from Old English White to green moss and rust

test fit of the cardboard template on the area to be cut away
cardboard template offered up.jpg

using the template to mark out the flat steel. Then cut off the cardboard flange
to mark the curve where the steel has to be bent to shape.
card template edge cut off.jpg

held in a vice and gradually tapped to shape, the part offered up to check for shape, overall curve and depth. Also taking into consideration the metal offset by the original steel that has not been cut away yet
offering up for curve.jpg

Nice view of my previous project taken yesterday, this one took three years to get back to working order and back on the road, getting out and about in it, is what all this cutting and welding is all about.
steyning bowl wide.jpg

my pencil line was so faint I used masking tape to give me a clearer cut line.
tape showing cut.jpg

using a cutting disc in an angle grinder, carefully to get the most accurate cut I could manage.
nearly cut through.jpg

the cut out bit, mainly rust with a few mil of good steel at the top edge.
cut out piece.jpg

the fabricated piece with a curve at the bottom edge, held fast with mini welding clamps.
weld clamps holding.jpg

This is where the repair is located on the wing.
part welded in.jpg

grinding down the welds flat and even with a flap disc in the angle grinder, the inside surface looks like this, worth running a bead of weld down that join to keep the moisture out. The darts that allow the patch to bend to the curve of the wing can now be welded up too.
welded plate inside surface.jpg

the edges of the arch needed sanding down to steel and krusting
wing internal edge krusted.jpg

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
grinding down the welds flat and even with a flap disc in the angle grinder, the inside surface looks like this, worth running a bead of weld down that join to keep the moisture out. The darts that allow the patch to bend to the curve of the wing can now be welded up too.
View attachment 575137
the edges of the arch needed sanding down to steel and krusting
View attachment 575138
A shrinker stretcher is good for forming curved flanges
The old guy I used to watch /make tea for, used to get sheets of blockboard faced with ply offcuts from a furniture company, then replicate the section in wood from a card template and gently beat it to shape over it
He had hundreds of the little bucks hanging from the walls, mind he started his trading at a carrozeria in Italy, but 7th armoured bagged him and his mates and he stayed here
He also said there is no one way to do a job, and you need to use what you have
He helped a lot of car restorers out with advice on their projects
My dad bought me some of his tools when he retired
Perhaps with a bit more practise I might be able to do more than put dents and creases in things

good old body filler, great stuff to spread and sand off.
second coat of filler.jpg

boat of black when it dries to show up highs and lows...
black coat before sanding.jpg

sanded back, ready for another tell tale coat of black
black coat sanded.jpg

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
20210523_072302.jpg

This lives just along from me if you need anything "liberated" :)

super, or later beetle, not correct for this project, but thanks for the heads up.
are you uprating the springs to account for the extra metal & filler :)
with all the rusted steel I'm cutting out and replacing I think the weight will break even.
View attachment 575591

This lives just along from me if you need anything "liberated" :)
Steal from Betty, wash thy mouth out with Brandy.

Just got this book from E bay, looks informative and entertaining.
book cover how to.jpg

it's pouring with rain today, might just pour myself a cup of tea and sit a read this.
comedy sketch a.jpg

that's me right there, got a hitch with where to get re started with re- assembling the engine. read this through and get some inspiration.
comedy sketch b.jpg

the fan box is next for some work, the vent flaps have rusted in place.
fan rust wire brushed.jpg

krust brushed on there after some de rusting with a wire brush.
fan box de rusting but jammed up.jpg

the wire operated change lever is stuck fast, let that krust do it's thing before I get in there with some wd 40 and free it loose.
fan box vents cu.jpg

turning the fan by hand has loosened that up, after some mouse nesting material was taken out with rat nose pliers. left a little pile behind on the work top.
fan rust pile.jpg

with a paint brush dipped in a pot of engine oil, swiped over the swivels and joints, a few taps with a hammer here and there. It opens and closes with ease now.
vent shutters open.
heater vents open.jpg

Last edited:
Sprocket, I stumbled across this on Farceache. Might be a kindred sprit!

I'm considered an old Codger, that crept up slowly, maybe my kids have a point then, seems like only yesterday I was calling the elderly, old codgers. What goes around I suppose. Thanks for the link I'll look it up.

Latest Threads