From cow culling to chicken strangling

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by old_bloke, Oct 16, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. See Tcblair has yet another cunning plan.

The Army will be used to enforce quarantines in the case of the avian flu.

However reading between the lines does DEFRA have the man power to choke all those chickens?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2087-1827842,00.html

If the Army is to only to be used to enforce quarantines don't the powers that be think it might be a good idea to start some form of immunisation plan now and not after the "Chicken has landed".

Oh my mistake they need the vaccine for themselves, prisoners and other worthy folk.

Anothe foul up by Tcblair

2. From what I understand, no vaccine has been developed against this form of viral flu. There is a big push to get as many people vaccinated against flu as possible.

On another angle, I thought migratory birds were moving south to warmer climes and not west. If it comes here either live shipments or someone who has been handling the birds visiting the UK will have imported it.

And before anyone points it out; yes I do understand that we have winter migrants (birds) but they are travelling from the Steppes of northern Russia or the artic circle.

JJ

3. We all wait in anticipation for the first funny about chokin' chickens.

4. my understanding of it was that some did go southwest and wst rather than just south

5. Surely avian flu should be dealt with by Crabair. I can hear the tapes now - "Wild goose, you are intruding in UK airspace. Change course to reciprocal or we will fire into you...." "Navigator, arm shotgun now!"

6. 307

307 War Hero

It's diversionary shock news, I bet if you looked you'd see that this 'new discovery' has been about for ages. But the gov. felt it's time to take the heat off them so pushed the story forward hence the massive air time, it happens quite a lot, and this is an ideal aside, because of the nubmers they're quoting it like a plague. At the end of the day there's very little joe public can do and very little a soldier would be able to do, unless we're going 28 days later stylee and quarantining population centres where an outbreak has occured. Think about it, if whilst a squaddy is doing this he picks up the virus, but symptoms don't show immediately, as is likely, he goes back to barracks, in his room with the other blokes, before you know it, they've all gone down with it. It happens with colds, sore throats all the other stuff, so it would happen witht his flu. But I doubt very much it is going to get to that stage and like I have said, is diversionary news.

7. Ah the old Survivor scenario! Top telly...

8. Sorry but the only chicken I'm choking will be my own!!!

9. Apologies if this has been said before but there have been 60 or deaths in asia directly because of transmission fm fowl. Apparantly the majority of these where in direct contact with the infected animals - chicken/duck farmers etc. It is a drop in the ocean compared to the millions of deaths each year from curable diseases such as TB and malaria.