Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

from Old English White to green moss and rust

at the tip of the nose cone, the link between the gearbox and gear shift linkage. That needs a wire secured fixing.
gearbox linkup.png

the original link looked like this.
gearbox coupling to be undone.png

Oyibo

LE
on with the gearbox/transmission re fitting, light enough to be lifted single handed, bulky enough to get me breathing heavy. Back in general position on top of the engine support arms.
View attachment 502889
the nose cone rubber boot was a mystery,here's the old and new
View attachment 502890
it has a outer flange suggesting it fits from inside the hole, but it's too large, even after being softened up in hot water, so on it went on the outside of the hole on the actual nose cone, when the gearbox is pushed forward into place it seals up ok.
View attachment 502891
tail end rubber blocks bolted up fine
View attachment 502892

I'm a bit late with this advice, but wire wool is brilliant for cleaning cast aluminium - I used it on a couple of Alfa Romeo gearboxes a few year ago and was amazed at how easy it was to get good results

the rear axles needed to be spun around to their correct positions, then bolted up.
axle ends bolted on.png

the stamped marks on the axle and torsion bar plate line up ok, so I know it's in it's correct location.
marks stamped on axle end re lined up.png

Last edited:
the earth strap bolted up underneath the gearbox, it's designed to be accessed easily from underneath, on a car hoist, but I'm not averse to getting down and under. Next up, building the two rear brake stations, first the backing plates and slave cylinders.
brake parts backplate and new cylinder.png

the adjusters up next. It really feels like I'm moving forward at a noticeably faster pace
adjusters rweady to go.png

the brand new Master Cylinder arrived from ABS this morning, look at the finish on that.
brand new master brake cylinder in gloss finish.png

Chris Vallone of Classic Beetles mentioned that he finishes his master cylinders with clear coat to keep off the flash rust, none of that for me.
brand new master brake cylinder in gloss finish cl.png

small original parts refreshing, once they've come out of the electrolysis process and spent the night soaking in rust killer, (my local Halfords ran out of stock of Krust)
original beetle parts cleaned up ready for paint.png

they are given a spray of grey primer, then gloss black from an air can.
original beetle parts painted in grey primer.png

original beetle parts painted in gloss black paint.png

the rear access cover plate is given a coat of gloss black and left to hang out for the paint to harden off.
cover plate left handing.png

this is the right hand side handbrake cable guide that attaches to the brake backing plate. £10 to replace one of these. I placed a page of newspaper behind it here and gave it a final quick spray, just to cover anything not reached while it was sat on the wood block.
handbrake guide hanging.png

the clutch cable guide bracket, that bolts onto the gearbox, painting small parts like this with a brush would be ineffective. so spraying and hanging is the way I'm going.
clutch guide bracket hanging.png

the wingnut that tightens the clutch cable was rusty and unpleasant to look at. a coffee stick held in the vice and it's good for another spray coat, i'll pass a tap through that to clear the threads of paint later.
wingnut black.png

not as much patients as I was expecting, I just needed help from Cameron, my daughters other half, to gently guide the cable out from the gearbox end until I could feel the connector pass the tube that holds the accelerator bar. then I could grab it and pull it all the way out from the front. Feeding the new one back through was easy. here it is joined to the butterfly nut, the connector was easy to place on the pedal tube lug. Very pleased with this.
new cable fitted to wingnut.png

Got most of the right rear brake parts on, just need to double check how the handbrake cable is attached, I'm sure I have too much cable spring coming into the backing plate, an easy fix, when I know how it fits together properly.
new hardware fitted rear right brakes.png

going back in time, to the image of how it was before I took it apart. Excellent chance for comparison. Right then, better take it all apart again. Missed off the bearing caps and the rearmost shoe is upside down.
brake parts light.png

Last edited:

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
its a wonderful piece of design the VW
the layout of all the parts slows smoothly
must be a german thing
my car looks like a load of old iron thrown together on a brass bedstead

Got most of the right rear brake parts on, just need to double check how the handbrake cable is attached, I'm sure I have too much cable spring coming into the backing plate, an easy fix, when I know how it fits together properly.
View attachment 503684
going back in time, to the image of how it was before I took it apart. Excellent chance for comparison. Right then, better take it all apart again. Missed off the bearing caps and the rearmost shoe is upside down.
View attachment 503685
Don’t know where you get your black paint from, it’s just that I get my black gloss/satin from Home Bargins, cheap as chips and under two quid a can.

got the shoes back off and the hub capping bolted back on, refitted the shoes, but the handbrake needs adjusting so I can get the drum on it.
refitted rear right brake shoes.png

the holes in the left side of the napoleon welded up and painted black. The clutch and now the accelerator cables fitted to the peddles, though the engine end of the throttle cable is just handing loose awaiting the engine. Now to fit the brake master cylinder.
time to fit the new master cylinder.png

It's in! but frustrating, the right hole needed adjusting to get the bolts to line up,
master cylinder fitted cu.png

had to elongate it, still, got there in the end and there's no way that is moving.
master cylinder fitted.png

The newly painted clutch cable bracket bolted to the gearbox, this holds the cable in a gradual curve, but it still needs that exit grommet to stop the cable chafing as it leaves the tube.
clutch cable in need of a exit grommit.png

the chassis is in the throes of final detail work, including the brake pipes and all the grommets.
gv in need of some detail work.png

chris Vallone is a great help here, his informative you tube videos are a great Source of information.

after adjusting the handbrake bar the drums slipped on with no room to spare. on went the last two wheels, they are temporary for the build, needless to say, I will acquire original style rims when the time comes.
four wheels back on.png

the replacement pipes are easy to bend to shape without kinking, so I'm told.
steel pipes on the desk.png

Latest Threads