged to do something useful for a change and contribute towards accelerating the availablity of these archives while there are still spouses and sibling alive who might benefit from 'knowing'?
  5. I am contributing to a piece ref the discovery of the Red Cross records on Radio 4's World at One.

6. MoD / CWGC now looking for relatives of those who may be buried at site and have published a casualty list for the battle (See link from top of CWGC Page referred to below]

MoD News

CWGC Project

Royal Warwickshire, Oxford & Bucks Light Infantry & Gloucestershire Regt form majority of casualties in this battle but personnel from units such as Cameron Highlanders, Durham Light Infantry, Sherwood Foresters, South Lancs and Stffordshire Regt also listed
  7. If you are interested in following the Fromelles project as the excavation and recovery of the remains takes place then the CWGC are publishing a monthly newsletter. This is sent by e-mail. To subscribe click on the link and follow the instructions.

The CWGC are constructing their first new cemetary since WW2, which will be dedicated in 2010 on 19th July, the anniversary of the battle.
  8. There was an official commemoration this morning attended by MDES and other dignitaries. Press coverage should follow.

Pheasant Wood Ceremony

9. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

from today's MoD Press release:

10. Speech by HRH The Prince of Wales at the Dedication of the Fromelles cemetery, France - 19 July

11. As an Australian viewing the events from Fromelles last night I just wanted to pay tribute to all those British Servicemen and women who took part in the events the Royal Horse Artillery, The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers and The Rifles seem to have been there in numbers. One Question would be were these troops Territorials or from the regular battalions? Either way australians owe a great deal of thanks.
  12. I watched that memorial service today on the BBC News channel. I kept the minutes silence, as I felt it was the right thing to do.

13. Myself and little Jamdonut were able to get over to Frommelle to watch the ceremoney. There were quiet a few Brit's and Aussie's in the crowd watching but there were a lot of French plus Dutch and even some Germans, which was very good to see. I was surprised by how many large concrete bunkers there are along the Frommelle-Aubers ridge line, according to my guide book there are over 70 still in very good repair, there were several hundred built in WW1. I will definatley go back when the crops are harvested in order to examine them more closely. There are also the Hitler Bunkers there as well. With such a sophisticated defence, plus all the usual trench and artillery fire I cannot see how any army without the aid of tanks and very accurate fire power could have even thought of going over the top against such resistance.
  14. sierradelta, the 61st Division was a Kitchener second-line division, based on a cadre of Territorials who volunteered only for Home Service. The first line South Midlands division was the 48th which served with distinction on the Somme, during 3rd Ypres and in the Asiago campaign of 1918 in Italy. The 61st did not cross to France until May 1916 and was in action at Fromelles (aka Fleurbaix by the way). The division did not "do well" and to an extent lost its name becoming a garrison division thereafter until 1917 when it was involved in the pursuit of the Retreat to the Hindenburg line, Third Ypres and defending the counter-attacks following Cambrai.

In 1918 they fought in the rearguard for the Kaiserschlacht and in the vanguard during the final advance through Picardy. They fought a ten day withdrawl in contact around the Somme Crossings in March 1918. There is a memorial to the division at St Floris which is quite attractive. Perhaps aptly given their history, they share the memoriakl with another division (74th (Yeomanry))!