From Private eye 2 editions ago

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by ugly, Sep 12, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I've had no joy with my scanner recently but this really hit home!

Enough said really!
  2. nice one ugly
  3. Nice one, Private Eye!

4. Very true, Very depressing, brilliant for an everyday laugh if you're a city gent Private Eye, gut wrenching if it's a loved one who has been lost.
  5. Print as a postcard & mass mail to all those Politicians with "Broken Covenant" written on the back, to arrive in time for Remembrance Day...
  6. Not a laugh, not even for Private Eye. The magazine has two types of cartoons; those that appear regularly and are designed to get a chuckle from the reader (Yobs, Grim up north, Celebs, etc). The second kind are much, much more serious in nature and are drawn to provoke thought and bring attention to areas where the government of the day would rather people didn't look.

A picture paints a thousand words, and this cartoon, along with the broken action man that doesn't come with any support etc are two damning indictments of the current situation.

Unlike 'Hello' and 'Elle' and 'Just17' etc Private Eye is an extremely serious magazine. Only a fool would treat it otherwise.
  7. Very thought provoking indeed....Does anyone have a scan of the action man advert as mentioned in the post above?
  8. What Dread said.

Satire has long been used to make a political point, and given Hislop's programmes about the Great War memorials and such like, I don't think he and Private Eye could reasonably be accused of disrespecting those wounded and killed in the Services.

Edit: Although in the interests of balance, they might have erred in giving any credence to "Franky" and his "lab" in the Deepcut report ...
  9. Brutal and to the point,very thought provoking!
  10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I'll look for the action man one, if anyone knows what edition its in I'll order it. I am willing to do something along the lines of the postcards. Let me know and I'll get some printed!
  11. in issue 1193

Attached Files:

12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Wow, how did I miss that one?
  13. All of what you said Dread. The reason I subscribe to it is quite simply you are more likely to get the truth about something. When it’s sarcastic and funny it’s just that; it is also extremely serious about other things such as the 2 cartoons.

Another serious subject they deal with is Rotten Boroughs - more fiddles that the London Philharmonic.

More power to their arm