From Soldier to Civil Pilot

Good Afternoon all.

Thankyou in advance for any direction with regard to this:

I have been in the Army (Inf) for 14 years, i was injured on Ops and had my left leg blown off. I have terminated my Colour Service to take advantage of the AFCS GIP and I have always had the desire to become a Pilot.

Attempting to transfer to the AAC is not an option due to the medical requirements, therefore that leaves the Civil option, however after conducting some research on the Internet i have found there is conflicting information with acceptable medical standards (ie, can someone who is educated and fit but has a Prosthetic leg still fly?)

Funding for the courses is not an issue, I have emailed the CAA but not had a response. Either way any help wouuld be great.

Regards

I am sure you don't want to be termed disabled, for which I apologise, but that is how the term it on the site.

Good luck.

I am sure you don't want to be termed disabled, for which I apologise, but that is how the term it on the site.

Good luck.
Hey, no worries, i shall have a look. I only do the 'sob story' bit if your fit, female and want to lick the end of my stump! haha

jim24

LE
Book Reviewer
My mate Paul is a member of the BPA( Blind Pilots association ) and you can do a PPL with the BDFA ,but a CPL is a whole new ballgame and the costs are astronomic unless sponsored due to the amount of hours required.

but if you don't try you don't get and I wish you every success

Hi Jim

Thanks for that mate, I realise the CPL is alot of money, but i am fortunate that is not an issue (PAX & AFCS) its my dream so why not try and follow it, the only 'barrier' outside my control is the leg issue.

Regards

Perhaps with the "Goodwill" that abounds towards the Military at the moment you could try getting in touch with the likes of BA / Virgin etc as I know they are looking for Cadets to put through their in house courses?

As mentioned earlier the costs of a CPL/ATPL and IR are extremely expensive, the exams are 15 (IIRC) in total and you need approx 200hrs for the issue of a CPL (Most of those hours would be under instruction so even more expensive). The bits below are the requirements you'll need to look at the CPL (A) IR

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/srg_fcl_pilotlicence_aeroplanes_91.pdf

jim24

LE
Book Reviewer
Hi Jim

Thanks for that mate, I realise the CPL is alot of money, but i am fortunate that is not an issue (PAX & AFCS) its my dream so why not try and follow it, the only 'barrier' outside my control is the leg issue.

the world is full of ******* who tell you can't do things, but when you do it they say they would have done it but, always a good reason for not doing it,you go for it mate

Hi Jim

Regards
Not being trite,but if they get a bit funny,use the Douglas Bader quote " My legs aren't an issue,I've haven't got any"! ;-)

If guys can still serve with 'bits' missing,and even commercial pilots are saying it's getting to 'computerised',then how the **** can they tell you to piss off,go for it if you have the time and money,and the talent!:meditate:

Latest Threads