from Old English White to green moss and rust

cheers Mogreby, always glad to hear someone is enjoying this re-build.

the edges of the right side floor pan is drilled ready for spot welding
drilling floor pan flange holes.png

cutting off the left side rust holed pan in sections, this makes them smaller and easier to cut and handle.
cutting out left floor half a.png

the right pan drilled and test fitted ready to be spot welded in.
right floor pan half drilled test fitted a.png

the 8mm drill holes, large enough to take a spot weld.
right floor pan half drilled test fitted b.png

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
you have inspired me to get on with mine
but the bloody scaffold is still here
put up in February, only going to be three months !!
i guessed August before its gone
sherman tankers
never mind the Robot is getting the attention at the moment

Been reading this thread today, a very enjoyable read, your beetle seems to have rusted in all the same places as mine,
looking at the floorpan photos, did you keep the heavier metal plate that sits beneath the pedals, its needed,
guess who didn't, search for an old one in the back of the shed,
What's the lower framehead like in yours, it's the area underneath the chassis behind the front torsion bars,
Mine had some pinholes I was able to weld up

Very enjoyable/informative thread.
But being a pedantic C%Nt. I must point out that what you have done with the floorpan is plug weld, not spotweld.
I told you I was a pedantic C%nt.

Very enjoyable/informative thread.
But being a pedantic C%Nt. I must point out that what you have done with the floorpan is plug weld, not spotweld.
I told you I was a pedantic C%nt.
thanks for the correction, so with plug welding do you build up a pool in centre or weld across the centre from one side of the diameter to the other?

Been reading this thread today, a very enjoyable read, your beetle seems to have rusted in all the same places as mine,
looking at the floorpan photos, did you keep the heavier metal plate that sits beneath the pedals, its needed,
guess who didn't, search for an old one in the back of the shed,
What's the lower framehead like in yours, it's the area underneath the chassis behind the front torsion bars,
Mine had some pinholes I was able to weld up
thanks yes I saved it as it's not on the new floor pans. The frame head is rough at the lower edges, and needs some repair work.
pedal plate rusty.png

thanks for the correction, so with plug welding do you build up a pool in centre or weld across the centre from one side of the diameter to the other?
I start in the centre and work outwards, that way you get good penetration when you hit the new panel. Sort of a spiral motion.

amazing to see a little UTE in the States, I know the history of post war rules about steel quotas directly linked to exports, but it's great that some have survived.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
A traveller up for sale stateside, but its been a bit overdone on the inside

Slime

LE
I’m glad someone else said that first :)
I obviously knew what you meant, but the idea of drilling out metal for ‘spot welding’ was still amusing :)

When I use my stick welder for jobs like that I often use a ‘special‘ technique.
I fill the hole with weld...........then blow a new hole in the base metal :)

JuniorBod

War Hero
When I use my stick welder for jobs like that I often use a ‘special‘ technique.
I fill the hole with weld...........then blow a new hole in the base metal :)
Speshull rules allowed when your trying to snotter a weld on to a bed of rust...

Then you fill the blow with more weld...;)

JB

using a cold chisel to peel back the remaining edge of the left side rusted out, cut off floor pan, there should only be one layer of metal, but there's two.
cold chisel back the flange.png

getting down and dirty, expecting her to have a thin flange and I find that I'm not the first to have been here....... now what was her name?
cold chisel back the flange b.png

trial fit of the left side floor pan.
trial fit of left floor pan.png

problem here, the rear body support is not in line
trial fit of left floor pan back edge.png

the front edge is a tight fit, need to slice off a few mil with a cutting disc to draw that forward.
trial fit of left floor pan front edge.png

to get access to the rusted out base of the frame head it was necessary to flip the chassis over onto its side, resting on the right side wheels, the left side wheels removed to reduce weight and change the center of gravity with it up like this.
Chassis flipped a.png

you're probably thinking why not flip it the other way, so the light from the windows lights up the underside where I most need to work.
Chassis flipped b.png

space constraints, that's the reason, anyway I have room to work on the bottom of the chassis now.
Chassis flipped f.png

Latest Threads