from Old English White to green moss and rust

Here in West Sussex an old Morris Minor Tourer sites patiently awaiting it's owner, the owner placed the car with a garage company with a suggestion of how much he was willing to pay for them to do a restoration on it, they have found the torsion bar bolts have been plated over in a previous botch job and replied to him that his suggestion was too low, way too low, I don't know the figures, as they are between the company and the owner....
sad moggy.jpg

the owner went away to think about it and several years later, the garage can't contact him.
so the car sits and waits, Ive been keeping an eye on the car, and an ear in with the company who are next to a vehicle recovery yard I sometimes do forensic work in.
Ive left my contact details with them because they don't feel disposed to pass their customer's telephone number to me. so she will sit and wait, year after year.....
IMG_4158[1].jpg

I wonder, if I applied to the DVLA for the V5, I'd be honest, about the circumstances. I wonder what their policy is?
IMG_4159[1].jpg

IMG_4161[1].jpg

I could do it justice and restore it myself.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
I'd say that's beyond saving at this point. Depending on how long it's been there the reg may well now be declared void by DVLA, if it hasn't you can apply in writing for the owners details I believe.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
A couple of things worth thinking about
the reg plate looks like 334 BXI
possibly an irish reg plate, meaning the origional valuable reg has been sold on and now graces some tacky all wheel drive vehicle

secondly, it may not have started life as a tourer, it could well be a converted 2 doors saloon, hundreds were converted with kits, but it means its worth far less

buy it if you can, but for 500 pounds or less
its not worth more
without the body repairs, you have an engine rebuild including all the ancillaries, started motor dynamo, control box water pump, radiator and heater unto and hoses
new brake master cylinder, the thing is under the floor
all new brake pipes and flexible hoses
6 new wheel cylinders
new brake shoes and possibly a set of four drums
wheel bearings ( seized and corroded)
instruments to rebuild after water damage
gearbox overhaul and back axle and prop shaft
trim and upholstery
a new wiring harness
anything less and it ill be a dangerous old heap

budget 10 to 12 grand to do all of the work including bodywork

or buy one that is origional, has its origional plate and provenance, or a worn one thats running and invest money in it

ps storage charges must have mounted up on it, they would be well within their rights to dispose of the car, but be careful about buying it, spending money on it and then having the ex owner claim you stole his car from him

Nearly thirty years ago (god I am old), my boss had three split screen moggies.
He told me to strip them right down and cover them in axle grease.
All were resprayed prior to the greasing to a high standard and carted off somewhere.
He told me they were his pension, I sometimes wonder if they are still around.

A couple of things worth thinking about
the reg plate looks like 334 BXI
possibly an irish reg plate, meaning the origional valuable reg has been sold on and now graces some tacky all wheel drive vehicle

secondly, it may not have started life as a tourer, it could well be a converted 2 doors saloon, hundreds were converted with kits, but it means its worth far less

buy it if you can, but for 500 pounds or less
its not worth more
without the body repairs, you have an engine rebuild including all the ancillaries, started motor dynamo, control box water pump, radiator and heater unto and hoses
new brake master cylinder, the thing is under the floor
all new brake pipes and flexible hoses
6 new wheel cylinders
new brake shoes and possibly a set of four drums
wheel bearings ( seized and corroded)
instruments to rebuild after water damage
gearbox overhaul and back axle and prop shaft
trim and upholstery
a new wiring harness
anything less and it ill be a dangerous old heap

budget 10 to 12 grand to do all of the work including bodywork

or buy one that is origional, has its origional plate and provenance, or a worn one thats running and invest money in it

ps storage charges must have mounted up on it, they would be well within their rights to dispose of the car, but be careful about buying it, spending money on it and then having the ex owner claim you stole his car from him

cheers Josh, It's a project I'm looking for, I finished the restoration on my Pickup, and miss getting my hands on some rust and dirt and the satisfaction of putting a wreck back on the road in displayable condition. You are right about the worry of him coming back from the dead and wanting his car back.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
cheers Josh, It's a project I'm looking for, I finished the restoration on my Pickup, and miss getting my hands on some rust and dirt and the satisfaction of putting a wreck back on the road in displayable condition. You are right about the worry of him coming back from the dead and wanting his car back.
had a relative who purchased a motorcycle, pretty much wrecked, a Triumph 3TA
left with a garage for 7 years and never collected or bills paid
when the garage closed he bought it at the auction, of course a few years later at a motorbike show, some idiot comes up wanting his dads pride and joy back, and telling all and sundry how his dad had treasured it and kept it maintained to perfection

Lucky I was there and put the idiot right, my Daughter works for the Auctioneer who disposed of everything, so accurate records were kept, and I pointed out that the Auctioneers would have pictures still showing the heap
and any more mouth and I would be a witness for a court action

if the price is right go for it
with your eyes wide open

Another option is this beetle, this time I do know who the owner is, we haven't agreed on a price yet, Ive not made up my mind yet, fixing a price also fixes you into commitment to buy, recover and heave it into my new shed workshop and start a teardown, tempted? yes.
beetle a.jpg

the owner had it as a donor vehicle, for the "thing" to the right, it has an ugly fibreglas bonnet, and fibreglass front wings, the moulds for the fibreglass front wings are over there under that moss and ivy, he said, and they can bloody well stay there an all.
IMG_4134[1].jpg

the Bug is without doubt a rust heap. a total strip down and start from parts project.
rusty nearside.jpg

the bonnet is unsavable
bonnet hinges fail.jpg

the interior drivers floor, surprised it's got one to be honest...
floor a.jpg

I would hve a good poke around underneath.
The doors, wings,1/4 panels ETC can look very good. But you can unearth all sorts of horrors when you get it up on a ramp.

not exactly a Californian rust patina car is it, British weather, death for old abandoned classic cars...
IMG_4136[1].jpg

IMG_4140[1].jpg

I would hve a good poke around underneath.
The doors, wings,1/4 panels ETC can look very good. But you can unearth all sorts of horrors when you get it up on a ramp.
good advice, there's enough rust to satisfy even my craving for an old rust bucket
interior front.jpg

floor behind front pax seat.jpg

IMG_4143[1].jpg

not into Fiats, but as I was there, I may as well add them into the mix.....
IMG_4162[1].jpg

rear of fiat.jpg

IMG_4165[1].jpg

the sun roof is open to the weather, so I placed the camera into the gap and took this...
IMG_4168[1].jpg

The thing is, is where there is muck theirs brass.
If you have the space ,time or inclination to scrap it and put all the component parts on EBAY then you could make a tidy profit.
If you got it for the right price of course.

I offered to buy a TR4 from Lee Noble, he had taken it on as a resto project on behalf of the owner. He stripped it, did the bodywork and had a mate re-spray it, prior to starting the mechanicals. Four years later the freshly sprayed body still sat under a tarp awaiting the somewhat overdue stage payment from the owner.

Lee had moved on developing his own car and left the TR sitting, I was not allowed to buy the TR either due to some legalities which I think revolved around Lee having to file papers in the small claims court and receive it in compensation for time and materials - you can't just take ownership. But I did have a couple of cabby's of the new Noble M12 GTO (before Clarkson, Needell and the Stig) around the leafy lanes surrounding Hinckley - that in itself was an Uber Stonking experience.

Last edited:

Latest Threads