From The Daily Star

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by fdj12, Jul 7, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. SAS commanders are fighting back after defence chiefs revealed they want to axe some of the elite regiment’s part-time troops.

The move comes after last week’s announcement on the future of the Territorial Army by Defence Secretary Philip Hammond.

Mr Hammond failed to reveal the future of the SAS Reservists.

Staff officers at Army’s Land Forces HQ in Andover proposed axing one of the two part-time SAS units – but special forces bosses refused to accept the deal.

Now SAS chiefs are fighting a home-front battle to keep their reserve soldiers in uniform.

They believe there has never been more demand for reservists amid pressure to meet growing counter-terror threats.

As regular SAS soldiers recover from injuries received in Afghanistan, reservists are filling manpower gaps and making sure the SAS’s elite Sabre Squadrons can still work at full capability.

Senior officers at the Directorate of Special Forces want both units, which have centres across England, Wales and Scotland, retained and have asked for SAS Reserves to be ring-fenced from any cuts.

SAS Reservists must pass the same gruelling tests as regular counterparts.

That includes freefall parachuting and survival courses.

And, once “badged” – SAS parlance for passing the course and being awarded the regiment’s winged dagger emblem – they can serve all over the world.

Last night Ministry of Defence sources indicated a “deal had been done” in which the two units could be merged.

That would allow at least one TA centre to be closed but means special forces commanders could keep the force level they want.

Last week the closure of 26 TA centres across England, Wales and Scotland was announced.

Mr Hammond said the Territorial Army will be renamed the Army Reserve and become an “integral part of the regular Army”.

A Ministry of Defence spokesman said: “We never comment on special forces.”

2. if I'd known you were going to post this, I'd have saved a pound.

3. Put it in the poor box !!!!!!!!!!!!

4. I would have, had I not spent it on The Daily Star.

5. HHH

HHH LE

A story from the Daily Star does not equate to CA.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Heh. SO1 Disinformation at DSF strikes again. Look for "SRR to disband" and "SBS cuts regrettable but necessary" next.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Will Withams be selling off the surplus balconies?

• Like Like x 4
  8. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Does the Daily Star have any stories about the decline of big diesel-electric power units and if they do, does anybody have a link to YouTube clips of them?

Somebody may care to search the Daily Mail website. I'd do it myself but I am worming the cat. Cheers.

9. Would that be what one calls a "euphemism"?

• Like Like x 1
  10. I suspect the cat calls it a diabolical f***ing liberty!

11. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Edit - CA.

12. Well regular SF doesn't normally have many good things to say about Reserve SF so nice to see them apparently sticking up for and protecting them. Then again it's in the Daily Star and no doubt a load of old tosh until confirmed by a ahem more reputable rag like the Telegraph.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

13. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

I am SO glad The Star know the difference between a sentence and a paragraph. Oh, hang on ...

Still I suppose it gives their readership the chance to give their lips and their fingers a rest while they breathe.