Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

from Old English White to green moss and rust

this washing up bowl looks like a prop from the young ones house, but it's just the thing for containing all this guck. this toothbrush has been used to clean the whole project.
cylinder pot one cleaning.png

gunk stands a better chance of cleaning the parts better if left to soak in for a while.
cylinder pot one cleaning b.png

while that soaks in, the cylinder heads get a coat of it.
cylinder head right prior to cleaning a.png

brush it into every corner.
cylinder head left clean a.png

no stranger to cleaning are we.
block jobs black line over eyes.png

get in there! this area is rather crucial to the happy running of the motor, major clean up before that valve seat is inspected.
cylinder head right cleaning b.png

Sprocket, just seen this company on FB market,

machine 7.com Classic VW spares.

If it’s of any use.

chers Rob, I'll look them up, always room for another competitive car parts company. With more you scan for special offers the more you can stick to budget.

a bath for the jugs after 24hrs soaking in Gunk, good scrub to get that ground on grease off.
jug in a bowl of water b.png

same thing for the cylinder heads, good scrub.
cylinder head in bowl of water.png

look what turned up, once the dirt and grease was washed out, the reason I couldn't seat the socket to unscrew the plug in cylinder three. A collar of some sort had got itself wedged in there. problem solved.
collar found behind the plug.png

the heads were given another coat of Gunk, before being subjected to a very helpful jet spray.
jet washing the head in action.png

the heads were a lot cleaner afterwards
jet washed head.png

also out were the exhaust and heat exchanger assembly.
cleanin the heat exchangers a.png

the spraying exposed the state of the tinwork, the left one was solid.
cleanin the heat exchangers B.png

the rust holes on the right side heat exchanger is too far gone for use.
cleanin the heat exchangers C.png

the pipework was also sprayed, water shot out from the larger pipe, but the narrower one is absolutely chocker block with carbon, I may have found the main reason why the engine suffered an over heating, causing the blackness we've seen.
pipes blocked.png

not a slight blockage, but a blockage from one end to the other.
blocked up pipe.png

the carbon is packed in there.
blocked up pipe b.png

the curved opening area can be drilled out, but the centre of the pipe has to be accessed by cutting, drilling and clearing out from one end to the other.
drilling out the pipe.png

the larger pipe isn't blocked, water shot through there coming out the other ends.
clear pipe.png

the valve tops were sprayed, but they need longer soaking in the gunk to soften the deposits.
valve tops cleaned b.png

the pipework was also sprayed, water shot out from the larger pipe, but the narrower one is absolutely chocker block with carbon, I may have found the main reason why the engine suffered an over heating, causing the blackness we've seen.
View attachment 516339
not a slight blockage, but a blockage from one end to the other.
View attachment 516340
the carbon is packed in there.
View attachment 516341
the curved opening area can be drilled out, but the centre of the pipe has to be accessed by cutting, drilling and clearing out from one end to the other.
View attachment 516342
Small pipe is a heater for the manifold, prevents it icing up, it works by routing hot exhaust gases under the manifold, using a long piece of wire in a drill breaks up the carbon,
or what I used to do with cement mixer exhausts was heat them up with oxyacetylene burners, this drys out the carbon and it just falls out with a tap

the jugs going on the right way around this time, "I wondered who'd be the first to spot that"
asssembling the jugs back on.png

holding the rings down with a band of cardboard, tapping the jugs into place with the gaskets on the other side, this time.
all four on.png

Latest Threads