from Old English White to green moss and rust

finally the left front wing is done, bolted up strong and in the correct profile. Very happy with that, large hurdle crossed. no what's next....
wing done fitted fixed up a.png

Here I go with the right side wing, This one might not be so long and difficult as most of the retained nuts seem to be in place and serviceable, don't know for sure until I try a test fit. These brand new pattern wings are generic to several models of beetle, so they partially fit all, but none particularly well, all need a bit of fettling. But it makes them economically sound to produce, as they sell more of them. So, ready steady go...
right wing ready steady go.png

I can't believe it, it bolted up right away. The car angels are shining down on Mickey and me. Not a bad fit as it goes, just two nuts to clear out at the front and a small adjustment to raise it about 3mm. This is the first time I've seen Mickey with all four wings on. The originals were in a terrible state and the right rear was off and laying on the tire. Come a long way. Soon it'll be time for a general flatting back and a coat of primer paint.
wing bolted on, two nuts missing front.jpg

time now for a cup of tea and put my feet up, more tomorrow.

Ecosse

On ROPS
On ROPs
as a reference for wing fit, and this is a bit of thread cross over from here and the Arrse modelling thread, I have a 1200 kit.
View attachment 663408
this is better than a photo, I can turn the model in my hands and check it from all angles. The rear wing to skirt fot does show the gasket piping running down between the panels.
View attachment 663409
View attachment 663411
and the front wing to quarter panel fit shows how little of the QP bottom edge shows.
View attachment 663410
I'll keep this model shell on the workshop window sill for quick reference.
View attachment 663412
Flat hubcaps bud.
I think your model is a 1500cc.
They did a semi-Auto of it....same chassis that got front disk brakes and double jointed rear swing axles to tame the dreaded "lift off- tuck under - terminal oversteer trait.

Flatties came out with first 1300 mills...I think.
My Dads 1200a '65 had domed hubcaps.
The engine cover later was reworked, different bootlight as your model displays as well.
Dad & car a year before he topped himself.....and left me to sell it.

Finished the wing this morning, had to drill out two retained nuts, then wound in two new bolts and washers having adjusted the wing up 3mm then tightened down all the bolts.
top of wing profile.png

with that task completed it's time to prep for the next stage, painting the whole body in Primer. But first there's some tasks to perform, first, removing the last electrical mechanical component, the wiper motor mechanism assembly.
removing the wiper motor assembly a.png

taping down the wiper spindles gently with a hammer once the retaining nuts are wound off.
spindles tapped downward.png

undoing the retaining nut that holds the motor to the retaining frame under the scuttle.
removing the wiper motor assembly b.png

and out, leaving a space to be cleaned up and painted.
removing the wiper motor assembly e.png

the assembly out for inspection.
removing the wiper motor assembly c.png

I have three of these, two more came with the spares in the original purchase, so i'm sure I'll be able to make one good one out of three.
removing the wiper motor assembly d.png

the clips for the chrome trim strips will come out tomorrow. This will allow me to sand the whole body shell.
chrome trim for removal a.png

some new one's on order from E bay,£5 including postage, whereas, they're £10 from the Heritage center.
new clips from e bay.jpg

anglo

LE
I can't believe it, it bolted up right away. The car angels are shining down on Mickey and me. Not a bad fit as it goes, just two nuts to clear out at the front and a small adjustment to raise it about 3mm. This is the first time I've seen Mickey with all four wings on. The originals were in a terrible state and the right rear was off and laying on the tire. Come a long way. Soon it'll be time for a general flatting back and a coat of primer paint.
View attachment 664795
time now for a cup of tea and put my feet up, more tomorrow.
Are you removing the wings for spraying, or spray in situ, either way the wings have got to come off
again to fit the Wing Beading

The way i used to do it along with many other professionals, is Da sander with 180 grit, then high build primer.
Guide coat and wet hand flat with 600/ or 800 grit. Good luck.

Plucking the old clips out using pliers, the first one left the dome of the pip sticking out the hole in the panel. But I could tap it out and catch it underneath.
pincers.png

the other two so far, came out intact.
removed trim clips.png

neat clean hole ready to be sanded over.
hole made by removal of trim.png

Slime

LE
After an overall sanding of the complete exterior, I panel wiped the whole shell and gave Coat of grey etch primer from a can to areas I'll be concentrating on over the next few weeks, mainly the quarter panels. These have all been substantially repaired and as such need a lot of time getting them flat.
exterior prep gv etch primer.jpg

I'll be starting with this one. You can see the variation from the new repair panel and the old original above it, the new paint coat highlights what I've still got to do..
ETCH PRIMER.png

I dug out my spray gun from the garage shelf, haven't used this for years, I hope I gave it a good clean after I'd finished spraying my Morris minor pickup. I'll be studying how to strip, clean and assemble this over the next few weeks. I'll have it ready in time.
first look at the paint spray gun in years.png

now I can see where the problems lie, a coat of filler freshly applied, allowed to dry overnight before sanding to profile, then filler to fill the gouges, then sanding those, then more filler lightly applied as we go along. alternating the paper to finer as well.
first filler.png

filler a.jpg

LARD

GCM
now I can see where the problems lie, a coat of filler freshly applied, allowed to dry overnight before sanding to profile, then filler to fill the gouges, then sanding those, then more filler lightly applied as we go along. alternating the paper to finer as well.
View attachment 665348
View attachment 665349
Coming along nicely @SPROCKET321.

I sometimes watch US customs car programs on TV and they seem to have an odd habit of completely covering the car in filler (or 'bondo' in their parlance) and then sanding back to profile. I'm sure this is not due to the body having been attacked by kids with toffee hammers, so is it just to get a flawless paint finish or what?

Truxx

LE
If you know that they are going to fit because you have tried them (at least a dozen times in my experience) then paint them off the car. Especially if space etc is limited and you are not in a booth. You can position the panels with good all around access and can ensure they are at optimum angle to minimise the chances of them collecting dust.

20220517_170828.jpg
20220422_162124.jpg
20220522_172607.jpg

Latest Threads