From Dambusters to Damsavers ….

Why are the rozzers wearing stab vests with body cams and handcuffs, when the job is to hump & dump sandbags? Surely they could have left the hardware in the car. I don't see the squaddies wearing webbing.
Because the Army don't need stab vests with body cams and handcuffs to be ally.....

Corbyn pitched up at the scene today, to Be Concerned about the welfare of the locals. He's demanding an Inquiry now; ie a big table surrounded by a politically sound and socially aware group who can be trusted to blame the issue on Tory Cuts. Engineers will not be present.

Corbyn pitched up at the scene today, to Be Concerned about the welfare of the locals. He's demanding an Inquiry now; ie a big table surrounded by a politically sound and socially aware group who can be trusted to blame the issue on Tory Cuts. Engineers will not be present.
That's news to me. BBC reporter asked if there would be an inquiry. JC expected that there would be one but had no concerns about the excellent work and organisation he had seen. Unless you've seen him demand an inquiry on screen, maybe he did after the reporter suggested it, it sounds like the same editorial license misreporting by the media out to make political capital. I stand to be corrected but I thought that was very bad form by BBC, etc if it was a case of misreporting.

The structure is 'maintained' by Canal and River Trust (CaRT). If the maintenance of the structure is on a par with the maintenance of the canal network, someone will have some questions to answer.

GreyArea

War Hero
If it's so unsafe and liable to collapse at a moment's notice how come Steptoe was allowed to go walkabout along the top of it complete with press pack, flunkies and various other hangers on and ar*elickers from the local council and the Canal Trust?

That's news to me. BBC reporter asked if there would be an inquiry. JC expected that there would be one but had no concerns about the excellent work and organisation he had seen. Unless you've seen him demand an inquiry on screen, maybe he did after the reporter suggested it, it sounds like the same editorial license misreporting by the media out to make political capital. I stand to be corrected but I thought that was very bad form by BBC, etc if it was a case of misreporting.
Apologies for 'Mirror' reporting, but:

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn has said there must be an inquiry into the partial collapse of the Whaley Bridge dam.
Saluting the "incredible spirit" of the Whaley Bridge community, Mr Corbyn said the probe should focus on the "lessons to be learned" from the response which he praised.

(Would have referenced properly but the editing controls above are grey).

'PeakFM' quotes him saying:
"There has to be an inquiry to make sure the co-ordination worked effectively and everything I've seen shows it did."
So lets have a taxpayer-funded inquiry to show that ...er...

Last edited:

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn has said there must be an inquiry into the partial collapse of the Whaley Bridge dam.
Saluting the "incredible spirit" of the Whaley Bridge community, Mr Corbyn said the probe should focus on the "lessons to be learned" from the response which he praised.

"There has to be an inquiry to make sure the co-ordination worked effectively and everything I've seen shows it did."
Thanks. That's very similar to what I heard but it sounded like he was being asked if there would be an inquiry and his response was along the lines of that would be expected in these circumstances. I'm no fan of Corbyn but I'm sure the reporters were trying to get a political slant on it, after all there may be an election in a few months..

Anyone just see one of the locals on BBC bleating about the noise of the Chinooks.
Ooh it's all we ever hear now and it just gets louder.
******* drown then
Yep. She was on C4 too:

"Scary noise, cats and dogs scared too"

Has she never seen/heard aircraft before?

Cats & dogs copied their owners fear.

Our dogs ignore gunfire, fireworks and look up at Chinooks/aircraft then ignore.

imo Fake News - she's saying what BBC/C4 told her to say

I see some local residents, despite the cataclysm they may face, are really being cnutish and NOT leaving their homes.

From DM:
A 'small number' of 31 people who were initially evacuated have since returned to their homes in the Derbyshire town, during a brief period when police allowed them to do so to collect vital items, but then failed to come back outside the cordon.

Residents of 22 homes, thought to be a mix of those who have gone back to their properties and those who never left following the first evacuations on Thursday, are now refusing to leave despite police warning of a 'very high' threat to life.
Good stoic chaps rejecting hysterical msm and plod forecast of cataclysm

They've considered risk/reward and made an informed decision - good for them.

If there's an enquiry, it will look at similar dams. And find they're all at similar risk, no doubt. Like Grenfell. Other blocks clad similarly are at similar risk.

The bean counters will balance the cost of rebuilding the tower blocks against the cost of a once-in-X-years event like Grenfell. Same for the dams. Noting that no-one has actually died in Whaley Bridge; the dam has held thus far.

They will come up with a "1x human life is worth £X" figure, which is what it comes down to.

I don't like it, but then again you can't spend hundred of billions to protect against something that only happens every Y years. Rather them than me, doing that particular set of sums.

So he 'saluted' the 'spirit of the . . . community', did he acknowledge the work of the RAF at all?

The structure is 'maintained' by Canal and River Trust (CaRT). If the maintenance of the structure is on a par with the maintenance of the canal network, someone will have some questions to answer.
Just to add that C&RT were previously known as 'British Waterways' ( or 'British Wasteaways' in some sections of the boating community) before they stopped being Civil Servants.

He's there to measure their gardens ,in order to know how much to tax them .

If it's so unsafe and liable to collapse at a moment's notice how come Steptoe was allowed to go walkabout along the top of it complete with press pack, flunkies and various other hangers on and ar*elickers from the local council and the Canal Trust?

They were hoping it would collapse, thus eliminating the tedious prats wibbleing , and releaving the British public of England's biggest political knob end.

Last edited:
I’m sure Sir Robert Mark and Sir Arthur Young would have been relieved to see that the proud traditions of their fine service are in safe hands.:roll:
And Sir Robert Peel . . .

So he 'saluted' the 'spirit of the . . . community', did he acknowledge the work of the RAF at all?
Indeed he did.
"Incredible response by the community, the volunteers and I think really in co-ordination between the Environment Agency, the Canals and Rivers Trust, the county council, local authorities, police, RAF, everybody... really efficient."

He wasn't there to help, you understand; just collect some political brown-nose points, get photo in news, get in the way of people doing actual work, look concerned, be nasty to the Tories and Call For Inquiries. Scumball politicians do this all the time at every natural or manmade disaster; there'd be dozens of them, swarming around like wasps, if they could get the news reporters to listen to them.

RAF involvement, Army involvement. No RN as yet - the service that's most associated with large bodies of water.

Good to see that 170's on scene, hopefully the Reserve element. Expect to see a comprehensive report (fully compliant to JSP101) detailing the solution within 15 days.

Latest Threads