From Dambusters to Damsavers ….

wheel

LE
I have been watching the steady deterioration of the Red Bull aqueduct that carries the Macclesfield canal over the A50. The leaks and shrubbery increase year on year. Its only a matter of time before it gives.

It will be an expensive job to repair that dam, I expect canal users will feel that impact.
The Wiki link in Dark_Nit's post indicates that the dam is to be replaced, rather than repaired, over the course of a few years.

Presumably this means that the canal can be topped up from other water sources. That suggests that the main purpose of the lake is as a leisure resource (fishing, boating) which not only raises money in its own right but sufficiently to justify substantial new works rather than just installing a new overflow channel that bypasses the dam.

The Wiki link in Dark_Nit's post indicates that the dam is to be replaced, rather than repaired, over the course of a few years.

Presumably this means that the canal can be topped up from other water sources. That suggests that the main purpose of the lake is as a leisure resource (fishing, boating) which not only raises money in its own right but sufficiently to justify substantial new works rather than just installing a new overflow channel that bypasses the dam.

C&RT appear to confirm that report on their own web-site.

Update: Thursday 8 August, 10.45am
Read our message from Allan Leighton, Canal & River Trust Chair and Richard Parry, Canal & River Trust Chief Executive........................................

Now that the reservoir has been emptied, our plans to keep it safe are in place and we start the work to plan how to repair and restore the dam. Much more information will follow from the Trust in the days ahead – for now, we just want to extend our thanks to all of you for the spirit and resolve you have shown.

Allan Leighton, Chair

Richard Parry, Chief Executive
As it is a SSSI, C&RT could possibly face massive fines if they let the reservoir stay empty and ruin the place for the fish, birds and bees. Restore or leave, either way it's going to cost them.

Canal and River Trust are obsessed with image and attracting visitors to the canals, even though it attracts no revenue. Actually maintaining structures is not what they are about anymore.

As an aside, there is an enclave of armed forces-hating hippies on boats on the western end of the Kennet and Avon canal, and another in London. As a boater myself, I have clashed with them on many occasions regarding their attitude. They seem very quiet about the stirling service that the Crabs have put into bunging up the dam.

Canal and River Trust are obsessed with image and attracting visitors to the canals, even though it attracts no revenue. Actually maintaining structures is not what they are about anymore...
Nothing new about that. BWB spent most of their existence running down and trying to close what you might now call the recreational canals. More recently they made their money by selling off waterside land and property - which of course you can only do once.

Nothing new about that. BWB spent most of their existence running down and trying to close what you might now call the recreational canals. More recently they made their money by selling off waterside land and property - which of course you can only do once.
Don't get me started on the Scottish & Newcastle pub chain buyout. Just when pub chains were in negative equity already. Always one bandwagon behind.

Latest Threads