from Old English White to green moss and rust

Has Cameron helped his future FIL with any practical side of the restoration or has he been tied up choosing soft furnishing for the new home :)
all come in handy for lifting the body onto and off the floorpan, but it's my labour of love, I plan on getting it back into the workshop in time for winter.

This’ll make you laugh @SPROCKET321
48FBDB6A-6444-4E91-9B88-8454CA2FB324.jpeg

Scunner

Old-Salt
I've always kind of liked these in a way.... So horrendous that they are cool? Can't imagine that it would last long in the UK climate or a minor shunt on the motorway...
VW-Super-Bugger.jpg

Last edited:
So, New Year, new part of the project to repair, the left side door, It's a mess, see what can be done with it.
left door exterior side overview.png

welding that long bottom seam, where the repair panel has replaced the rotted out lower edge, will take patience, slowly bit by bit letting it cool down to avoid distortion.

looks rough, but once that weld is in I can grind it down.
long bottom door weld half way done.png

Last edited:
it's rough in several areas, a mini project in it's own right. This is the trailing edge at the bottom.
trailing bottom edge ext.png

and to top it all, three small holes mid panel, that'll be a prime candidate for a welded in patch,.
holes in the door panel.png

the leading edge has new metal part way welded in, needs a bit of attention to finish that off too.
bottom front corner ext.png

little bit more welded today, grind that weld back and it'll level out, looks rough, I can't use the higher settings on the mig as it'll be too "Hot" and blow holes in the thin steel. setting me back a step. Little areas here and there to let it cool. Patience is key, it's tempting to go the whole hog and do one long weld.
bottom front corner ext b.png

marking out a square mid panel to cut out and replace with a new patch of fresh steel, just like on the one and only surviving original wing, the rear left.
square marked for cut out.png

Slime

LE
little bit more welded today, grind that weld back and it'll level out, looks rough, I can't use the higher settings on the mig as it'll be too "Hot" and blow holes in the thin steel. setting me back a step. Little areas here and there to let it cool. Patience is key, it's tempting to go the whole hog and do one long weld.
View attachment 631563
marking out a square mid panel to cut out and replace with a new patch of fresh steel, just like on the one and only surviving original wing, the rear left.
View attachment 631564
Do you have a joggling tool so you could overlap the panels?

oh yes, all part of the fun, here's that patch going in the RNS wing, all joggled, the edges crimped to let the central patch raise up to meet the surrounding metal surface.
weld clamps holding.jpg

Truxx

LE
View attachment 631563
View attachment 631564
An airline with a blowgun to cool the weld quickly is a good idea. Or a wet rag. nothing worse than a nice weld on a wobbly panel.

Slime

LE
I used to use a paste. No idea what it was called and if you can still get it, but it absorbed the heat if you smeared it onto the surrounding metal.
I had mixed results.
Beaten to it.

Latest Threads