Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

from Old English White to green moss and rust

Found this today - 46 years old....

D3001BBD-61EB-4C5B-9212-173A653B9918.jpeg

In a bit of a state but only 68K on the clock..

8622437F-4606-4499-B5A4-FCC39F1EE926.jpeg

after adjusting the handbrake bar the drums slipped on with no room to spare. on went the last two wheels, they are temporary for the build, needless to say, I will acquire original style rims when the time comes.
View attachment 505051
the replacement pipes are easy to bend to shape without kinking, so I'm told.
View attachment 505053

Only had the first pic in view, and wondered why you were using a huge paper-clip

Origional engine ? or a Rover V8 ??
its RHD was it exported to Poland
Original Triumph 3L PI V8 - the car is a (late) Mk II, RHD and sitting outside a villa in Portugal...

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Original Triumph 3L PI V8 - the car is a (late) Mk II, RHD and sitting outside a villa in Portugal...
well worth purchasing, stags with origional engines are very rare, they were problematic, nowadays easily sorted, makes a hell of a difference to its value
rust may still be a problem, but everything is available for them and probably to a better standard than when new
Rimmer Bros stock pretty much everything

well worth purchasing, stags with origional engines are very rare, they were problematic, nowadays easily sorted, makes a hell of a difference to its value
rust may still be a problem, but everything is available for them and probably to a better standard than when new
Rimmer Bros stock pretty much everything
Just the thorny problem of fitting it into the hold baggage...

Found this today - 46 years old....

View attachment 505119
In a bit of a state but only 68K on the clock..

View attachment 505122

Back when I was a young plod there used to be a milf mother who collected her kids from the local private school in, at the time, a new one of those. We used to go and sit outside the school in our Panda cars to letch at the mummys make sure everyone was safe.

Didn't they have a gearbox issue back in the day?

I'm a bit late with this advice, but wire wool is brilliant for cleaning cast aluminium - I used it on a couple of Alfa Romeo gearboxes a few year ago and was amazed at how easy it was to get good results

Blasting with ground walnut shell media works a treat on ally.

If you have a compressor, but no blaster there are plenty of DIY vids on yoootooob.

Back when I was a young plod there used to be a milf mother who collected her kids from the local private school in, at the time, a new one of those. We used to go and sit outside the school in our Panda cars to letch at the mummys make sure everyone was safe.

Didn't they have a gearbox issue back in the day?
I used to drive an automatic one and never had any troubles. This is a manual - but Triumph Snags had issues in the original V8, quality issues, BL, 1970s, par for the course.

held up from Beetle work as Mrs Sprocket wanted a hedgehog house built to help stop the decline in numbers, just doing my little bit to save another dis- Appearing piece of Natural Britain.
hedgehog house ext.png

the first pipe bent to shape and connected to the master cylinder, you can bend the pipe between your thumb and forefinger.
fitting brake pipe first pipe shaped gv.png

gromits to be put into boiling water before being pushed into placee, once the paint has gone off from the new pipe hole.
fitting brake pipe first pipe grommitt.png

the tube goes through the rear bulkhead and connects to the brass union piece at the bottom of the picture, it's in need of a cleanup.
fitting brake pipe first pipe shaped rear.png

cleaned up, the pipe needs a curve up over the torsion bar tube to take out some slack in the length of the pipe.
brass union cleaned up.png

The car, or the parts?
The car....

I suppose you could:

A. Hire a trailer and ferry/drive or,
B. Recovery truck and fly or,
C. Recovery truck, container and ship by LOLO

I think (A) would probably be the cheapest (and most enjoyable!)

Worth it for a Series 1 E Type, perhaps not so much for a knackered old Stag. Besides, I drive an MG, WTF am I thinking!

I used to drive an automatic one and never had any troubles. This is a manual - but Triumph Snags had issues in the original V8, quality issues, BL, 1970s, par for the course.
I always thought the biggest problem was the aluminium head, and people not realising and using for then ordinary anti freeze causing radiator blockage and overheating.

I always thought the biggest problem was the aluminium head, and people not realising and using for then ordinary anti freeze causing radiator blockage and overheating.
Other issues included (!) the heads not being cleaned properly and casting grits blocking waterways...or worse still working loose. Fecking unforgivable. My Dad, a GP, had a business partner who bought one new, and from distant recall had two warranty engines.

The car....

I suppose you could:

A. Hire a trailer and ferry/drive or,
B. Recovery truck and fly or,
C. Recovery truck, container and ship by LOLO

I think (A) would probably be the cheapest (and most enjoyable!)

Worth it for a Series 1 E Type, perhaps not so much for a knackered old Stag. Besides, I drive an MG, WTF am I thinking!

Sensible? When has that ever been a factor?

If I was there I'd offer to co-drive, though I'm sure you would not be short of volunteers if you asked on here.

Bubbles, bring back a restoration project and get it on the road..... Never, he's still not pulled his finger out building his Mark one Chieftain from the stash. Getting him off the sofa would be the biggest restoration since Charles the 2nd was returned to the Crown.

The brake pipe bent to shape using a socket of the right size to make the curve not touch the bodywork, the vibration will wear it through and cause a leak, resulting in Screech, Horn, scream, bang, crunch, siren, bleep bleep buuzzzzz, it's been 20 minutes everyone I'm calling it at 2330hrs.
So I want to get the brakes working safely, not that easy.
brass union re shapeed.png

especially as the second longest length isn't long enough to reach the bracket where it joins the flexible brake line, so either I purchase a longer flexible line, or stretch the pipe to fit.
brass union gv.png

Understatement.

Of.

The.

Year.

My old man bought one of the very first models, in 1971 I think, for my mum. After years of frustration with the thing very rarely spending more than six weeks out of the workshop and as it was slowly disintegrating into rust anyway he just stripped the engine out and stuck in one from a Triumph 2000 and gave the car to my brother as a runaround.

Latest Threads