From Dambusters to Damsavers ….

Well that all depends on whether or not the dam doesn't burst, doesn't it? How funny would it be if they let a load of those bags go only to have the dam collapse a few seconds after the bags landed...

DAS

Old-Salt
So dropping one tonne bags from a height is precision placement?

Yokel

LE
Perhaps 617 Sqn (jointly RN manned these days with the F-35B) can deliver laser guided concrete? Laser guided 1000 lb bombs full of concrete have been used to limit collateral damage.

I imagine they (RAF Chinooks) have got a lot of practice in dropping loads accurately....

Objective; Destroy Dams
Squadron Leader Guy Gibson
Pet; Dog named N*gger
Armament; Bouncing Bomb containing 6000lb of HE
Post Op: Debrief followed by 12 pints of ale and a game of mess rugby

Objective; Save Dam
Squadron Leader; Cherry Gibson
Pet; Cat named Jeremy
Armament; 800lb of Sand, Sustainably sourced and contained in biodegradable sacks
Post Op; Debrief followed by one to one counselling before retiring to a safe space.

Last edited:

Yokel

LE
What was the dam 617 Sgn used for practice before the Dams raid in 1943? I visited it on a school trip, but the name.

I think we should stop being 'funny'. A lot of these crews will have done tours in Iraq or Afgahnistan and done MERT or flown into hot LZs. Dropping bags of ballast from a helicopter hovering at low level is as accurate and lowering it in with a crane. Gravity does the work - as long as the pilots and loadies get the aircraft properly positioned. Bread and butter stuff for SH crews.

What was the dam 617 Sgn used for practice before the Dams raid in 1943? I visited it on a school trip, but the name.

I think we should stop being 'funny'. A lot of these crews will have done tours in Iraq or Afgahnistan and done MERT or flown into hot LZs. Dropping bags of ballast from a helicopter hovering at low level is as accurate and lowering it in with a crane. Gravity does the work - as long as the pilots and loadies get the aircraft properly positioned. Bread and butter stuff for SH crews.
Derwent.

I used to live near there

let the place drown and destroy Chapel-en-le-Frith while you are at it

I used to live near there

let the place drown and destroy Chapel-en-le-Frith while you are at it
So did I.

I have started a new charity.

WELLY BOOTS 4 WHALEY BRIDGE
FREEPOST
HIGH PEAK (Well the bits that are still high after the mass flooding)
DERBYSHIRE (NOT CHUFFING CHESHIRE, THE WOOLY BACK CHAV'S)
SK17 & SOMETHING or Via DERBY DE5 & SOMETHING ELSE

CASH DONATIONATION'S ACCEPTED;

Send to my bank account and I will pass it on.

If the Resi goes then it will make the mass flooding of Buxton in 1974 (ish) a poor second. (That also involved a Resi, heavy rain and a blocked outlet/overflow. (You think they would have learn't by now, it's only 45 years ago).

So did I.

I have started a new charity.

WELLY BOOTS 4 WHALEY BRIDGE
FREEPOST
HIGH PEAK (Well the bits that are still high after the mass flooding)
DERBYSHIRE (NOT CHUFFING CHESHIRE, THE WOOLY BACK CHAV'S)
SK17 & SOMETHING or Via DERBY DE5 & SOMETHING ELSE

CASH DONATIONATION'S ACCEPTED;

Send to my bank account and I will pass it on.

If the Resi goes then it will make the mass flooding of Buxton in 1974 (ish) a poor second. (That also involved a Resi, heavy rain and a blocked outlet/overflow. (You think they would have learn't by now, it's only 45 years ago).
You do realise that nobody in Whaley has traveled as far as Buxton in 45 years? I went to school with kids who had traveled further away than their parents simply by getting on the school bus. The concept of taking advice from 'foreigners' from distant lands such as Chinley and Macclesfield is an alien idea.

Is it just me who is amused over the thought of that damn giving way when not very far off is one that was used for bombing run practice, but nobody has heard of that mission...

Some flying! Just seen it on Sky News. My old man was a fast jet guy, but he's well proud of the R.A.F. wocka pilots.

That dam is pre-Victorian engineering, the guts of 200 years old. I know it's been inspected since, but they built things properly in those days.

Materials weren't properly understood way back, so they just lobbed on strength. Proper, Fred Dibnah stuff.

Well if it works the Chinook squadron will have a new motto - Apres Moi Pas de Deluge......

Latest Threads