Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

from Old English White to green moss and rust

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I wasn't planning to mess with that, I'll take it down to exposed cylinders both sides, major cleanup and reassembly from there, I'm not even taking out the dizzy, saving the timing. Do you think the cooling fin break is a problem? that's the only question mark hanging so far on this motor, it turns ok, cylinders appear tight enough fit.
View attachment 514759
get it welded
lots of older motorcycles suffer from broken fins
easy meat for one of the smaller firms to weld a new section of fin on

Truxx

LE
get it welded
lots of older motorcycles suffer from broken fins
easy meat for one of the smaller firms to weld a new section of fin on
Brazed is quicker and cooler especially as finding a metal similar enough to take a weld might be problematic.

But sticking a bit of fin on will not make a scrap of difference to the cooling or any other engine function.

There are tens of things to ensure are shipshape cooling wise before that.

the right hand cylinder head is finally off, that was not going to give up easily.
right side head off.png

the forward pot just fell off, but the rearmost pot wasn't shifting, the pots are covered in fragile fins, so I used the angled head of my Stilson to tap it off using the strong and harder top lip. And a gap started, and got bigger and bigger and off it came.
method for removing a pot.png

peeking into the block, passed the forward right piston. Piston No1.
peek inside block cu.png

It's pretty grotty in there, so I'm at the crossroads, with meg Mortimer asking me if I want a short term stay or a longer term. Do I go full strip down of the block, or clean and assemble from here and sort the insides with solutions swilling it around turning the pulley wheel with a spanner and emptying it out through the drain plug post assembly.
moment of truth full or partial strip.png

peeking into the block, passed the forward right piston. Piston No1.
View attachment 515437
It's pretty grotty in there, so I'm at the crossroads, with meg Mortimer asking me if I want a short term stay or a longer term. Do I go full strip down of the block, or clean and assemble from here and sort the insides with solutions swilling it around turning the pulley wheel with a spanner and emptying it out through the drain plug post assembly.
View attachment 515438
I don’t think you’d get it clean enough without a strip. Thing is, is it a keeper or once running flogging it?
If your keeping, complete strip and rebuild or wash it out get running.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
the right hand cylinder head is finally off, that was not going to give up easily.
View attachment 515389

the forward pot just fell off, but the rearmost pot wasn't shifting, the pots are covered in fragile fins, so I used the angled head of my Stilson to tap it off using the strong and harder top lip. And a gap started, and got bigger and bigger and off it came.
View attachment 515391
leave the spark plug in after squirting some oil in and turn the crank

Gunk at the ready, I may well end up splitting the case, but in the meantime, lets see what this stuff does to the baked on grease on the block exterior.
gunk product.png

if you've never used this stuff it comes out in a liquid and you scrub it into the surfaces to be cleaned.
Gunk first application a.png

drip tray at the ready....
Gunk first application b.png

I might as well remove the pistons from the con rods, can't clean them properly like this.
Gunk first application c.png

the valve stems are cleaning up ok, with carb cleaner on a rag. These are in fact aluminium tubes, with the hole allowing oil to flow through, they'll also need pulling through like the barrel of a shotgun, a very small shotgun.
valve rods clean comparison b.png

after the second application, and wash down of Gunk, I'm beginning to feel confident in this stuff.
after second aplication of gunk a.png

there is metal under there...
after second aplication of gunk b.png

at this rate It'll be clean in days
after second aplication of gunk c.png

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
View attachment 515389

View attachment 515391
I had a front wing like that once.

the next day the engine has dried out and given me a better idea of where I am cleaning wise, it's worth every penny that Gunk stuff.
after third application of gunk, next day a.png

so, the next application of gunk will be needed here. Jug One
cylinder pot one cleaning a.png