from Old English White to green moss and rust

LARD

War Hero
Is it really a 0854? I cant see the second back axle. Matador though (AEC not Scammell)
Head hung in shame. Got carried away and got it wrong. Thanks for the correction @Truxx. Was it the 0853?

a coat of Halfords Krust liquid rubbed into the sheet metal shrouds with a toothbrush. The chemical reaction turns rust into stable black metal again, it's only really effective if it's followed with a coat of primer to keep the oxygen away to stop further rust forming.
krust covering.jpg

after 24 hrs, most of the blue has turned black, I can now slide this on it's casters under the bench, out of the way to make room for the chassis/body to arrive next friday.
krust after 24 hrs.jpg

Correct.

Much more likely to be a Matador in timber guise as it had a 7 ton winch that was easily reeved over a simple jib.
In the sixties the Lakeland bluestone quarry at the top of kirkstone pass had four with wood bolted onto the chassis rails. They used to chain on big lumps of stone ( looking back probably ten ton blocks) and drive down one in five switchback tracks to the sawing sheds.with no safety rails and a 300 foot drop if the brakes went. Terrified me watching as a 5 year old. Knowing what the brakes are like it scares me even more now!!!

a coat of Halfords Krust liquid rubbed into the sheet metal shrouds with a toothbrush. The chemical reaction turns rust into stable black metal again, it's only really effective if it's followed with a coat of primer to keep the oxygen away to stop further rust forming.
View attachment 435441

after 24 hrs, most of the blue has turned black, I can now slide this on it's casters under the bench, out of the way to make room for the chassis/body to arrive next friday.
View attachment 435442
As the former owner of a much loved 1200 Beetle built in Germany in Jan 1978, thank you for your care and efforts. A separate thread for Mickey would be great to see your progress.

My lovely old Beetle was written off by a speeding traffic plod and I have been unable to get attached to a car since. Although, following Josh's link for the classic car site, I found this which is a close sibling to my car and I keep going back for another look:

1978 Volkswagen Beetle Last Edition For Sale | Car And Classic

Truxx

LE
In the sixties the Lakeland bluestone quarry at the top of kirkstone pass had four with wood bolted onto the chassis rails. They used to chain on big lumps of stone ( looking back probably ten ton blocks) and drive down one in five switchback tracks to the sawing sheds.with no safety rails and a 300 foot drop if the brakes went. Terrified me watching as a 5 year old. Knowing what the brakes are like it scares me even more now!!!
My dad did similar with limestone. We used tractors and trailers initially to bring stuff down of the fell tops then turned to ex army trucks that were always overloaded and utterly brakeless (we would load 3 tons onto 1 ton K(s and a whopping 10 tons onto QL 3 tonners). Provided that you were in the right gear at the top and didn't touch anything then they were quite steady even on the steepest decents.

This would have been appropriate
brakes.jpg

Truxx

LE
View attachment 435441

View attachment 435442
It is good stuff that provided that the rust is not too crusty.

The Halfords version is actually a stuff called Vactan which is resin based. I tend to use a lot of just the liquid (no resin) known as Fertan, as you can apply it with a garden spray and get it into all the nooks and crannies. It is, for instance, excellent in door internals.

As the former owner of a much loved 1200 Beetle built in Germany in Jan 1978, thank you for your care and efforts. A separate thread for Mickey would be great to see your progress.

My lovely old Beetle was written off by a speeding traffic plod and I have been unable to get attached to a car since. Although, following Josh's link for the classic car site, I found this which is a close sibling to my car and I keep going back for another look:

1978 Volkswagen Beetle Last Edition For Sale | Car And Classic
Beetles played a big part in my young years.
They are Marmite of course, but as a GP Dad needed something that would complete journeys 365 days of the year.

VYS 655.

EGE 444C
Dr. Jim.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
About 30 years ago I was working for an old guy, we got chatting about cars, he was an Ex Para WW2 nice bloke very modest
after the war he had some emotional problems and moved to Canada, his job with a printing company entailed lots of driving, and he said American cars were too thirsty and brit cars just rusted away and gave suspension problems
he purchased one of the first VWs that came to his area, and it ran and ran and ran
people mocked it and him for buying German
but he said it always started, was reliable and never suffered with cracked blocks

They are Marmite of course, but as a GP Dad needed something that would complete journeys 365 days of the year.

VYS 655.

EGE 444C
Dr. Jim.

Yep. I let my dad drive mine once and he stopped and got out after 100 yards making rather unnecessarily rude remarks.

I used mine every day for six years and would happily drive it down to England from NE Scotland to see my parents at Christmas. One year, we had snow and my dad's Vauxhall refused to start on the drive. He's not at all mechanically-minded and refused to let me have a look so called the AA. The AA bloke plummeted in my dad's eyes when he took one look at my car and told my dad that if he wanted reliable he had the epitome right there in front of him.

One year on the way back up north I had stopped to refuel and a bloke about 20 years older than me came over to the pump to look at the car. He used to have an early 70s 1303 and quickly started reminiscing, clearly very fond of it, so I let him have a sit in mine for old times sake. I was a bit surprised at the time, but now I get it. It's over 20 years since mine was wrecked and I still miss driving it.

but he said it always started, was reliable and never suffered with cracked blocks
That's the alloy air-cooled block for you.
Designed to run all day on The Furher's new fangled autobhans.
Dad was always very particular about oil levels/changes. As far as he was concerned, the oil provided a lot of cooling assistance.

Good call on point 4. I have a customer for one of those - in timber guise too.

Cost to restore the cab alone (steel on ash) about £8K

Five gets you four that a pair of batteries on it and it will run.
I used to have one, considerably rougher than that one. I wouldn't take your bet, highly likely to be running and driving even in that state.

When I had mine I just missed a brand new never fitted cab that was sold out of a long forgotten stores warehouse.
Cab was sold for £800......

Truxx

LE
That's the alloy air-cooled block for you.
Designed to run all day on The Furher's new fangled autobhans.
Dad was always very particular about oil levels/changes. As far as he was concerned, the oil provided a lot of cooling assistance.
Daughters T2 camper (1600) gets a bit warm; she had to replace the Mexican cylinder heads that she purchased when restoring it with some original VW ones. Even then she has fitted a Bug Saver, which is a replacement dipstick with a thermocouple in it. If the oil gets a bit hot then, as it is wired into the oil pressure sender, the oil pressure light on the dash comes on. It flashes at first (at which she can ease off a bit and assist it to cool a bit) and if it comes on solid she simply finds somewhere safe to pull over and let things cool down a bit.

The other thing she discovered was the importance of retaining all of the associated tinwork and thermostatic venting (she got advice for instance from a so-called expert that you could bin the thermostat and just remove the vents. Simply not true, as it runs cooler with some constraint on the airflow)

Truxx

LE
About 30 years ago I was working for an old guy, we got chatting about cars, he was an Ex Para WW2 nice bloke very modest
after the war he had some emotional problems and moved to Canada, his job with a printing company entailed lots of driving, and he said American cars were too thirsty and brit cars just rusted away and gave suspension problems
he purchased one of the first VWs that came to his area, and it ran and ran and ran
people mocked it and him for buying German
Plus of course they only really came into being because of a brit.

Truxx

LE

VYS 655.

EGE 444C
Dr. Jim.

Nice colour (the dark blue) - that is what colour the granddaughters should be (it is orange currently)

Daft really she was offered a second one out of the same barn recently - a black 68 De Lux, sadly we have enough projects between us so it had to stay in the barn!

Actually Truxx, if it's the later Beetle, it was black.
Dad had to wait a bit for the so called "special order" from Cameron & Cambell in Great Western, together with rather rakish Bosch spots & Bonnet Bib.
It came with Schwarz sickers stuck all over.
Guess who got the job of peeling them off.

the engine re placed on the home made trolley with the help of my Daughter and her partner, it's sat right in the centre and placed away under the bench for the time being.
motor under the bench.jpg

spent some time this morning finding homes for everything to make space, ready now for the arrival of the body on friday, it'll sit in here over Christmas ready for the big start.
open space.jpg

Latest Threads