From the Angels of Mons to Jihadist Battlefield Miracles

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by alib, Feb 27, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From On War And Words Jihadist Battlefield Miracles
    The dogs avoiding martyred Muhj corpses in favor of Ivan story is interesting. Dogs being haram and the purity of the sainted cadaver a recurring theme in miracle stories both Christian and Islamic.

There was a recent "miracle" story U.S. Marine Walks Away from Shot to Helmet
    My bold.
  2. I still think Cromwell had the final word on religion and war:

"Put your faith in God - but keep your powder dry!"
  3. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Also, the parting of the seas was the will and act of God, who interceded in the affairs of man to save a tribe of people from their enemies.

Rumour has it that this biblical story actually started as a proper geological event that caused the sea level to drop considerably over a period of time, exposing a land bridge that allowed a tribe of persecuted people to emigrate to safety, before the sea levels rose again. The escapees thanked their lucky stars and ascribed the event to the intercesion of their God, and lo it was that forever after (until science got involved) it was God who took the credit for the miraculous event.

It would have been far more credible if it had been described for what it was, and people simply said "Damn, that was lucky!", rather than some carpet-bagger looking at all the gullible muppets and saying "Sheeeit, did you just see that dude with the big glowing finger hiding behind that cloud, wearing a planet-sized crown point over that hill and make all the water disappear? No? Man, you really missed something! Oh, and by the way . . . . I'm a sage, give me homage."

Wolves on the battlefield eating thine enemy? Don't think so mate. Ignorance is the fertiliser of religion.

4. And don't forget the lock ness monster eggs we put in the river!

'We have not released giant badgers in Basra, and nor have we been collecting eggs and releasing serpents into the Shatt al-Arab river,' British army spokesman in Basra, Major David Gell told The Times.
  5. If these thick, brainwashed, fanatics believe they will get 70 virgins & guaranteed ticket to paradise for blowing themselves up, its no wonder their "spin doctors" come up with s..t like this & get believed! As they say "RELIGION IS THE OPIATE OF THE PEOPLE", so f..king true with these jihadist nutters, it allows their leaders to spout any sort of crap as long as it has a religious slant!! :evil:
  6. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Would you want seventy of these ?
  7. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

IIRC, the 'Angel of Mons' story was originally an avowed piece of fiction published in a weekly magazine as a short story. Rumour control subsequently made it into a national legend for the weak-minded.

Mind you, regular divine battlefield intervention would be an interesting multiplier to simulate at CAST.
  8. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Or these?

Though I could handle seventy of these:

9. That's what I thought.

One of the Pip,Squeek and Wilfred trio, I can't remember which one has the Angel of Mons on it.

My Grandad had it.

Also, Jehovas Witnesses make great play of a Battle in the Heavens in 1914 where God, using his angels, throws down the Devil to Earth.

Therefore they argue a battle in the heavens occured.
  10. The supernatural has always been a part of war (the "jihadist's" just have their version) from the already mentioned Angel of Mon's, to the giant black dog's of the trenches, Foo fighters of WWII, ghost armies, the time slips experienced by some Ghurka units in WWII, to the "batman" of Vietnam.

Hell we can look to the current war in Afghanistan now and it's haunted outposts recently in the news.

I love this sort of stuff. :oops:
  11. The RAChD (and the US equivalent) would fit the bill of religious spin doctors for both the British and American Armies. And they spout an equal amount of claptrap in the name of their god.
  12. I saw those ill-tempered mutated badgers with my own eyes. Although I was wearing those reflecting sun glasses that enable you to see through women's clothing at the time.
  13. We've all been awake for three days at a time. That's about when the hallucinations kick in. I saw the Black Flying Wolves of Death at Sandhurst, FFS. Add to that the threat of imminent death, and I would imagine that all things are possible, at least within your head.

The Badgers were real, though. A mate told me.
  14. The French have a thing for hot Nuns:
    Saint Thérèse of the Child Jesus and of the Holy Face tended to pop up on the battlefield despite being dead: