From Matthew

The_Duke

LE
MOD comment:

Lots of posts deleted. If it included one (or some) of yours, this could be down to one of two reasons:

1. You are a moron who cannot follow simple site rules.

2. You are stupid enough to quote a post made under reason 1.

Neither of those are good. A nice break from the site from here on in for Epsilons unable to follow the rules. I am bored with warning the same permasending halfwits.

pitcairn

Old-Salt
Matthew, you have been given some good advice here. Work hard at school to improve your chances in the future. The Army is not going to take on some one with no ambition to make himself better. Whatever you decide to do all the best.

Some of you boys are in trouble when grown-ups (one in particular comes to mind) see this thread. It's not the NAAFI and this is an impressionable young lad. Or a windup, but I suspect the former. Can't say he didn't warn you...
@The_Duke
I would hope then that if the OP is a sock, or any other sock posting in a serious forum with the intention of getting a bite or crayoning all over the thread, all of their accounts should receive the mightiest of ban-hammer smitings.

The_Duke

LE
@The_Duke
I would hope then that if the OP is a sock, or any other sock posting in a serious forum with the intention of getting a bite or crayoning all over the thread, all of their accounts should receive the mightiest of ban-hammer smitings.
Sure. If proven.

But it isn’t site users who decide whether someone posting on the recruiting forum is worthy of the rules being ignored.

@Matthew.
If you are still at school with a few years left to go then, as others have said, do your best to get as many good grade GCSEs as possible, particularly English and maths.

I appreciate that not everybody is academically gifted but do not aim low and think you'll easily walk into the army with no qualifications. Do your best to be the best you can be. Competition for jobs is difficult enough as it is and without decent qualifications you'll find yourself at the back of a very long queue.

Whether it is a job in the military or not, potential employers want to know that you are prepared to put the time and effort in to be the sort of person that makes it worth their while to employ.

Sure. If proven.

But it isn’t site users who decide whether someone posting on the recruiting forum is worthy of the rules being ignored.
I agree and had I wanted that responsibility I would have applied to be a moderator.

It's true that I am not in a position to make that decision but I am still able to express what I hold to be a valid opinion and as far as I am aware that opinion doesn't break any of the site rules.

The_Duke

LE
The rules for contribution to this part of the site are clearly stated, and enforced.

If the post isn’t accurate, current and helpful to the prospective recruit, it doesn’t belong on the recruiting board. Simple as that.

Chef

LE
I would say the advice given here is good, work hard get some qualifications, bearing in mind this is your last time for free education. Join the ACF/ATC/CCF as applicable or even the Scouts which will give you an idea of a disciplined way of life.

Even if your military plans come to naught all the above will improve the look of your CV whatever you choose to do in life.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Hello and thanks for the help. Can you tell me please what is the best guardiab regiment for someone lives in Wiltshire. That you can join with no gcses. Thank you!!
Do your best at school. I appreciate you’re 14, don’t write yourself off as being unable to get good exam results. Work hard, study well, being so young it’s very difficult to work out your future.

@Matthew.
If you are still at school with a few years left to go then, as others have said, do your best to get as many good grade GCSEs as possible, particularly English and maths.

I appreciate that not everybody is academically gifted but do not aim low and think you'll easily walk into the army with no qualifications. Do your best to be the best you can be. Competition for jobs is difficult enough as it is and without decent qualifications you'll find yourself at the back of a very long queue.

Whether it is a job in the military or not, potential employers want to know that you are prepared to put the time and effort in to be the sort of person that makes it worth their while to employ.
I know how things are now at school and, hey, I’m a lucky bluffer.
The GCSE thing makes kids take a broad approach, and not always for the best. I’ve always thought a determined approach at some may help. Get the grades for the army (without arguing, they can learn French later), get the job, get out of town (the best thing ever for some of these kids) into a better atmosphere. Work on the rest later.

As is my norm in these treads, its that time where the boring balding ageing pipes up and says 'always have one eye on leaving HMAF planning trade and courses as need be'

@Matthew. The other thing to consider is once you are in. It is now mandatory to have GCSE equivalents in numeracy and literacy (maths and english) for your 2nd promotion, that is, to corporal. The easiest and best way to get this is to get GCSEs.

As you get older, learning without these basics will just more and more difficult. I have had great soldiers under my command who I couldn't get promoted because they hadn't done the qualifications and despite the best we could do via both the Army system and a local college didn't pick it up.

Study. Study. Study. This is the most important thing for your next 2 years, work at it. If home is chaotic or difficult to study in for any reason (even mates coming round to get you out to play footy!), find somewhere to go study. For me it was the library near school.

@Matthew. Lots of good advice here which I won't repeat. If you decide to take it (or not) that is entirely up to you of course. What I will say is that education gives you choice in what you want to do. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Genuine question, No Wah
How does that work When Coldstream is up near the Scottish Border
From Wiki: 'The five regiments of foot guards recruit from their respective home nations (with the exception of the Coldstream Guards, which recruits from the counties through which the regiment marched between Coldstream and London).'

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
@ the OP. Coming from Wiltshire (South West of the country) the Coldstream Guards would be the traditional choice. Although these days, where you come from doesn’t tie you in to any particular Regiment.
Traditionally, the Coldstream recruit from the north east and Cornwall. Why? I don’t know. We had a massive Cornish Coldstreamer as RSM of New College in 1982. Proper old school he was. Name of Harris.

Edited to add something useful for OP. Work hard at school, get some GCSEs. Even the Guards can’t get away with ruler writing anymore.

This has to be a windup.

If not, then you're 14 (apparently) and so have 2 years of school left. You will either be starting or have just started your GCSE courses. Don't be an idiot, get your head down and do the work. Read things. Coursework is not optional and should not be left to the last minute and then bodged.

Read (it doesn't matter what providing it's not in textspeak). Your teachers will spend the next two years saying things like "I guarantee this will be on the exam. Learn this". Do learn it. Read stuff.

There will be parts of a subject you find easier than others. While your teachers will hate me saying this, concentrate on the bits you can do well. If you go into an exam knowing that you can do 30% of the topics that's a grade 3 in the bag on foundation / 5 in higher. Don't spend hours trying to understand trigonometry if you really don't get it but can do algebra instead.

Read stuff. Don't copy out notes for revision but do past exam questions / flash cards / online quizzes / anything that forces you to actually think rather than just copying stuff from one page to another.

Read books. Learn and memorise the minimum of what you need for the English (quotations) and Science (equations) exams. Ignore RS / General Studies, no one cares.

From the stage you are at I have seen students go from a predicted 8 to a 3 and a predicted 4 to a 9. The single biggest factor in all exam results is effort. You try harder = you do better. You would be an utter fool to close a lot of doors in your future because you don't need GCSEs now.

Did I mention you should read stuff? It's the single biggest thing you can do to raise your exam grades (apart from putting some effort in obviously).

Edit - I forgot, ask your teachers for help. While they might spend all day metaphorically calling you a little shit, I can guarantee they want you to do well. Someone will find time to explain things you don't get if you go and ask them. Ideally you'd time that for days they have meetings that they can get out of.

Edit again (after more beer) - you sound like you're aiming for zero GCSEs. Are you thick as mince or just anti-education? Misquoting someone from the old Educating Essex programme, once you leave school you will never have that many people wanting you to succeed again.

In a year you could be in the situation a lot of my students are in where they have thrown away Year 10, learnt the square root of fuckall and have an uphill struggle to get any sort of grade. Alternatively you could pay attention from the start, actually succeed and make something of your life. Your choice. Plus you should read something.

Last edited:
From Wiki: 'The five regiments of foot guards recruit from their respective home nations (with the exception of the Coldstream Guards, which recruits from the counties through which the regiment marched between Coldstream and London).'
Did they take the scenic route?

Golfer Gary Player when asked why he was always so lucky in winning tournaments: 'The more I practice, the luckier I get.'

OP.
The next 2 years have the potential to affect the rest of your life. Don't worry about the Army at the moment, it's not going to vanish anytime soon. Get your head down and study hard, try and get the best grades in your exams that you possibly can. You never know you might be able to go onto further education and be able to attend Sandhurst as a potential Officer.

I was a clever little know it all teenager, school was crap, I didn't need exams etc, spent time bunking off to go fishing, girls , generally acting the dick. Its bitten me right on the arse in later life. Education is EVERYTHING! Get stuck into it and don't let yourself be distracted by meaningless crap.

Latest Threads