Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

from Old English White to green moss and rust

quick spray and wipe with wd40 and it's looking less K9 shitey down there already.
dog shite alley.png

next off the right side pot covers, this was just rusted ruins, came off with a groan of twisted metal. But it came off.
right side jugs tin removed.png

here's the oil filter, looks like a scene from Towering inferno
View attachment 514152
so now I'm down to brass tacks, next off will be the valves.
More likely to be the oil cooler than the filter - my 36hp only had a strainer in the sump - was it within the fan shroud ?

out with the Rocker valves assembly, shocking state, hardened calcified oil.
valve top removed.png

the valves removed both sides, here they are in a cardbox awaiting cleanup, marked with masking tape for orientation, the plugs out and ready for examination.
box of marked valves and spark plugs.png

Last edited:
More likely to be the oil cooler than the filter - my 36hp only had a strainer in the sump - was it within the fan shroud ?

I Tip my hat to you, that is the oil cooler, and it is next off...
oil cooler a.png

due to your helpful comment I was able to look it up and there are helpful You tubers out there
oil cooler b.png

today was an epic steps forward, first, off with the left side cylinder head. A view looking down the jugs onto the tops of the cylinders.
pot top surfaces.png

then off with the jugs, and an even better view of the exposed cylinders.
pots off cylinders exposed.png

sorry for the pause, I had to rush out and buy a car cover, for reasons to be explained in a moment.
so the pots came off and exposed the cylinders, they look ok so far with nice tight fitting cylinder rings. There's some sign of blackening,scorching, maybe a sign of overheating at some point. But it's not pitted, only light scorching.
inside of pot.png

I've placed a scrap of cardboard on the table and layed out the removed parts in order left to right.
parts on the table.png

I need to invest in some more cleaning products, this stuff is a mess, calcified oil on every surface.
the only damage is this broken off cooling fin off the left forward pot, not a deal breaker, but a shame all the same.
broken pot cooling fin.png

anglo

LE
sorry for the pause, I had to rush out and buy a car cover, for reasons to be explained in a moment.
so the pots came off and exposed the cylinders, they look ok so far with nice tight fitting cylinder rings. There's some sign of blackening,scorching, maybe a sign of overheating at some point. But it's not pitted, only light scorching.
View attachment 514750
I've placed a scrap of cardboard on the table and layed out the removed parts in order left to right.
View attachment 514751
Are you going to put a gauge on the cylinder bores?

the right side is unbolted and ready to pull, but some help presented itself in the form of Daughter, daughters other half and my son Harry, together we lifted the body onto the chassis.
front view of first body to chassis test fit a.png

that front wheel looks well outward, but it's just the angle of the picture and the wide lens exaggerating perspective. here it is from the back, you can see why I popped to the shops to get a car cover, it's raining and my new floor is exposed.
rear view of first body to chassis test fit.png

looking great, new and old joined together, temporarily in a test fit.
floor view though rear window of first body to chassis test fit a.png

anglo

LE
the right side is unbolted and ready to pull, but some help presented itself in the form of Daughter, daughters other half and my son Harry, together we lifted the body onto the chassis.
View attachment 514753
that front wheel looks well outward, but it's just the angle of the picture and the wide lens exaggerating perspective. here it is from the back, you can see why I popped to the shops to get a car cover, it's raining and my new floor is exposed.
View attachment 514755
looking great, new and old joined together, temporarily in a test fit.
View attachment 514756
That's looking good

Are you going to put a gauge on the cylinder bores?
I wasn't planning to mess with that, I'll take it down to exposed cylinders both sides, major cleanup and reassembly from there, I'm not even taking out the dizzy, saving the timing. Do you think the cooling fin break is a problem? that's the only question mark hanging so far on this motor, it turns ok, cylinders appear tight enough fit.
broken pot cooling fin.png

anglo

LE
I wasn't planning to mess with that, I'll take it down to exposed cylinders both sides, major cleanup and reassembly from there, I'm not even taking out the dizzy, saving the timing. Do you think the cooling fin break is a problem? that's the only question mark hanging so far on this motor, it turns ok, cylinders appear tight enough fit.
View attachment 514759
That small piece of cooling fin missing is no problem, the engine is somewhat
over-engineered

Get some traffic film remover or TFR truck wash to soak the bit its . People use it in engine rebuild places to clean stuff . It will clean out DPF filters so that gives you a idea how good it is .

thanks for the help there guys, I'm so pleased, secretly, that the floor and chassis all matched up, after all the cutting out and welding in, I did wonder if I'd made a mistake, today showed me it all fits.
floor seals joined up.png

Latest Threads