From Uzbekistan with(out ?) love.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by KGB_resident, Jul 31, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

It appears that mental abilities of our American friends are not to high - they don't understand so clear message.

The meaning I suspects is clear enough - go home and that's all.
  2. Yes, the US have propped up another dictatorship in the quest for global supremacy. Now that said dictatorship has quelled its internal problems by shooting the people, who needs Uncle Sam? Goodbye and thanks for all the fish! Shame really, a very beautiful country!
  3. The Spams shouldn't have tried to beat up Borat!

(have I got the right country?)

What he was thinking was "gee, Iranistan has borders with Afghanistanland..."
  4. Sergey, it's you Russians who are intellectually challenged - after all it took you 45 years and more to get the message that you weren't welcome in East Germany, Polandf, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Eastonia, Kazhakstan, Uzbekistan, Ukrain (new Nato member soon!), Tajikistan, etc, etc...

BHTW, Borat is supposedly from Kazakstan. In fact, the Kazak emobassies in both the UK and US have complained about him. Yak shimash!
  5. Uzbekistan is a corrupt, citizen-shooting, $hithole of a dictatorship, yet at the same time it is a beautiful country (Samarkand etc) and I really enjoyed beign there for 3 weeks (Ex Tamarlane Express 04). It definitely gives you an appreciation of how so many of the people of the world live, outside of our own sheltered First-World-Country existence. You dont get that on a holiday, you have to live and work amongst the locals to get that.

K2 is unbelievable (although I only saw C130s and a few obsolete-looking Uzbek fighters, no USAF fighters so not sure how useful it would be in a shooting war). We used it as the way in and out of Uzbekistan and you wouldnt believe the facilities and treatment the USAF get. They have life better deployed than I did in the UK, either on duty or at home! Lobster at midnight chow anyone?

6. To me the saddest part is the quote from the US rep: "He said he did not know why the request had been made and the US state department was assessing the note."

Yet again our cousins show they are utterly incapable of understanding how life goes on outside CONUS. It'd be funny if it wasn't so serious. I'll explain in case any of them are reading:

The Uzbeks invited the US in and gave them an airbase because the regime sees the Taliban as a threat and because they want to keep on Washington's good side. So far so good.

In return the locals expected US support in dealing with their own home grown "terrorists", nudge nudge wink wink. They see the US shooting "Muslim extremists" daily - so many they don't even count them, suppressing demos with firepower, supporting a regime of their choice and so on. Hence if the US uses such "robust" tactics in Iraq they surely won't object if the Uzbek regime under President Karimov does the same. After all, the Uzbeks are coming under increasing pressure from the Russians and Chinese for helping the US and surely the US will support it's ally.

But no. In May there was some unpleasantness. As far as the regime is concerned a bunch of Muslim militants got slotted. However, the usual whining bleeding heart liberal NGOs claimed that it was a massacre blah blah violation of human rights blah blah. When these organisations say the same about Iraq the US denies the claims and calls them liars. However these organisations that cannot report accurately in Iraq suddenly become beacons of truth in Uzbekistan. The money gets shut off and the Uzbeks are left scratching their heads wondering why their support for the US counts for nothing.

Hence the Uzbek shift away from the US and towards China/Russia. They feel betrayed and see no benefit to supporting the US.
  7. wow one of the strange - what a cogent analysis of central asian geopoliticals. i suggest you quit whatever day-job your holding down right now and offer your services to the US State Dept immediately, cause clearly we need genius' like you to tell us what to do.
  8. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

First post and gobbing off already, you're going to go down well on here.

He probably would be better off working in the State dept. Lets be honest he couldn’t make a bigger fcuk up of US foreign policy than the current incumbents could he? Some of you guys just can’t seem to understand there are other people in the world besides Americans can you!
  9. The US has forces in 9 of 14 former Russian republic's [8 if we leave the Uzbeks to their own devices]. Among them Azerbaijan [very nice oil/gas deposits]. Turkmenistan is also rather nicely situated geographically. I dont think leaving Uzbekistan will cause Washington to lose any sleep.
  10. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Now I'm not being pedantic Tom but why is that a good thing and of course why is it necessary? Can these people not be trusted to run their own countries and defend their territory with their own Armies?

Edited for bad latin
  11. The Trashcanistans are pretty terminally scootered, in any case. The US bases were probably never intended as a long-term deployment - their primary function was to aid the entry into Afghanistan, pending the establishment of a firm logistic lodgement there. Job done, in that case. They were never intended to prop up the local regimes in anything other than the moral sense.

A major US presence in Central Asia was always going to annoy the Russians, who think of that part of the world as the "near abroad" - and the local regimes, as observed up-thread, are repressive and ugly even by the standards of other regimes the US has supported.

No strategic loss to the US in the short term, probably yet another fundy Muslim hell-hole in the medium. It's not like the Russians have the skills, capabilities or will to do anything about it.