from Old English White to green moss and rust

I'll be fitting this rear inner wing and bumper support next, blasted bh weekend getting in the way of ordering parts.
111809407a_1.jpg

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I had a look inside my car today
the tax has expired !! and I have some visitors
as you can see corrosion is a real problem !!
IMG_20200327_144940.jpg
IMG_20200327_145000.jpg
IMG_20200327_145030.jpg
IMG_20200327_145043.jpg

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
you've managed to clear some space around it at last, looking at your rust holes I see you have some fun and games ahead, get the first one welded up and the satisfaction will see you through the others.
Got a few others
inner sills a bit crabby, I could let sections but as I have a set of O/E outer sills I will replace both
bottom of front wings needs replacing and the brace under the radiatior
then the ends of the rear wings and a few other small bits
when Grenfell next door is finished I am ready to start cutting and welding
I just made a list of repair panels and will order them in bulk as they are made to order
be nice to see some progress

New tail section going in...View attachment 463846
I've ordered the whole rear section just like the one above, works out a lot cheaper than buying the five components that make it up, made and assembled in Brazil by all accounts, will need extra spot welds and some adjustment here and there, but I'm used to that, should arrive in two to three days.

LARD

LE
and the Mighty Antar behind the car.....

and the Mighty Antar behind the car.....
well spotted, that would easily transport the Sherman.

A few days to wait for the rear clip to arrive, I can't make a start marking that out until I have it here to take measurements from. So the rear scuttle panel repairs can be done in the meantime.
rear scuttle panel.png

there is rusted out areas both sides that need new metal letting in.
repair to rear scuttle.png

the left side in close up, now I've sanded the paint and rust back to see the extent of it, I now need to mark that out to make a card template.
rusted out section of rear scuttle left side.png

the right side needs sanding back too, but that is less extensive.
rusted out section of rear scuttle right side.png

Truxx

LE
tell us about the Sherman tank in the backgroung, covered by a tarp, yours?
Not a sherman....have another go....

Spent the afternoon taking the tracks off the bastard this afternoon.

Not a one man job that one but they are off and I am a God amongst mortals.

Last edited:

Truxx

LE
well spotted, that would easily transport the Sherman.

A few days to wait for the rear clip to arrive, I can't make a start marking that out until I have it here to take measurements from. So the rear scuttle panel repairs can be done in the meantime.
View attachment 465511
there is rusted out areas both sides that need new metal letting in.
View attachment 465512
the left side in close up, now I've sanded the paint and rust back to see the extent of it, I now need to mark that out to make a card template.
View attachment 465515
the right side needs sanding back too, but that is less extensive.
View attachment 465516
When you get the tail bit watch out. On the one I put in the nearside was much shorter than the offside. Also it looks like the join will be vertical. But it isn't.

As an aside, I have been watching a YouTube channel called "Mustie1", a chap in the states who works on beetles and other stuff.
Enjoyable to watch during the lockdown but the point is that he uses chainsaw oil to rustproof his vehicles. It doesn't completely dry and it works its way into the crevices.
Could be handy.

Truxx

LE
As an aside, I have been watching a YouTube channel called "Mustie1", a chap in the states who works on beetles and other stuff.
Enjoyable to watch during the lockdown but the point is that he uses chainsaw oil to rustproof his vehicles. It doesn't completely dry and it works its way into the crevices.
Could be handy.
The downside of dintrol waxoil etc is that if you ever have to have at it with a welder it can get a bit sporty.sun

still as long as you know it is there you can take the appropriate steps.