Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

from Old English White to green moss and rust

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
more stud shenanigans, this time on the other side. Starting by removing the old metal gasket, the stud on the right has a big chunk taken out of it.
View attachment 520485
not ready to refit this yet, but a comparison is always interesting of old and new.
View attachment 520486
bit of heat on the stud so I can simply wind it out....
View attachment 520487
well it hasn't happened for me yet but I live in hope.
View attachment 520488
I bloodyhate doing that these days
I take mine to an engineering firm they have some special machine
and it all comes back with a nice new bit of stud properly treated

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Hey Sprocket
just noticed this on facebook< can see beetle wings
and use to you ?
its on this closed group you might have to join first

Finally got around to buying myself some serious drill bits,Dewalt Extreme 2 these cut through the metal of the studs in no time, I made more progress with this in five minutes than it took me a whole day with the others.
new dewalt drill bits 7mm.jpg

that's the last two studs finished, now I can move on to something else, like fitting the heads back on.
the exhaust studs all done.jpg

the steps for reassembly are many and any mistakes will come back to bite me later on. Step one measure the length of the pushrod tubes for minimum length and fit the new white ring seals.
white seals for the pushrod tubes.jpg

the order of tightening the bolts fastening the head to the jugs is crucial to stop the fragile head cracking. The haynes suggest 23 foot pounds.
nut tightening order and foot lbs.jpg

23 foot pounds, trying to interpret that on my torque wrench, it says up to 23, so anything beyond that is too much pressure.
torque 28 b.jpg

back on, the push rods placed back in their exact tubes, carefully wiggled onto the taps.
nut tightening head back on.jpg

the gasket and seal set provides four seals that look the same, and two that look less likely, but their numbers match. The original oil cooler seals are the squashed black one's on the left.
oil cooler seals.jpg

I'm going for the two on the right
oil cooler seals cu.jpg

This just appeared on my feed for some reason, but I think anyone that is following this thread will enjoy it! I'm going to try and find the body-work one - if there is one!

finally broke through the hard compressed carbon jamming up the heater tube. Using a long drill bit.....
the pipe drilled a.jpg

some of the carbon drilled out as dust.
drilling out carbon deposit dust pan.jpg

I'll do some more drilling widening the pathway, before welding up the holes I made in the elbows.
drilling out carbon blocking the pipe c.jpg

using a long bar to turn the engine over by hand, I'm concerned about the forward and backward movement of the flywheel as it rotates, does this mean the engine has seen all it's life, there was no movement of the flywheel backward and forward with the prybar, just as it rotates as you can see in the video.

winter check of the bodywork, moved the rain cover off and quite shocked how much rain we've had, or rather.....
winter check.jpg

how much of the rain we've had that's settled in the floor well.
winter check b.jpg

sponged out three buckets worth of rainwater
winter check g.jpg

nice and clean now, and ready for some drain holes at the lowest point in the floor.
winter check h.jpg

gave it a good sponging over and a touch up of k rust here and there, then the rain cover back on with more bungees holding it down. That's it tied down for Christmas. Lets see what the new year will bring.
winter check cover back on b.jpg