from Old English White to green moss and rust

next area up for repair is here in the inner rear wheel arch.
rear nearside arch rust holes.png

the plate welded onto the inner arch includes the body mount, so it's exact location is crucial.
rusted out rear neasrside wheel arch.png

the plate has most areas of strong unrusted steel, so I want to keep most of it and not loose the exact position of the body mount.

so the task is to turn this flat steel plate.
flat plate.png

into this complex curved dome that has rusted right through, fixing, rather than replacing this area will save me £56 from the restoration budget, and save the exact position of the mount.
rear nearside arch rust hole close up.png

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
the plate has most areas of strong unrusted steel, so I want to keep most of it and not loose the exact position of the body mount.

so the task is to turn this flat steel plate.
View attachment 479131

into this complex curved dome that has rusted right through, fixing, rather than replacing this area will save me £56 from the restoration budget, and save the exact position of the mount.
View attachment 479130
have you got a leather sand filled bag for forming ?
dead useful they are

cut out, back as far as good rustless steel will allow.
rear nearside arch rust hole cut out.png

the cut out piece ready to make a pattern out of cardboard.
rear nearside arch rust hole cut out on card.png

the plate wire wheeled off to confirm the extent of the rust damage.
rear nearside arch rustless hole wire wheeled off b  .png

hammer, vice and dolly work, trying to get it as close to the rusted out piece as I can.
repair dome forming b.png

welding up the bend relief slots in the under cut
welded up bend relief slots.png

offering up the part for test fit.
dome formed and offered up for fit.png

clamped hard up against the cut edges
dome clamped into position.png

finally welded up into position. Pleased with that, now to deal with the other holes in the plate around the body mount.
dome welded on. bpng.png

mask, goggles and ear defenders donned for cleaning up the rusty under side, this may take several goes....
cleaning up under the rear body d.png

with the plate all welded up and cleaned off. looks so much simpler when it's all one colour. If I were to show someone the results of three days work, they'd say..... where?
inner wheel arch painted black.png

on the other side of the wheel-arch, inside the car, the rust hole welded up and given a swipe of easy sand to level it all out. Next hole, that one at the back

inside the whel arch interior hole welded up and filled.png

Old chap my way has a plethora of British cars on his acreage.
This for $750

Screenshot_20200606-105849.png

Screenshot_20200606-110142.png

Interior and engine bay/engine are intact, and in fairly good shape.

Last edited:
just to give an idea as to how affordable doing up a 1972 VW Beetle is, I purchased two complete floor halves to replace the rusted out ones on the chassis, (I'll be getting on with that in due course) £67 a side, and free post. from the VW Heritage centre. I wonder what you'd pay for the same parts for a Daimler/jag. Nice car though.
new floor pan half in the garage.png

just to give an idea as to how affordable doing up a 1972 VW Beetle is, I purchased two complete floor halves to replace the rusted out ones on the chassis, (I'll be getting on with that in due course) £67 a side, and free post. from the VW Heritage centre. I wonder what you'd pay for the same parts for a Daimler/jag. Nice car though.
View attachment 479975
Outstanding price, love what you are doing.
Apologies for jumping on your thread
My work involves lots of rural travel, yesterday I passed a Beetle (split screen) in the Kananaskis foothills yesterday with a for sale sign.

turning the body around on it's casters brings the rear right wheel arch available for inspection, and work.
general view of rough plate.png

a closer view shows holes, holes and holes, as Burton said in Where Eagles dare, a hole is a hole is a hole.
crack in p;ate.png

until you get the Mig welder on the job, here is the first one tac welded in
tac welded in triangle.png

the plate itself welded in nice and strong, but the metal behind it is rather thin and pitted, so out it came. Cut out nice and clean with a, reduced in size, cutting disc.
cut away from interior.png

the area here is made up from separate layers of sheet metal.
cut away from ext.png

offered up, the first piece from outside
cut away ext new metal offered up.png

Latest Threads