from Old English White to green moss and rust

I don't know if they're still there, but there were 2 or 3 BMW Isetta bubble cars rotting outside a bunker on Nesscliffe Trg Area (south area). That was about 4 or 5 years ago and they were in a poor state then.

Truxx

LE
Actually Truxx, if it's the later Beetle, it was black.
Dad had to wait a bit for the so called "special order" from Cameron & Cambell in Great Western, together with rather rakish Bosch spots & Bonnet Bib.
It came with Schwarz sickers stuck all over.
Guess who got the job of peeling them off.
definitely an earlier one from the 60s. I could have sworn it was black (with red uphostery) but might have been dark blue (it was dark in the barn)

definitely an earlier one from the 60s. I could have sworn it was black (with red uphostery) but might have been dark blue (it was dark in the barn)
Our black Beetle, I think , was 1965...cannot be 100% certain. Just rings an old bell.

But does the mill turn?
I expect you will strip it though.
Just curious.
no it's doesn't turn, and I'm reluctant to apply more pressure. It has sat for several years, so will need, as you say, a full strip down, clean and assess. I'm quite lucky as I have VW Beetle Heritage parts Shoreham-by-sea, just down the road from me. Brilliant. Not far to travel in my Morris Minor Pickup to collect parts for the restoration each month, spreading the cost. I found the Engine of my Minor to have been Gucked up with foul old oil, the only way I got that turning freely was after a full strip down.

Truxx

LE
no it's doesn't turn, and I'm reluctant to apply more pressure. It has sat for several years, so will need, as you say, a full strip down, clean and assess. I'm quite lucky as I have VW Beetle Heritage parts Shoreham-by-sea, just down the road from me. Brilliant. Not far to travel in my Morris Minor Pickup to collect parts for the restoration each month, spreading the cost. I found the Engine of my Minor to have been Gucked up with foul old oil, the only way I got that turning freely was after a full strip down.
Justy got a load of parts from Heritage. Very decent quality. Over £50 carriage was free. Well worth getting a VW adapter for an engine stand or there is actually a bench mounted one

true to his word Alan delivered Mickey to my drive this morning, dry, sunshine, low wind, couldn't be better conditions. first step, time for a clean up.
arrival on the drive a.jpg

arrival on the drive c.jpg

after pressure washing the outside it was time to sweep out the floor, another Mickey showed himself
Mickey the mummified mouse.jpg

Last edited:
under cover outside the workshop.jpg
Alan, the guy that delivered the Beetle is a long standing mate of Neil, the guy that sold me it, he is looking into if the Fiat 500 is for sale, mentioned this to Alan to ask if there was an update, not so far, @Trux ,but he mentioned he has a Mahindra jeep and a split screen Moggy project cars for sale...now he tells me.
anyone interested I have his tel number.

Mickey under sheets for the moment, just to keep the neighbours on side.

Last edited:
the drivers seat had to be removed with a sledge hammer!, knocking it forward knock by knock so that it slid forward on it's rail, and out...
drivers seat removed.jpg

the passenger seat was worse, the rails needed soaking with WD 40 and hammered out cm by cm. Seats are out at last....
seats out.jpg

Last edited:
so lets take a look at the glorious rust holes.. starting with the floor forward.
rust holes bare floor forward.jpg

the rear perforated heater channel. plenty of fresh air coming in
rear heater perforated channel.jpg

closer view of the front nearside corner, that wire! this will be getting a brand new loom, several years in the future, stay tuned...
rust fns corner.jpg

could you get a rust free shell from a dry country ?
otherwise its going to be lots of work
and a big electricity bill ?
When I purchased my Morris, I spent ages getting the best that I could find, both in originality and lack of rust
mind its been on jacks in the workshop for ten years
You're missing the point josh, I've chosen a rush bucket as a restoration project, because I want a restoration project.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
You're missing the point josh, I've chosen a rush bucket as a restoration project, because I want a restoration project.
Aha
too much time on your hands !!!
I am flat out so mine is not getting much attention
hopefully this coming year I can sell the 2 tonnes of classic car spares I bought and get room enough to start working

Aaargh...rusty tin. Over many years I've built several cars from scratch. (not kits). I've rescued a couple of cars with a bit of welding. (Nothing like the job you've given yourself) that's why I stuck mainly to m/cycles,AMC, as the spares are available and reasonably "cheap". Many years ago I sourced a pair of new front and rear AMC mudguards and made moulds from them. A few people disliked them, but I sold a bucketload through recommendations. The thinking was, put your good metal ones in the attic and stick mine on. Without a magnet you couldn't tell the difference, et voyla, as yer man said..but back to rust. By and large, bikes are bereft of skinny tin stuff. Good solid metal.
I'll stick to bikes from now on.

Latest Threads