From the Ashes

From the Ashes

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Review by goodoldboy

This is an excellent little book all about the reconstruction of Westhoek (West Flanders) in Belgium after the Great War.

After the Armistice of 1918 entire towns and villages had ceased to exist, the ground was flooded and heavily polluted and the landscape was a depopulated, bleak and lacking any of its former recognition. However, despite being recognised as a 'Devastated Region' by the Belgian government, the former population started to return and began to create temporary homes...

Click here to read the full review.....

slick

LE
Thank you very much for posting that, I`ll try and pick a copy up at some point. The subject matter reminded me of this footage a French chap took from an airship at wars end....

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I read the book and @goodoldboy has given a good review. This is a fascinating subject and unlike most other battlefield tours is not about the soldiers but is about how ordinary people did extra-ordinary things to get their lives and towns/villages back to normal as quickly as possible.

This is part of the feniks2020 programme which translates means Phoenix, hence the title - From the Ashes.

If you are going on a Western Front battlefield tour then this would be a great companion to see how the battlefields became farmer's fields again.

slick

LE
I read the book and @goodoldboy has given a good review. This is a fascinating subject and unlike most other battlefield tours is not about the soldiers but is about how ordinary people did extra-ordinary things to get their lives and towns/villages back to normal as quickly as possible.

This is part of the feniks2020 programme which translates means Phoenix, hence the title - From the Ashes.

If you are going on a Western Front battlefield tour then this would be a great companion to see how the battlefields became farmer's fields again.
A number of times I`ve driven across the France and Belgium, and thought of the effort that would have been needed to rebuild the villages and towns post war(s). Credit where it`s due, most of them have retained their character and look considerably better than many English towns which were rebuilt after the second world war.

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
I believe there are still tracts of land in Belgium and France that are still unusable due to contamination.
I can't download the map at the moment but it is called Zone Rouge and Google is your friend. As you say, some ground areas in Belgium are still highly and dangerously polluted as a result of the Great War and not just from the explosives still being discovered.

Latest Threads