from Old English White to green moss and rust

KnockKnock

Old-Salt
Whats happened on this site, two months ago I could load a pic from 'my photos'? Now a pic from file of photos taken at the same time as before come up as, 'Opps a problem'.....'file too large', so sorry I can't join in today with another post with pic?

@SPROCKET321 you've made a lot of progress since getting mickey in December....

when it getting MOT'd ?
MOT, ages yet, I'm in no rush, I'm enjoying the rebuild, even though I know the new wiring loom, looms on the distant horizon. So a quick reality check, see where I'm at....
cleaned and painted bearing arms.png

1. rotate the chassis and finish sealing the floor.
2. rotate it upright and rebuild the front suspension with new ball joints.
3. replace cleaned up gearbox and swing axles.
4. refit brake lines, refit peddles.
5. refit brake shoes, drums ect and bleed brakes.
6. check and fit hand brake and cables.
7. peddle assembly and test and adjust.
8. the Engine, stand and stare at it for a while.....

inverted the chassis, now to seal up the bottom of the floor where it joins the tunnel. Make it all nice and neat under there.
underside a.png

clean and paint the bottom of the bearing arms
underside b.png

still some welding needed here, to seal it all from road wet and dirt
underside c.png

today was my lazy day, went for a five miles run and dossed most of the day reading the Dirty Dozen and drinking pints of cool, clear, water,but managed to clean and paint the bottom of the arms so they now look clean and presentable, unlike my floor!
blacked up arms.png

Truxx

LE
in the meantime an amazing workshop time lapse video with great sound to keep your mech soul up and pumped
Spotter mode on

That's a "stovebolt" chevvy
One of those amazing yank engines that first appears in the 1920s and is still going into vehicles in the 70s. In fact it became the Bedford 28hp engine as fitted to Bedford RLs andGreen Godesses.

Spotter mode off

Sprocket, I truly await every update! BZ (as we say in the RN) to you!
thank you very much, it's great to know it's worth the effort posting. But it's as much help to me, it regulates and helps me rationalize the process, a bit like talking to myself, but unashamedly with people watching.

Today was rather warm, I just removed the end caps to the rear torsion bars, the caps are shot. New one's on order, pair for £16.00
ends caps off.png

but under neath wasn't bad, just surface rust. That will clean up ok.
end caps off.png

I freed up seven of the bolts then....
end caps seven bolts.png

crack! some drilling and picking out to come.
end cap sheared off bolt.png

the underside of the floor getting there, just that strip at the frame head to weld in and I can rotate the whole lot upright and start rebuilding.
gloss black all over.png

JuniorBod

War Hero
@SPROCKET321, is it not time to amend the thread title, as you are certainly more From green moss and rust to Old English White nowadays...

Fascinating thread, I wish I had your skills...

JB

Last edited:
@SPROCKET321, is it not time to amend the thread title, as you are certainly more From green moss and rust to Old English White nowadays...

Fascinating thread, I wish I had your skills...

JB
thanks JB, i could edit the title to VW Beetle Restoration step by step I guess, but the first images of the Moggie going all mossy would be out of place, anyway, eveyone knows it's title now. BZ =WELL DONE, it's a flags thing. England Expects... you know the drill.

BZ???

For us non nautical types, doncha know....

JB
It is a flag signal, flown from a yard-arm, flag Bravo over flag Zulu and means #well done'. Now used in Jackspeak as BZ mate etc

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ICS Bravo.svg
ICS Zulu.svg
The flag hoist "Bravo Zulu"
The combination of the Bravo and Zulu nautical signal flags, i.e., Bravo Zulu, also referred to as "BZ," is a naval signal, typically conveyed by flaghoist or voice radio, meaning "Well Done" with regard to actions, operations or performance. In addition to the British Royal Navy, it has also been used as part of vernacular slang within NATO and other Allied naval forces. It can be combined with the "negative" signal, spoken or written as NEGAT, to say "NEGAT Bravo Zulu" to convey "not well done" for a given action.
"BZ" is widely used as shorthand vernacular amongst members of the sea services. In the Royal Navy, when the sovereign wishes to reward the crew of a British warship with the order to "splice the mainbrace,"[clarification needed] it is ordinarily followed simply with Bravo Zulu.

final hole in the belly welded up, second coat of hard wearing black paint on the whole of the underside of the floor done, this heat wave is causing a short paint drying time, just enough to brush it smooth before it starts to go off.
last weld on floor done, second coat of black.png

the paint here is Hammerite garage door paint, I've got great confidence in it, I painted the underside of my Pickup during it's restoration in 2009, and it's still going strong with no sign of problems.
Alice with a sherman.jpg

Back to the Hitler car, and the snapped off bolt is giving me agro. I've spent quite a time drilling this Bustad out, and it's still got a long way to go. I may put a smaller bolt in there and use washers, it only holds the cap on the end, but them being so large makes me wonder if I'm wrong using one smaller one.
hole drilled through.png

son of a byatch
hole drilled through cu.png

box of new parts arrived today.
New box of goodies  A.png

the Heritage center are having supply problems due to the pandemic. so I only got half of what I wanted, the ball joint and anti roll bar kit will arrive later.
don't remember Moggie one's having these elaborate blue plastic protection covers. bit of a waste as the parts come inside a box.
New box of goodies  b.png

they are nice and new though.
New box of goodies e.png

the end covers for the rear torsion bars, new and ready to fit, no internal rubber doughnuts included though. Here is one in comparison with the old.
cap comparison old and new.png

I placed the original doughnuts in the ultra sonic cleaner for 40 seconds in total.
cleaning washing the doughnuts.png

the dirt isn't so much removed as loosened up.
cleaning washing the doughnuts bn.png

and here they both are after a scrub in warm soapey water, ready for another 40 years service.
doughnuts and rusted cap.png

anglo

LE
final hole in the belly welded up, second coat of hard wearing black paint on the whole of the underside of the floor done, this heat wave is causing a short paint drying time, just enough to brush it smooth before it starts to go off.
View attachment 496232
the paint here is Hammerite garage door paint, I've got great confidence in it, I painted the underside of my Pickup during it's restoration in 2009, and it's still going strong with no sign of problems.
View attachment 496233
Lovely Pickup, When I was into restoring, I couldn't get one to do up, for love nor money.

Lovely Pickup, When I was into restoring, I couldn't get one to do up, for love nor money.
Cheers Anglo, I'd better keep hold of the old lady in that case, mind you it was a mess when I recovered it, three years of work later she was up on the ramp passing her MOT.
pickup day one.jpg